1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 01:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    Would you then consider 9/11 to be terrorism?

Whether we are discussing scientists being assassinated or attacking the economic and defense hub of a said enemy, they are both pretty much after the same thing.

These events have little to do with killing civilians to make them do what you want them to do, rather, its all about weakening a military foe.
    Random acts of violence effecting large groups is terrorism, in that it instills terror in the general population who fear they might be victims.

Carefully orchestrated assassinations pose no threat to most citizens. If you aren't an Iranian nuclear scientist, you have nothing to fear.
  2. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 02:01
    It is absurd to say that that killing was not terrorism.

"One must understand what fear means in a world where murder is legitimate, and where human life is considered trifling...All I ask is that in the midst of a murderous world, we agree to reflect on murder and to make a choice." - Albert Camus

If you are going to advocate actions like that then at least be honest. (Start with yourself.)
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 02:071 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Random acts of violence effecting large groups is terrorism, in that it instills terror in the general population who fear they might be victims.

Carefully orchestrated assassinations pose no threat to most citizens. If you aren't an Iranian nuclear scientist, you have nothing to fear.
    And you don't think that 9/11 was carefully orchestrated? I beg to differ.

I would also add, that if you are an average citizen in Iran you have much to fear in terms of international involvement over the issue.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 10:31
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I don't think so, but many people condemn it and support it at the same time. Are they hypocrites?

http://theweek.com/article/index/223216/should-americans-be-glad-someones-killing-irans-nuclear-scientists
    Terrorism is neither good or bad it is a military tactic favoured by the military underdog who would be annialated if they engaged their enemy in conventional warfare.
  5. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 12:25
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Terrorism is neither good or bad it is a military tactic favoured by the military underdog who would be annialated if they engaged their enemy in conventional warfare.
    Agreed.

'Terrorist' is the term frustrated officials use when their enemy has adroitly placed himself out of reach of retaliation.

"Stand out where I can shoot you g-d-mned...terrorist!"
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 13:32
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Agreed.

'Terrorist' is the term frustrated officials use when their enemy has adroitly placed himself out of reach of retaliation.

"Stand out where I can shoot you g-d-mned...terrorist!"
    Sounds like Obama's approach to Iran. 😛
  7. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 14:07
    Originally posted by whodey
    Sounds like Obama's approach to Iran. 😛
    Sounds like Romney's approach to Iran.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 15:36
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    Sounds like Romney's approach to Iran.
    Sounds like Obama AND Romneys approach to Iran.

Ron Paul anyone?
  9. Standard memberskipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 19:111 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    What ATY said.

The targeted assassination of a specific scientist working on a nuclear program may be a deplorable act (or it may not be, depending on the circumstances), but it is not terrorism.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 19:28
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    BS. Killing a scientist is meant to frighten other scientists so that they won't work in the program thus accomplishing the politically motivated goal of stopping Iran's nuclear program by violence against civilians. That is "terrorism".
    A scientist who is actively working to develop nuclear weapons is hardly a "civilian."
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 19:34
    A scientist who is actively working to develop nuclear weapons is hardly a "civilian."
    Would whacking Oppenheimer have been terrorism?
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 20:441 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Absolutely positively NOT.

I can't even see that as being a debatable issue.

Oppenheimer was actively trying to (and did) kill hundreds of thousands of Japanese people on behalf of the United States. Does that make him a bad person? No. But it does make him a soldier.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 20:511 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    I don't think so, but many people condemn it and support it at the same time. Are they hypocrites?

http://theweek.com/article/index/223216/should-americans-be-glad-someones-killing-irans-nuclear-scientists
    Terrorism, as defined in the Imperial Newspeak Dictionary, is an act that only The Enemy practices.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 21:04
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    The United States and Japan were at war. No one is presently at war with Iran.

Apples and oranges.
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Jan '12 21:14
    Hypothetical:

An Israeli scientist is working on a project which will increase the accuracy of "smart" bombs used by the Israeli military. Two Iranian agents plant a bomb in his car and he and his driver get blown to bits on the streets of Tel Aviv.

Terrorism?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree