1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:21
    where do you christian types stand on swearing? is it sinful?
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Dec '13 21:40
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    I can't speak for Christians, but it sometimes reveals a poorly developed vocabulary, and a weakness in expression.
  3. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 10:081 edit
    No, swearing isn't sinful. It's not a polite thing to do in certain social contexts, such as around children or non-consenting persons, or in certain settings. There's no swear word in the English language that's sinful to say, in front of consenting adults. Personally, I find "rape" to be the most offensive word to say inappropriately.

I'm also inclined to think that someone who swears all the time, at the expense of a more sophisticated vocabulary, is simplistic. That doesn't apply to people who only swear intermittently, like myself.
  4. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 11:34
    I believe it was Will Rogers that said "profanity is the mark of a weak mind trying to be forceful".
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 14:19
    While there may be more eloquent ways to express ideas, but let's realize that no one gets hurt by swearing. I'm not a Christian, but to me for something to be sinful, there should at least be a victim.
  6. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 14:261 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    While there may be more eloquent ways to express ideas, but let's realize that no one gets hurt by swearing. I'm not a Christian, but to me for something to be sinful, there should at least be a victim.
    There certainly is a victim.
    It's called offensive language for a reason.
    How about using such language in front of a small child? Would that upset your sensibilities? Could a 4 year old be considered a victim?
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 14:35
    Originally posted by KilgoreTrout15
    There certainly is a victim.
    It's called offensive language for a reason.
    How about using such language in front of a small child? Would that upset your sensibilities? Could a 4 year old be considered a victim?
    Context matters for everything. I try to curse in front of four year olds because they do not know when something is and isn't appropriate. I also try not to j-walk in front of 4 year olds for the same reason. Is j-walking now a sin too?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 14:40
    I believe it was Will Rogers that said "profanity is the mark of a weak mind trying to be forceful".
    Most progressives I know cuss.
  9. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 17:56
    Context matters for everything. I try to curse in front of four year olds because they do not know when something is and isn't appropriate. I also try not to j-walk in front of 4 year olds for the same reason. Is j-walking now a sin too?
    That doesn't make any sense could you please dumb it down for me?
    WTF are you trying to say?
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 18:47
    That doesn't make any sense could you please dumb it down for me?
    WTF are you trying to say?
    There are a lot of things that I would not do in front of a four year old. Most of them are not sins they are simply things that might not appropriate in a different context and four years may not understand the context. I would put cursing in that category.
  11. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 18:551 edit
    There are a lot of things that I would not do in front of a four year old. Most of them are not sins they are simply things that might not appropriate in a different context and four years may not understand the context. I would put cursing in that category.
    I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Using vile vulgar profanity in front of a 4 year old can be very traumatizing to them and it is harmful to them in their development if they think that it is somehow normal for people to speak in such a manner. If you don't see that you are a fool.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 20:35
    I couldn't disagree with you more.
    Using vile vulgar profanity in front of a 4 year old can be very traumatizing to them and it is harmful to them in their development if they think that it is somehow normal for people to speak in such a manner. If you don't see that you are a fool.
    I would not curse in front of a four year old. If my kids when they were four years old heard profanity I would simply say tell them it is not appropriate language. But hearing a few off-color words simply will not harm their development at all.
  13. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 20:39

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    08 Dec '12
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 20:54
    I would not curse in front of a four year old. If my kids when they were four years old heard profanity I would simply say tell them it is not appropriate language. But hearing a few off-color words simply will not harm their development at all.
    Hearing a few, right.
    But it's attitudes like yours that lead to it becoming a continual stream of such filth in front of women and children to the point where people don't bat an eye at it.
    Why don't you see that?
  15. Germany
    Moves
    30 Dec '13 20:59
    Hearing a few, right.
    But it's attitudes like yours that lead to it becoming a continual stream of such filth in front of women and children to the point where people don't bat an eye at it.
    Why don't you see that?
    Quackquack's typo is rather unfortunate; of course he meant to say that he tries not to curse in front of four-year olds. It's rather telling that you would seriously think that any person would actively try to curse in front of four-year olds, although it does produce amusing visuals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree