Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    04 Jan '13 20:25
    http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/01/04/taxpayer-bill-obamas-hawaii-vacations-20-million/

    Taxpayer Bill for Obama’s Hawaii Vacations: $20 Million
    by KEITH KOFFLER on JANUARY 4, 2013, 10:07 AM
    Michelle Obama recently revealed that she and President Obama don’t give Christmas gifts to each other. They merely say, “We’re in Hawaii,” and that’s Christmas gift enough.

    But actually the present is from taxpayers, and it’s an expensive one.

    The total cost to taxpayers of Obama’s vacations to Hawaii since becoming president is likely in excess of $20 million, and possibly much, much more. During a time of budget deficits that threaten the nation’s security and its future, the Obamas have chosen to maintain a “family tradition” and vacation halfway around the world instead of finding far cheaper alternatives closer to home.

    The $20 million figure is based on estimates of the cost of the four Hawaii vacations the Obamas have taken during Christmastime 2009-2012. According to a detailed breakdown by the Hawaii Reporter, the annual excursions in 2009, 2010, and 2011 cost about $4 million, much of it attributable to the expense of taking Air Force One, at an hour rate of about $180,000, on an eighteen-hour roundtrip journey to Honolulu and back.


    New Year's Day, 2012
    But $4 million almost certainly underestimates the true tally, as it does not include many miscellaneous items like the cost of flying advance teams out to Hawaii and separate flights Michelle Obama took in 2010 and 2011, when she left ahead of her husband, who was forced to stay in Washington to finish up work with Congress.

    This year, Obama returned from Hawaii to complete a deal on the Fiscal Cliff and then jetted back to Honolulu, where he is now engaged in Part 2 of his vacation. The second roundtrip flight added about $3.24 million to the tab this time, bringing the cost of the 2012-1013 vacation to well over $7 million.

    If we assume the estimates are probably quite low, then it’s likely to the bill for the combined vacations is more than $20 million.

    Given that much of the cost involves transporting the First Family and its retinue, the Obamas could have saved taxpayers millions by doing what the vast majority of Americans do: taking either one trip a year, or none.

    The Obamas get plenty of vacation. They have sojourned every summer in Martha’s Vineyard except for last year, when campaigning and pre-election concern about appearances got in the way. They often take a side trip somewhere else during the year, and Michelle goes skiing annually out West.

    At the very least, they could spend their Christmas holidays at Camp David or at one of the many fine resorts outside of Washington, which would require only the use of the presidential helicopter to get them there.

    If they must find a warm haven, a rental home on the Gulf Coast, the Atlantic shore of Florida, or even Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands could easily be arranged at a fraction of the price of getting to Hawaii.

    Some argue that Obama is justified in returning to Hawaii because that is where he spent his formative years. But how many of us get to go visit our roots for a two week vacation every year?

    The Obamas probably also feel they must go to Hawaii because they are creatures of habit. While there, they do the same things and visit the same places every year. But their allegiance to routine is costing the taxpayers – including those in the middle class Obama claims to care so much about – millions of dollars.
  2. 04 Jan '13 20:55
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/01/04/taxpayer-bill-obamas-hawaii-vacations-20-million/

    Taxpayer Bill for Obama’s Hawaii Vacations: $20 Million
    by KEITH KOFFLER on JANUARY 4, 2013, 10:07 AM
    Michelle Obama recently revealed that she and President Obama don’t give Christmas gifts to each other. They merely say, “We’re in Hawaii,” and that’s Chr ...[text shortened]... – including those in the middle class Obama claims to care so much about – millions of dollars.
    When you say visit our roots you don't mean our cousins Chicken George, or Kunta Kinte do you?
  3. 04 Jan '13 21:06
    Presidents should only be able to go to the cheapest motel in the country for any vacation.
  4. 04 Jan '13 21:36
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Presidents should only be able to go to the cheapest motel in the country for any vacation.
    If they could keep Obama on vacation permanently no matter the cost we wouldn't have had things like Obama care.
  5. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    04 Jan '13 22:00
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Presidents should only be able to go to the cheapest motel in the country for any vacation.
    Pretty bad form to be jet-setting back and forth to Hawaii on the taxpayer dime when the country's in such bad shape, is it not?
  6. 04 Jan '13 22:04
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Pretty bad form to be jet-setting back and forth to Hawaii on the taxpayer dime when the country's in such bad shape, is it not?
    Where SHOULD he be going on vacation to for the holidays? To a state where he has no personal connection?
  7. 04 Jan '13 22:21
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Pretty bad form to be jet-setting back and forth to Hawaii on the taxpayer dime when the country's in such bad shape, is it not?
    He's worth every penny of it.



  8. 04 Jan '13 22:26
    Could be worse Sasquatch,

    Suppose he went on trips to Kenya for the next four years?


    That's further away. More taxpayers millions.

    He's still worth it though.
  9. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    04 Jan '13 22:56
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    http://www.whitehousedossier.com/2013/01/04/taxpayer-bill-obamas-hawaii-vacations-20-million/

    Taxpayer Bill for Obama’s Hawaii Vacations: $20 Million
    by KEITH KOFFLER on JANUARY 4, 2013, 10:07 AM
    Michelle Obama recently revealed that she and President Obama don’t give Christmas gifts to each other. They merely say, “We’re in Hawaii,” and that’s Chr ...[text shortened]... – including those in the middle class Obama claims to care so much about – millions of dollars.
    Not authoritative (authoritative links are easy to find), but pretty funny:

    http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/george-w-bush-is-the-vacation-president-with-a-total-of-967-days-in-two-terms-or-32-of-his-total/question-2562001/

    During 2 terms as President, Bush took spent all of part of 477 days at Camp David, on retreats and made 77 trips to his Crawford Ranch, in Texas, where he spent all or part of 490 days, on his Ranch.
    The total number of days of vacation or retreat President Bush took, while in office over a period of 8 years was 967 days, or 32% of his total time in office, was spent on vacations or retreats.


    It is estimated that Bush's Texas getaways alone cost over $20 million. You also have to factor in that Obama has two kids to tote around, whereas King George II did not.

    So, I guess in Sasquatchistan Hawaii is somehow a less "valid" state to come from (and have relatives in) than Texas. Nice. Real nice.
  10. 05 Jan '13 02:36
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    If they could keep Obama on vacation permanently no matter the cost we wouldn't have had things like Obama care.
    If we could only send Congress along. Is there room enough on Airforce 1?
  11. 05 Jan '13 02:45
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Where SHOULD he be going on vacation to for the holidays? To a state where he has no personal connection?
    Chicago is his adult home for some time. It seems a matter of common decency and tact that with the nation supposedly about to go over a fiscal cliff, that he might do something symbolic like cutting costs just a bit.

    Imagine, whatever you life style or work, that everything you want is paid for. Your salary is pure savings. That's our President, whatever party. Congressmen and Senators to a lesser degree.
  12. 05 Jan '13 02:47
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    Not authoritative (authoritative links are easy to find), but pretty funny:

    http://www.sodahead.com/united-states/george-w-bush-is-the-vacation-president-with-a-total-of-967-days-in-two-terms-or-32-of-his-total/question-2562001/

    [quote]During 2 terms as President, Bush took spent all of part of 477 days at Camp David, on retreats and made 77 trips to ...[text shortened]... ehow a less "valid" state to come from (and have relatives in) than Texas. Nice. Real nice.
    Camp David is a ten minute flight from the White House and intended to be a working office for all Presidents.
  13. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Jan '13 14:30 / 1 edit
    Is Obama the only president taking expensive trips on the taxpayer's money? Are these things that Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Regan and other presidents never did? If so, then I agree, Obama's being a scumbag taking trips on taxpayer money, especially when he's got a lot of his own. But if not, then this is just another useless Squatch thread.
  14. Standard member sasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    05 Jan '13 16:15
    Originally posted by vivify
    Is Obama the only president taking expensive trips on the taxpayer's money? Are these things that Bush, Clinton, Bush Sr., Regan and other presidents never did? If so, then I agree, Obama's being a scumbag taking trips on taxpayer money, especially when he's got a lot of his own. But if not, then this is just another useless Squatch thread.
    Can't deal in the past anymore, vivi...in this respect, it does not and should not matter what other presidents did. Don't know why you folks refuse to hold the Golden Child accountable for anything.
  15. 05 Jan '13 16:20
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Can't deal in the past anymore, vivi...in this respect, it does not and should not matter what other presidents did. Don't know why you folks refuse to hold the Golden Child accountable for anything.
    I repeat, he's worth every penny of it.