1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 04:452 edits
    With so much heated debate here about the upcoming election, a change of topic might be nice. A few years back Rabbi Matityahu Glazerson and others put forth the idea that secret words or codes are contained in the Bible. Some say this is nonsense, since words are also found by connecting the letters at a 45 degree angle in other works, such as Moby Dick and War and Peace. As I sit here in a darkened room, with a soft green light at my side, I wonder about this. Any opinions about the bible code theory?

http://www.realbiblecodes.com/people/glazerson.php

::This message was transmitted from a small opening just above a vast ocean::
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 04:502 edits
    Originally posted by mchill
    With so much heated debate here about the upcoming election, a change of topic might be nice. A few years back Rabbi Matityahu Glazerson and others put forth the idea that secret words or codes are contained in the Bible. Some say this is nonsense, since words are also found by connecting the letters at a 45 degree angle in other works, such as Moby Dick and ...[text shortened]... e/glazerson.php

I typed in the words "Trump" and the code came back, "The end is not only near, it's directly behind you I would not turn around if I were you." 😲

Then I typed in "Cubs and Cleveland Cavs win world championship" and my computer exploded.
  3. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 05:443 edits
    With so much heated debate here about the upcoming election, a change of topic might be nice. A few years back Rabbi Matityahu Glazerson and others put forth the idea that secret words or codes are contained in the Bible. Some say this is nonsense, since words are also found by connecting the letters at a 45 degree angle in other works, such as Moby Dick and ...[text shortened]... e/glazerson.php

It's for real, but it only works in the original language and with the first five books of the Bible.

Most critics apparently know very little about it, because it's more than just occasional strings of words forming intelligible phrases. They occur frequently, are like little hidden prophecies that have been successfully linked to past and current events. This is not what you would see (or expect to see) with any other work of literature.

And it's not just strings of words found at a 45° angle, it can be forwards or backwards or up and down. Isaac Newton believed the Bible held hidden messages, although he didn't have much success finding any. But with computers you can enter a few key words (sort of like google) and find little messages about people and events you might already be familiar with. It's fascinating how many of these have already been found.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 06:22
    Originally posted by lemon lime
    It's for real, but it only works in the original language and with the first five books of the Bible.

Most critics apparently know very little about it, because it's more than just occasional strings of words forming intelligible phrases. They occur frequently, are like little hidden prophecies that have been successfully linked to past and current eve ...[text shortened]... you might already be familiar with. It's fascinating how many of these have already been found.
    And if I'm not mistaken (it's been a few years since I've read about this) I think the search involves looking at every other word, and maybe also every third word.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 08:10

there were several crappy movies made about this
  6. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 14:261 edit

I read the original book when it came out. Aside from the Nostradamus-like backwards-looking post-ictions, it also had the guts to do a lot of prognosticating, most of which centered around nuclear war and Holocaust redux in 2006. Thankfully, none of that came true.

By the time Book II came around, they stuck to finding proof of vague post-ictions of things that already happened (amazing how they were able to predict 9/11 in early 2002).

Long story short: color me skeptical.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 15:18

Is there anything to debate? If it's in the bible (even at 45 degree angle) it has to be true.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '16 16:021 edit
    Some part of the expansion of pi can be found that encodes every true proposition about the world.

Including the above.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree