should US ban flights to/from Brazil?

should US ban flights to/from Brazil?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

no air marshals, no flights.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/21/us.brazil.air.marshals/index.html?hpt=T2

K

Germany

Moves
22 Oct 10

no

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
no air marshals, no flights.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/10/21/us.brazil.air.marshals/index.html?hpt=T2
oh so they break our laws and instead of condemning these violent thugs you propose a ban on flights to brazil? have you no shame?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by generalissimo
oh so they break our laws and instead of condemning these violent thugs you propose a ban on flights to brazil? have you no shame?
YOUR laws?

Seems once the plane is out of US airspace, your laws don't apply anymore.

Regardless, why are air marshalls stopping people from getting a drink? Is this really what the air marshall's role is designed to do? Seems they should let the flight crew do their job and only interfer if the flight is hijacked.....

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by uzless
YOUR laws?

Seems once the plane is out of US airspace, your laws don't apply anymore.

Regardless, why are air marshalls stopping people from getting a drink? Is this really what the air marshall's role is designed to do? Seems they should let the flight crew do their job and only interfer if the flight is hijacked.....
"The plane's crew asked air marshals to intervene"

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

are the Brasilians up in arms about it, then?

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 Oct 10

are the Brasilians up in arms about it, then?
not that I know of, no.

but this is besides the point, your proposal is obviously fueled by your prejudice and is totally unreasonable.

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

what prejudice? maybe the prejudice is YOURS!

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

do you often side with judges who misuse their office in this way? or is it only because the judge is Brasilian in this instance?

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 Oct 10

do you often side with judges who misuse their office in this way? or is it only because the judge is Brasilian in this instance?
I don't see how this could possibly be considered abuse of power, sorry.

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
22 Oct 10

Brazilians are the World's great partiers. No way we should be stopped from going there.

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

I don't see how this could possibly be considered abuse of power, sorry.
so in general, air marshals shouldn't arrest drunk and assaultive passengers because they might happen to be the wives of Brasilian federal judges? because the air marshals themselves might be arrested on landing?

silicon valley

Moves
22 Oct 10

Originally posted by badmoon
Brazilians are the World's great partiers. No way we should be stopped from going there.
maybe US flights could land in argentina and passengers could hop the train from there.

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 Oct 10

so in general, air marshals shouldn't arrest drunk and assaultive passengers because they might happen to be the wives of Brasilian federal judges? because the air marshals themselves might be arrested on landing?
I believe the air marshals could have taken a more reasonable approach in this case, the woman obviously wasn't a threat to anyone even if her conduct could have been better.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Oct 10

I believe the air marshals could have taken a more reasonable approach in this case, the woman obviously wasn't a threat to anyone even if her conduct could have been better.
During the flight, a female passenger who appeared to be intoxicated tried to serve herself drinks by going to the plane's galley, one source said. The plane's crew asked air marshals to intervene, and two marshals approached the woman, who began struggling with them.

Two sources said the woman bit one of the air marshals, and she was handcuffed and placed under arrest.

If this is a true account, it seems to me that the marshals acted completely appropriately. OF course Z's proposal that we "ban flights to and from Brazil" is absurd, but arresting the air marshals was equally absurd. The authorities of the two countries need to get together and lay out the rules and procedures for this sort of situation.