1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 01:11
    Did NBC get it right?
    are Americans only interested in their own?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/world-affairs/2012/07/nbc-cuts-london-bombings-tribute-because-it-not-tailored-us-audience
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 02:09
    I would have stopped to watch that, rather than turn the station after seeing the olympic flag being carried around by tree huggers and social activists.
  3. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:49
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Did NBC get it right?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/world-affairs/2012/07/nbc-cuts-london-bombings-tribute-because-it-not-tailored-us-audience
    You would think that given the bombing was at least partly an attempt to put pressure on the British govt to pull out of a war that was a US response to 9/11 it may well of been of interest to US citizens.

No reflection on US citizens, broadcasters invariably under estimate their audience.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 08:55
    Most of them, pretty much, yeah.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 11:36
    I think that article is an itty bitty touch of an overreaction.

It was one decision by one channel of how many providing live Olympic coverage? I think I counted six. Dollars to donuts is was available on some channel if you were really interested.

I never watch much opening ceremonies (maybe a few minutes just to see the colors); by and large, they're boring. I watch sports for the competition, not to watch people walk around with flags.

If I would watch the ceremony, would I want them to cut away from the 7/7 ceremony? No. But really. It's not a big deal either way. To extrapolate that into something about the relationship between the US and Britain is a bit much.

Just imagine if the BBC had cut away from a tribute to 9/11, or even the Aurora shooting.

Okay, I'm imagining...

Nope... still don't care.
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 11:37
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Most of them, pretty much, yeah.
    As opposed to Dutch and Finns who are walking around worrying about the fate of Mississippi factory worker all day...
  7. Germany
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 12:04
    Originally posted by sh76
    As opposed to Dutch and Finns who are walking around worrying about the fate of Mississippi factory worker all day...
    Umm no, but how many Germans would know who the president of the US is? And how many Americans would know who the chancellor of Germany is?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    31 Jul '12 12:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Umm no, but how many Germans would know who the president of the US is? And how many Americans would know who the chancellor of Germany is?
    A smaller percentage, certainly. But that's more a product of the fact that Europe imports more media from the US than vice versa.
  9. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 06:17
    A smaller percentage, certainly. But that's more a product of the fact that Europe imports more media from the US than vice versa.
    And here in U.K. we have Rupert Murdoch thank for that...
  10. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 10:071 edit
    Did NBC get it right?
    Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain? Similarly, his comments in Isreal were entirely an appeal to Right Wing sentiment in the US with flagrant (I think irresponsible) disregard for the implications within the Middle East itself. It just would not cross their tiny minds to give a tinker's curse what people think outside the narcissistic utopian fantasy that is right wing America. You may argue that Mitt Romney is not typical or representative for that amazing country of some 400 million, but the reality is that he is going to get enough votes to scare Obama and maybe more.

It's time people in Britain and elsewhere got more direct in telling Americans just what is wrong with their claptrap. It's time Americans realised what other people really think of them too. An amazing country going to waste.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 11:45
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain? Similarly, his comments in Isreal were entirely an appeal to Right Wing sentiment in the US with flagrant (I think irresponsible) disregard for the implications within the Middle East itself. It just would not cross their tiny minds to give a tinker's curse what people t ...[text shortened]... icans realised what other people really think of them too. An amazing country going to waste.
    Pray tell.

What, specifically, did Romney tell us "about American attitudes to Britain"?
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 12:361 edit
    Pray tell.

What, specifically, did Romney tell us "about American attitudes to Britain"?
    Nothing and I said or implied nothing. Wake up. What time is it over there anyway?

Note the word "similarly" in my post. It concerns attitudes to other countries and their people.
  13. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 13:14
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Nothing and I said or implied nothing. Wake up. What time is it over there anyway?

Note the word "similarly" in my post. It concerns attitudes to other countries and their people.
    When you wrote "Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain?" you meant to say or imply nothing?

Okay. I'll take your word for it. But the phraseology seems a bit odd.
  14. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 13:36
    When you wrote "Surely Mitt Romney told you what you need to know about American attitudes to Britain?" you meant to say or imply nothing?

Okay. I'll take your word for it. But the phraseology seems a bit odd.
    Oh sleep on it but I concede the wording is truncated. What Romney actually said does not bear repeating. We have had that on other threads. I assumed it only required the brief reference I gave it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree