1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 13:29
    Should those who pay taxes be the only ones who vote?

If not, then it seems to me that those being taxed are being taxed without adequate representation.

It is really no different than people in a distant land being able to vote in order to raise the taxes of those who actually pay taxes.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 13:38
    Originally posted by whodey
    No.

Any more stupid questions?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 13:49
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    No.

How are those being taxed represented?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 13:57
    How are those being taxed represented?
    By representatives.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:12
    By representatives.
    So long as the so called representatives can oppress a certain segment of society simply because they are a minority. So the minority has no representation.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:19
    Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could elect their own representative?

Just think, everyone would get their own representation.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:21
    People drawing welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote until they get off it, otherwise they'll vote for whoever is promising them more public assistance.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:45
    So long as the so called representatives can oppress a certain segment of society simply because they are a minority. So the minority has no representation.
    The "minority" can vote just like the "majority" can. Do you feel "oppressed" by your elected representatives, whodey? If so, in what way precisely?
  9. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 14:46
    Originally posted by FishHead111
    People drawing welfare shouldn't be allowed to vote until they get off it, otherwise they'll vote for whoever is promising them more public assistance.
    By that logic, do you think military personnel should not be allowed to vote because they might vote for higher military funding?
  10. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:15

If not, then it seems to me that those being taxed are being taxed without adequate representation.

It is really no different than people in a distant land being able to vote in order to raise the taxes of those who actually pay taxes.
    I've floated this one before whodey, your vote should be weighted by how much tax you pay, so beneficiaries and goobermint bureaurats (but I repeat myself, haw haw) don't get to vote, rich folk vote to reduce there taxes but this in effect reduces their voting power, it is a self leveling.
  11. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:51
    No.

That "stupid question" was a matter of hearty debate by our founders. It wasn't dismissed so easily.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:54
    By that logic, do you think military personnel should not be allowed to vote because they might vote for higher military funding?
    Seems that a valid conflict of interests exists there.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:58
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    I've floated this one before whodey, your vote should be weighted by how much tax you pay, so beneficiaries and goobermint bureaurats (but I repeat myself, haw haw) don't get to vote, rich folk vote to reduce there taxes but this in effect reduces their voting power, it is a self leveling.
    A brilliant idea, Wajoma. How many attoseconds of thought did you put into it?

How would you even measure how much taxes someone pays? How would you handle the incentives this gives government employees to obtain high gross incomes with high taxes? How would you deal with the angry mobs of retirees who just lost their vote because they decided, like the lazy freeloaders they are, to retire after 50 years of working?
  14. Germany
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 15:59
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Seems that a valid conflict of interests exists there.
    Good thing there is such a thing as "democracy" that, when working efficiently, balances the various interests and conflicts between them in a society and manages to find a compromise between them.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    19 Apr '16 16:03
    Good thing there is such a thing as "democracy" that, when working efficiently, balances the various interests and conflicts between them in a society and manages to find a compromise between them.
    Unfortunately, democracy encourages building the biggest gang.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree