Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member wolfgang59
    Infidel
    31 Jul '12 01:11
    Did NBC get it right?
    are Americans only interested in their own?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/world-affairs/2012/07/nbc-cuts-london-bombings-tribute-because-it-not-tailored-us-audience
  2. 31 Jul '12 02:09
    I would have stopped to watch that, rather than turn the station after seeing the olympic flag being carried around by tree huggers and social activists.
  3. 31 Jul '12 08:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Did NBC get it right?
    are Americans only interested in their own?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/world-affairs/2012/07/nbc-cuts-london-bombings-tribute-because-it-not-tailored-us-audience
    You would think that given the bombing was at least partly an attempt to put pressure on the British govt to pull out of a war that was a US response to 9/11 it may well of been of interest to US citizens.

    No reflection on US citizens, broadcasters invariably under estimate their audience.
  4. 31 Jul '12 08:55
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    are Americans only interested in their own?
    Most of them, pretty much, yeah.
  5. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Jul '12 11:36
    I think that article is an itty bitty touch of an overreaction.

    It was one decision by one channel of how many providing live Olympic coverage? I think I counted six. Dollars to donuts is was available on some channel if you were really interested.

    I never watch much opening ceremonies (maybe a few minutes just to see the colors); by and large, they're boring. I watch sports for the competition, not to watch people walk around with flags.

    If I would watch the ceremony, would I want them to cut away from the 7/7 ceremony? No. But really. It's not a big deal either way. To extrapolate that into something about the relationship between the US and Britain is a bit much.

    Just imagine if the BBC had cut away from a tribute to 9/11, or even the Aurora shooting.


    Okay, I'm imagining...

    Nope... still don't care.
  6. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Jul '12 11:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Most of them, pretty much, yeah.
    As opposed to Dutch and Finns who are walking around worrying about the fate of Mississippi factory worker all day...
  7. 31 Jul '12 12:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    As opposed to Dutch and Finns who are walking around worrying about the fate of Mississippi factory worker all day...
    Umm no, but how many Germans would know who the president of the US is? And how many Americans would know who the chancellor of Germany is?
  8. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    31 Jul '12 12:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Umm no, but how many Germans would know who the president of the US is? And how many Americans would know who the chancellor of Germany is?
    A smaller percentage, certainly. But that's more a product of the fact that Europe imports more media from the US than vice versa.
  9. 01 Aug '12 06:17
    Originally posted by sh76
    A smaller percentage, certainly. But that's more a product of the fact that Europe imports more media from the US than vice versa.
    And here in U.K. we have Rupert Murdoch thank for that...
  10. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    01 Aug '12 10:07 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Did NBC get it right?
    are Americans only interested in their own?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/world-affairs/2012/07/nbc-cuts-london-bombings-tribute-because-it-not-tailored-us-audience
    Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain? Similarly, his comments in Isreal were entirely an appeal to Right Wing sentiment in the US with flagrant (I think irresponsible) disregard for the implications within the Middle East itself. It just would not cross their tiny minds to give a tinker's curse what people think outside the narcissistic utopian fantasy that is right wing America. You may argue that Mitt Romney is not typical or representative for that amazing country of some 400 million, but the reality is that he is going to get enough votes to scare Obama and maybe more.

    It's time people in Britain and elsewhere got more direct in telling Americans just what is wrong with their claptrap. It's time Americans realised what other people really think of them too. An amazing country going to waste.
  11. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 Aug '12 11:45
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain? Similarly, his comments in Isreal were entirely an appeal to Right Wing sentiment in the US with flagrant (I think irresponsible) disregard for the implications within the Middle East itself. It just would not cross their tiny minds to give a tinker's curse what people t ...[text shortened]... icans realised what other people really think of them too. An amazing country going to waste.
    Pray tell.

    What, specifically, did Romney tell us "about American attitudes to Britain"?
  12. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    01 Aug '12 12:36 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    Pray tell.

    What, specifically, did Romney tell us "about American attitudes to Britain"?
    Nothing and I said or implied nothing. Wake up. What time is it over there anyway?

    Note the word "similarly" in my post. It concerns attitudes to other countries and their people.
  13. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    01 Aug '12 13:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Nothing and I said or implied nothing. Wake up. What time is it over there anyway?

    Note the word "similarly" in my post. It concerns attitudes to other countries and their people.
    When you wrote "Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain?" you meant to say or imply nothing?

    Okay. I'll take your word for it. But the phraseology seems a bit odd.
  14. Standard member finnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    01 Aug '12 13:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    When you wrote "Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain?" you meant to say or imply nothing?

    Okay. I'll take your word for it. But the phraseology seems a bit odd.
    Oh sleep on it but I concede the wording is truncated. What Romney actually said does not bear repeating. We have had that on other threads. I assumed it only required the brief reference I gave it.