1. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:25
    Originally posted by Sam The Sham
    Article has one problem. It's a complete work of fiction.

1. Somalia doesn't have a fishing industry and no one is fishing off it's shores anyway. (Because of the pirate problem)

2. No one is dumping any nuclear waste in the ocean.

It's just typical blabbering of the black bay area newspaper, nothing is their fault, whities the devil, etc, etc.
    Wrong on both points. Just keep on reading the thread.
  2. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:25
    Originally posted by generalissimo
    what if they stole all your possessions and took your home away from you?

would you still be chanting "power to the people"?
    With my fist raised in the air, with my fist raised in the air!
  3. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:27
    Article has one problem. It's a complete work of fiction.

1. Somalia doesn't have a fishing industry and no one is fishing off it's shores anyway. (Because of the pirate problem)

2. No one is dumping any nuclear waste in the ocean.

It's just typical blabbering of the black bay area newspaper, nothing is their fault, whities the devil, etc, etc.
    Says you. Evidence for this claim would be most welcome.

In the meantime (I posted this when last this topic was discussed, and it makes for interesting reading whatever your thoughts on the piracy issue):

http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/files/12203_1008piracysomalia.pdf
  4. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:31
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Says you. Evidence for this claim would be most welcome.

In the meantime (I posted this when last this topic was discussed, and it makes for interesting reading whatever your thoughts on the piracy issue):

http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/files/12203_1008piracysomalia.pdf
    The funny part is that I already provided for that evidence later on in the thread.
  5. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:32
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    With my fist raised in the air, with my fist raised in the air!
    then you're more stupid than I thought.

you might as well put a sign on your door saying "feel free to come in and steal my stuff. Long live banditry and pillaging!"
  6. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:33
    then you're more stupid than I thought.

you might as well put a sign on your door saying "feel free to come in and steal my stuff. Long live banditry and pillaging!"
    I always answer a stupid question with an even stupider answer! 😏
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:362 edits
    The funny part is that I already provided for that evidence later on in the thread.
    The really funny part is the link doesn't say anything about nuclear dumping or Somalian fishing being hurt or anyone fishing around Somalia.

Edit:
    ahhh....I found the link you refer to.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/article418665.ece

I think that's hilarious. But since it just happened, what does that have to do with the pirates?
  8. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:43
    I always answer a stupid question with an even stupider answer! 😏
    only a stupid person would be in favor of piracy.

if you think its so good then why don't you move to somalia?

its easy to say you're in favor of piracy when you haven't even experienced it.

I see, you're just another "anarchist" posting from his local starbucks.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:452 edits
    You know, defense attorneys make these sorts of arguments all the time.

"Don't put my client in jail. His mommy didn't give him a lolly when he was 4."

"My client only had to steal because he's been repressed by society."

"We shouldn't judge the less fortunate."

But, they do it for money (or sometimes, because they're ethically obligated to; such as in the case of a court appointment). Why someone would do it when they're not getting paid to is beyond me.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    You know, defense attorneys make these sorts of arguments all the time. [...] But, they do it for money (or sometimes, because they're ethically obligated to; such as in the case of a court appointment). Why someone would do it when they're not getting paid to is beyond me.
    And yet there was you with your sullen defensive silence about Carter's pro-fascist foreign policy a few weeks ago. Were you "getting paid" for that or do you feel as if you are in some way "a court appointment" when such a topic, relating to your own country, comes up on an international web site like this?
  11. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:56
    I think that's hilarious. But since it just happened, what does that have to do with the pirates?
    😞

You do the math...

😞
  12. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    You know, defense attorneys make these sorts of arguments all the time.

"Don't put my client in jail. His mommy didn't give him a lolly when he was 4."

"My client only had to steal because he's been repressed by society."

"We shouldn't judge the less fortunate."

But, they do it for money (or sometimes, because they're ethically obligated to; such ...[text shortened]... appointment). Why someone would do it when they're not getting paid to is beyond me.
    What argument are you talking about?
  13. Standard memberadam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    Ceres
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 15:58
    only a stupid person would be in favor of piracy.

if you think its so good then why don't you move to somalia?

its easy to say you're in favor of piracy when you haven't even experienced it.

I see, you're just another "anarchist" posting from his local starbucks.
    Do you want me to enumerate all the fallacies you just committed, oh great genius one?
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 16:001 edit
    What argument are you talking about?
    This one (from the article):

During the revolutionary war in America, George Washington and America’s founding fathers paid pirates to protect America’s territorial waters, because they had no navy or coast guard of their own. Most Americans supported them. Is this so different?

Did we expect starving Somalians to stand passively on their beaches, paddling in our nuclear waste, and watch us snatch their fish to eat in restaurants in London and Paris and Rome? We didn’t act on those crimes – but when some of the fishermen responded by disrupting the transit corridor for 20 percent of the world’s oil supply, we begin to shriek about “evil.” If we really want to deal with piracy, we need to stop its root cause – our crimes – before we send in the gunboats to root out Somalia’s criminals.

The story of the 2009 war on piracy was best summarized by another pirate, who lived and died in the fourth century BC. He was captured and brought to Alexander the Great, who demanded to know “what he meant by keeping possession of the sea.” The pirate smiled and responded: “What you mean by seizing the whole earth; but because I do it with a petty ship, I am called a robber, while you, who do it with a great fleet, are called emperor.”

Once again, our great imperial fleets sail in today – but who is the robber?

(emphasis added)
  15. Pepperland
    Moves
    06 Aug '09 16:08
    Do you want me to enumerate all the fallacies you just committed, oh great genius one?
    do whatever you want to do, hypocrite.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree