1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 02:08
    I've often heard that proponents for higher taxes on smoking and alcohol say that it deters smoking and drinking.

If that is true, do higher taxes in general deter working?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 02:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    I've often heard that proponents for higher taxes on smoking and alcohol say that it deters smoking and drinking.

Yes.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 02:54
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Yes.
    So both "work"?
  4. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 03:323 edits

Don't look too directly at the hypocrisy of sin taxes whodey you're going to vaporize your corneas with the blinding glare. Control freaks and state worshippers avert their gaze and pretend the contradiction doesn't exist.

You'll get nothing from them on this topic, it's just too obvious, place it right before them and they'll pretend it isn't there.

A better question might be; are they just lying or do they really believe it?

Are they stupid or plain evil?

Aus is looking at hiking the sin tax on luxury cars, after all being wealthy and/or enjoying the engineering and technology that goes into a high end car is obviously something people should be dissuaded from. Let them drive Trabants.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 05:16

Sin (addiction) industries love sin taxes because governments become dependent on them. "Yes, tax me at ten cents a pack, then why reduce our shared dependence on income?"

Lotteries, anyone? Alcohol? Gasoline? Anything with a big excise tax?

Sorry, it's off topic from your usual rant.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 05:44

Depends on what is being taxed.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 06:00

A higher tax on income, does not result in you keeping more money if you don't work. Higher sales taxes similarly do not result in more retained income if you don't work. So I am not sure where you think the motivation to stop working is coming from.
    You might be able to argue that higher taxes encourage tax evasion.
  8. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 07:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A higher tax on income, does not result in you keeping more money if you don't work. Higher sales taxes similarly do not result in more retained income if you don't work. So I am not sure where you think the motivation to stop working is coming from.
    You might be able to argue that higher taxes encourage tax evasion.
    Of course it is a factor.

A person looks for work, they consider what they're going to end up with in their hand after taking into account how many hours are going to be occupied doing that work, how much it cost to get to work (in time and money) then they decide whether or not it's worth their effort.

They draw a line in the sand, on one side they say "Yes I will be better off doing this job, I will take it." on the other side of the line they say "No, not enough in it for me."

Along comes the state bureaurat twiddling the tax dial, an artificial cost, for every 1% they add to the tax the line moves and a bunch more people decide the job is not worth their effort, reduce the tax and a few more people decide yes it is worth their effort.

Hiking the tax for people doing good things is no different from hiking the tax for people for doing bad things. It's a disincentive. You're one of those people with their hands held up to each side of their face refusing to look at the damage being done by taxing good things.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 08:15

2 different things.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 09:26
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    2 different things.
    How so?

According to the left, smoking and drinking is a "sin", and as we all know, getting rich is a "sin" as well.

So how are they different?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 22:23
    How so?

According to the left, smoking and drinking is a "sin", and as we all know, getting rich is a "sin" as well.

So how are they different?
    You decrease what you tax and increase what you subsidize.

Taxing people who make money and subsidizing those who do not work is quite the double wammy.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Apr '15 23:15

That depends on the relative income and substitution effects.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 01:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That depends on the relative income and substitution effects.
    Nice point, the since tax only controls the poor who do not break the law.
  14. Germany
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 05:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Nice point, the since tax only controls the poor who do not break the law.
    Can you translate this sentence to English?
  15. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Apr '15 14:501 edit

Taxes decrease the benefit of certain actions and as a result people will often choose substitutes. The government can encourage people to work less or smoke less.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree