Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 28 Dec '13 21:21
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
  2. 28 Dec '13 21:40
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
    I can't speak for Christians, but it sometimes reveals a poorly developed vocabulary, and a weakness in expression.
  3. 30 Dec '13 10:08 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
    No, swearing isn't sinful. It's not a polite thing to do in certain social contexts, such as around children or non-consenting persons, or in certain settings. There's no swear word in the English language that's sinful to say, in front of consenting adults. Personally, I find "rape" to be the most offensive word to say inappropriately.

    I'm also inclined to think that someone who swears all the time, at the expense of a more sophisticated vocabulary, is simplistic. That doesn't apply to people who only swear intermittently, like myself.
  4. 30 Dec '13 11:34
    I believe it was Will Rogers that said "profanity is the mark of a weak mind trying to be forceful".
  5. 30 Dec '13 14:19
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
    While there may be more eloquent ways to express ideas, but let's realize that no one gets hurt by swearing. I'm not a Christian, but to me for something to be sinful, there should at least be a victim.
  6. 30 Dec '13 14:26 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    While there may be more eloquent ways to express ideas, but let's realize that no one gets hurt by swearing. I'm not a Christian, but to me for something to be sinful, there should at least be a victim.
    There certainly is a victim.
    It's called offensive language for a reason.
    How about using such language in front of a small child? Would that upset your sensibilities? Could a 4 year old be considered a victim?
  7. 30 Dec '13 14:35
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    There certainly is a victim.
    It's called offensive language for a reason.
    How about using such language in front of a small child? Would that upset your sensibilities? Could a 4 year old be considered a victim?
    Context matters for everything. I try to curse in front of four year olds because they do not know when something is and isn't appropriate. I also try not to j-walk in front of 4 year olds for the same reason. Is j-walking now a sin too?
  8. 30 Dec '13 14:40
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    I believe it was Will Rogers that said "profanity is the mark of a weak mind trying to be forceful".
    Most progressives I know cuss.
  9. 30 Dec '13 17:56
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Context matters for everything. I try to curse in front of four year olds because they do not know when something is and isn't appropriate. I also try not to j-walk in front of 4 year olds for the same reason. Is j-walking now a sin too?
    That doesn't make any sense could you please dumb it down for me?
    WTF are you trying to say?
  10. 30 Dec '13 18:47
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    That doesn't make any sense could you please dumb it down for me?
    WTF are you trying to say?
    There are a lot of things that I would not do in front of a four year old. Most of them are not sins they are simply things that might not appropriate in a different context and four years may not understand the context. I would put cursing in that category.
  11. 30 Dec '13 18:55 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    There are a lot of things that I would not do in front of a four year old. Most of them are not sins they are simply things that might not appropriate in a different context and four years may not understand the context. I would put cursing in that category.
    I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Using vile vulgar profanity in front of a 4 year old can be very traumatizing to them and it is harmful to them in their development if they think that it is somehow normal for people to speak in such a manner. If you don't see that you are a fool.
  12. 30 Dec '13 20:35
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Using vile vulgar profanity in front of a 4 year old can be very traumatizing to them and it is harmful to them in their development if they think that it is somehow normal for people to speak in such a manner. If you don't see that you are a fool.
    I would not curse in front of a four year old. If my kids when they were four years old heard profanity I would simply say tell them it is not appropriate language. But hearing a few off-color words simply will not harm their development at all.
  13. 30 Dec '13 20:54
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I would not curse in front of a four year old. If my kids when they were four years old heard profanity I would simply say tell them it is not appropriate language. But hearing a few off-color words simply will not harm their development at all.
    Hearing a few, right.
    But it's attitudes like yours that lead to it becoming a continual stream of such filth in front of women and children to the point where people don't bat an eye at it.
    Why don't you see that?
  14. 30 Dec '13 20:59
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    Hearing a few, right.
    But it's attitudes like yours that lead to it becoming a continual stream of such filth in front of women and children to the point where people don't bat an eye at it.
    Why don't you see that?
    Quackquack's typo is rather unfortunate; of course he meant to say that he tries not to curse in front of four-year olds. It's rather telling that you would seriously think that any person would actively try to curse in front of four-year olds, although it does produce amusing visuals.
  15. 30 Dec '13 21:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Quackquack's typo is rather unfortunate; of course he meant to say that he tries [b]not to curse in front of four-year olds. It's rather telling that you would seriously think that any person would actively try to curse in front of four-year olds, although it does produce amusing visuals.[/b]
    I saw and recognized the typo and didn't make an issue out of it. He went on to defend it as not being that bad a thing in his next post.
    Got it?