Moves
    22 Oct '10 23:55
    no lawsuit, no commission.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 23:58
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    And surely you are not equating the Brazilian legal system with Iran's?
    No, I think he was pointing out that even if we were talking about Iran, you'd be saying the same thing.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 23:59
    i don't see why generalissimo should think i am prejudiced just for this proposal. like, how many Brasilians do i know besides generalissimo?

i CAN see why he might be prejudiced (prejudiced FOR Brazil) in this matter.

don't remember if he answered, tho.

should judges be above the law, and permitted to twist the law to protect their own families from lawful arrest and prosecution, even to the extent of wrongfully arresting the originally arresting officers?

if i've got any prejudice here it's the prejudice to assume that, yeah, corruption and cronyism is an old story in South America. you get that in a lot of places, but esp. in S.A. why is generalissimo not outraged by that?
  4. silicon valley
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 00:001 edit
    and if anyone is refusing lawful instructions from air marshals i'd like them taken down hard, thank you, on the broken window theory.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 17:00
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    to no1m, "biting the arm of an air marshal" is a good excuse to plan a lawsuit against the almost-inevitable response.
    If she did it, I'm sure that was her plan.🙄
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 17:01
    and if anyone is refusing lawful instructions from air marshals i'd like them taken down hard, thank you, on the broken window theory.
    Whether what they did was lawful or not should be up to the Brazilian courts, not right wingers on an internet site.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 17:04
    i don't see why generalissimo should think i am prejudiced just for this proposal. like, how many Brasilians do i know besides generalissimo?

should judges be above the law, and permitted to twist the law to protect their own families ...[text shortened]... ou get that in a lot of places, but esp. in S.A. why is generalissimo not outraged by that?
    Your assumption that the judge handling the case is the same judge that is the husband of the woman on the plane isn't in the article and is extraordinarily unlikely.
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    23 Oct '10 18:35

should judges be above the law, and permitted to twist the law to protect their own families ...[text shortened]... ou get that in a lot of places, but esp. in S.A. why is generalissimo not outraged by that?
    The unreasonable nature of the proposal led to assume you might have some sort of bias, either against brazilians or in favor of americans, especially considering you're an american yourself.

Equally I can see how you might be prejudiced for the US in this matter.

Your accusation of the judges being "above the law" is simply nonsensical, its is precisely their duty to abide by the law. From the link "At the Rio airport, the air marshals went to turn over the woman to local authorities but were themselves brought before a federal judge and charged with misdemeanor counts of assault, sources said".

Im well aware of the existene of corruption, I have never denied it. I don't have any reason to be outraged by this particular event, although I do think both sides overreacted.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 01:17
    If I was a lawyer practicing in Brazil, I'd advise them to follow the law. I have never, NEVER advised a client to disobey a court order; perhaps you are unaware, but that would be a serious breach of disciplinary rules and legal ethics.

I remember you railing about some country not wanting to extradite an accused back to the US, yet you ...[text shortened]... getting away with it. And surely you are not equating the Brazilian legal system with Iran's?
    All crimes are not the same. When I said that, I was referring to a person who launched a malicious and devastating cyber attack on US government institutions. That's a little different from breaking up a fight on a plane.

I don't think the Brasilian legal system is lawless or comparable to that of Iran, but as I do not think the marshals did anything wrong in this case and as such, I do not think they should be forced to suffer the inconvenience of having to remain in Brasil for an indefinite period of time.
  10. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 02:27
    Your assumption that the judge handling the case is the same judge that is the husband of the woman on the plane isn't in the article and is extraordinarily unlikely.
    not likely he'd step in himself, directly.

a member of the judicial class protecting a family member of another member of the judicial class may seem natural to you, but should be reprehensible to the rest of us.
  11. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 02:28
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    The unreasonable nature of the proposal led to assume you might have some sort of bias, either against brazilians or in favor of americans, especially considering you're an american yourself.

Equally I can see how you might be prejudiced for the US in this matter.

Your accusation of the judges being "above the law" is simply nonsensical, its is ...[text shortened]... eason to be outraged by this particular event, although I do think both sides overreacted.
    how did the woman NOT deserve to be arrested?
  12. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 02:29
    haven't people been arrested for refusing orders not to smoke on aircraft?
  13. Pepperland
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 17:08
    how did the woman NOT deserve to be arrested?
    how did she deserve to be arrested?

serving yourself drinks isn't illegal.
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 19:42
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    how did she deserve to be arrested?

serving yourself drinks isn't illegal.
    have you ever flown on an airplane? modern public jet transport?

doing anything the cabin crew tells you not to do is illegal.

why would she need to serve herself, unless the crew had already refused her?
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Oct '10 20:23
    have you ever flown on an airplane? modern public jet transport?

doing anything the cabin crew tells you not to do is illegal.

why would she need to serve herself, unless the crew had already refused her?
    z: doing anything the cabin crew tells you not to do is illegal.

Where do you come up with such crap?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree