1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 22:16
    It seems like a great thing. How could anybody be against reducing food waste? It seems draconian to some. How about you? Would all of you city dwellers put up with it.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/policies-helped-south-koreas-capital-decrease-food-waste
  2. S. Korea
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 23:44
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    It seems like a great thing. How could anybody be against reducing food waste? It seems draconian to some. How about you? Would all of you city dwellers put up with it.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/policies-helped-south-koreas-capital-decrease-food-waste
    I was a bit inspired by this and did a b it of reading...

There are actually a lot of people suggesting that the current system of recycling everything doesn't really help the environment. A lot of effort goes into collecting it and the output of gas is quite low.

There also has been a lot of misconceptions on what things go into the food garbage waste.

MOreover, there is a lot of criticism about the effort that we put into recycling it. Combined with the low pay off... it's a bit of a difficult situation.

I am not sure what I think about it.
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 06:47
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I was a bit inspired by this and did a b it of reading...

There are actually a lot of people suggesting that the current system of recycling everything doesn't really help the environment. A lot of effort goes into collecting it and the output of gas is quite low.

There also has been a lot of misconceptions on what things go into the food garbage ...[text shortened]... the low pay off... it's a bit of a difficult situation.

I am not sure what I think about it.
    Making people pay for wasted food is a city thing. It could never be enforced in rural areas. I feed my leftover food to my chickens. Nobody is going to inspect a compost pile in the country. Nobody is going to make me pay for food I throw away. My chickens recycle it into eggs anyway.

Can't they just produce more food or import? I thought they were the 9th largest economy in the world.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 10:52
    Making people pay for wasted food is a city thing. It could never be enforced in rural areas. I feed my leftover food to my chickens. Nobody is going to inspect a compost pile in the country. Nobody is going to make me pay for food I throw away. My chickens recycle it into eggs anyway.

Can't they just produce more food or import? I thought they were the 9th largest economy in the world.
    I honestly think that it is just an ambitious effort to make more money, for one.

It is also noteworthy, though, that there are plenty of regulations on the importation of cheap food that makes it so that Korean rice, meat, etc., is supported.

All sorts of tariffs function to keep the Korean agricultural market alive and give more opportunities to the farmers to have a better lifestyle and make some money.

So, my guess is that animal feed is a bit more expensive than it is in other parts of the world. Thus, there is some amount of profitability in this.
  5. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    13 Jun '18 12:57

Its just a way to avoid all that food going into landfill.

From what I understand from what a friend once told me, the Germans have been doing this sort of meticulous recycling of waste for a very long time, and what we consider a "normal" weekly food rubbish disposal, they might take a month to accumulate.

If you are rural it only makes sense to extract every last bit of it and let some farmyard animal or your compost get the benefit.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree