1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 06:03
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13802612

"We are monitoring the situation but would ask for the public to remain vigilant"

stay strong people... poor little squirrels :'(

"The disease is carried by the non-native grey squirrel which is immune to its effects. Infected red squirrels die within 15 days of contracting the virus. "

poor little bastards don't stand a chance.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 07:08
    Originally posted by trev33
    the blight of the red squirrel in the uk
    Do you mean "plight"? It is the grey squirrel that is the perceived "blight", surely.
  3. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 09:29
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you mean "plight"? It is the grey squirrel that is the perceived "blight", surely.
    ...well the grey squirrels are a blight, so while the title might shortcut things a bit, its a much more economical way of saying " the grey squirrel is a blight on the existence and plight of the red squirrel in the uk"
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 16:28
    arm a cadre of brits with .22s and let them loose on the little bastards.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 17:31
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ...well the grey squirrels are a blight, so while the title might shortcut things a bit, its a much more economical way of saying " the grey squirrel is a blight on the existence and plight of the red squirrel in the uk"
    er... no. the plight of the red squirrel in the uk

sorted
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 17:535 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13802612

"We are monitoring the situation but would ask for the public to remain vigilant"

stay strong people... poor little squirrels :'(

"The disease is carried by the non-native grey squirrel which is immune to its effects. Infected red squirrels die within 15 days of contracting the virus. "

poor little bastards don't stand a chance.
    its a real pity, they are gorgeous, i used to see them regularly when i was a kid just at the back of my moms house, but they have become rarer and rarer. On a positive note i have a 'nest', of bees in my basement, they come in through an 'air brick', which we call it if you know anything about building. Essentially a vent, this is the second year that they have resided with us, of which i am very happy, given their plight.

I originally posted this comment in spirituality as a subject of debate, but it received no attention. It was a quotation from Al Gore, in which he stated that the present environmental crisis, is for want of a better term, a moral issue. Perhaps debates can make something of it.

The more deeply I search for the roots of the global environmental crisis, the more I'm convinced that it is the outer manifestation of an inner crisis that is, for the lack of a better word, spiritual.

Al Gore (1992, 98)

I have come to realise that what Mr Gore probable meant was moral, a moral issue, which is akin to spirituality, in some sense.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    18 Jun '11 21:39
    Diseased squirrels and flesh eating deer...you guys need to bring the Druids back and fix nature over there.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 00:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Diseased squirrels and flesh eating deer...you guys need to bring the Druids back and fix nature over there.
    interesting, but i dont think they ever left, just metamorphosed into something else.
  9. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 04:482 edits
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I remember a few years ago in one of the left-of-centre British newspapers reading a semi-humorous column in response to "the plight of the red squirrel" and the consequent widespread hostility to the grey. The writer opined that this was just another regrettable manifestation of xenophobic hostility to an immigrant population, and that squirrels with different coloured fur should be made as welcome in Britain as men and women with different coloured skin.

More seriously, while the grey squirrel has largely displaced the red in England, there are still reasonably substantial population of red squirrels in Scotland and in the Republic of Ireland, and on the Eurasian continent the red squirrel's range extends from Northern Portugal to the Kamchatka Peninsula in the Russian Far East and Hokkaido in Northern Japan. Worldwide, the species' conservation status is "Least Concern".
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 08:09
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    I remember a few years ago in one of the left-of-centre British newspapers reading a semi-humorous column in response to "the plight of the red squirrel" and the consequent widespread hostility to the grey. The writer opined that this was just another regrettable manifestation of xenophobic hostility to an immigrant population, and that squirrels with diff ...[text shortened]... okkaido in Northern Japan. Worldwide, the species' conservation status is "Least Concern".
    The squirels you refer to in Scotland are not red, they are ginger.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 08:471 edit
    Weeeeeeee! (some "bad" words)
    YouTube
  12. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 10:01
    Originally posted by divegeester
    The squirels you refer to in Scotland are not red, they are ginger.
    Grey,red, ginger any way you lice it, they all taste yummy.
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 11:07
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    lice is good too with a little butter, salt and pepper in a frying pan. But I meant to say slice in my post above. sorry about that.😀
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 12:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    meat is murder, you know its true.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    19 Jun '11 16:48
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    meat is murder, you know its true.
    murder is what we do best.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree