1. Garner, NC
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 14:14
    Originally posted by karnachz
    That only applies if you take the Bible literally. Exodus 35:2 states that working on the Sabbath is a sin that's punishable by death.
    Christians don't live under the Old Covenant.

See Galatians 4:21-31.

And if we were to not take Ephesians 5:4 literally, what is an appropriate "figurative" interpretation?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 16:05
    Originally posted by techsouth

And if we were to not take Ephesians 5:4 literally, what is an appropriate "figurative" interpretation?
    Maybe you should take a look at Matthew 5:17 onwards.
  3. Garner, NC
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 16:17
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Maybe you should take a look at Matthew 5:17 onwards.
    Clearly Jesus has some hard teachings, eh? (John 6:60)

Are you suggesting one should follow these scriptures literally, ignore them completely, or do you have a figurative interpretation that still takes them seriously?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 16:19
    Clearly Jesus has some hard teachings, eh? (John 6:60)

Are you suggesting one should follow these scriptures literally, ignore them completely, or do you have a figurative interpretation that still takes them seriously?
    My personal recommendation is not to follow it in general, except in the parts where it basically tells you not to be a dick.
  5. Garner, NC
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 16:35
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    My personal recommendation is not to follow it in general, except in the parts where it basically tells you not to be a dick.
    If that's your opinion, I guess it hardly matters to you whether it's meant to be taken literally or figuratively. You have no dog in the fight.

I'm not familiar with the scripture you're referring to though.

Perhaps you're referring to scriptures such as the golden rule. Nevertheless, in spite of calling his followers to be be kind to others, he does warn them that they would be hated because of following him.

e.g. John 15:18 If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. 19"If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you.…

Although one would not want to be a "dick", one can't necessarily avoid the accusation.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 22:081 edit
    That only applies if you take the Bible literally. Exodus 35:2 states that working on the Sabbath is a sin that's punishable by death.

Yes, karnachz, I do believe in the literal isagogical, exegetical, categorical interpretation of the Holy Spirit inspired Word of God from the original languages. "The Word of God is alive and powerful, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of the soul and spirit, and of the joints and the marrow, and is a critic of thoughts and intents of the heart." Hebrews 4:12 "All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness; that the man of God might be mature, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Spirituality Forum: "Sharia Law" (Page 6) Thread 157141

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    (15-11) "Leviticus 18. Purity in All Sexual Relationships: “The prohibition of incest and similar sensual abominations is introduced with a general warning as to the licentious customs of the Egyptians and Canaanites, and an exhortation to walk in the judgments and ordinances of Jehovah [Leviticus 18:2–5], and is brought to a close with a threatening allusion to the consequences of all such defilements [vv. 24–30].” (Keil and Delitzsch, Commentary, 1:2:411–12.)

The phrase “to uncover their nakedness” (v. 6; see also vv. 7–19) was a Hebrew euphemism for sexual intercourse, and thus all kinds of incestuous relationships were forbidden, including “(1) with a mother, (2) with a step-mother, (3) with a sister or half-sister, (4) with a granddaughter, the daughter of either son or daughter, (5) with the daughter of a step-mother, (6) with an aunt, the sister of either father or mother, (7) with the wife of an uncle on the father’s side, (8) with a daughter-in-law, (9) with a sister-in-law, or brother’s wife, (10) with a woman and her daughter, or a woman and her granddaughter, and (11) with two sisters at the same time” (Keil and Delitzsch, Commentary, 1:2:412).

Other abominations involving sexual perversions such as homosexuality (Leviticus 18:22) and bestiality (Leviticus 18:23) were forbidden with equal severity. These very abominations of the Canaanites caused them to be cast out of the promised land Israel was about to inherit (see Leviticus 18:24–25; 1 Nephi 17:32–35)."

http://www.lds.org/manual/old-testament-student-manual-genesis-2-samuel/leviticus-11-18-a-law-of-performances-and-ordinances-part-2-the-clean-and-the-unclean?lang=eng

Note: The Mosaic Law Codex I: The Freedom Code [Decalogue or Ten Commandments] defines principles of human freedom (this short list of prohibitions doesn't cover the entire doctrine of harmatiology); Codex II: The Spiritual Code including a complete, shadow presentation of Christ and His saving work (Christology and soteriology); Codex III: An Establishment Code (civil statutes, precautions, practical instructions) for the protection and perpetuation of God's chosen Nation of Israel. “Purity in All Sexual Relationships: The prohibition of incest and similar sensual abominations is introduced with a general warning as to the licentious customs of the Egyptians and Canaanites." Lev.18:2–5 Jesus Christ fulfilled the Mosaic Law."
  7. Joined
    24 Jun '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 11:03

Fair question. What I'm really saying is that, whilst I self-identify as a Christian, I don't personally follow all of those rules in the Bible, to the letter. Naturally, you have a First Amendment right to practice the Bible's rules strictly and literally in your own personal life, if you so wish.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jan '14 12:37
    Fair question. What I'm really saying is that, whilst I self-identify as a Christian, I don't personally follow all of those rules in the Bible, to the letter. Naturally, you have a First Amendment right to practice the Bible's rules strictly and literally in your own personal life, if you so wish.
    Fair question. What I'm really saying is that, whilst I self-identify as a Christian, I don't personally follow all of those rules in the Bible, to the letter.

We're not required to follow the Mosaic Law to the letter. It was given for the Dispensation of Israel and fulfilled by Christ the Messiah. We live in the Dispensation of the Church (the body of Christ which will become His Bride after the Rapture).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree