Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    20 Mar '18 23:192 edits
    The battle is lost, but the war has just begun.

    A vote went before the state legislature on the Article V movement and was defeated.

    This was despite 67% of voters in Kansas who are for the legislation.

    This breaks down to 77% of Republicans and 53% of Democrats in favor of the legislation, yet the lawmakers rejected it.

    For those who don't know, this movement is a movement to amend the Constitution devoid of interference from the Federal Congress which has had a abysmal approval rating of around 15% for decades.

    IF Americans want the freak show to stop at the Federal level, with unlimited debt and career politicians, this is the only way to stop it.

    Watch the video and it lists the government officials you need to either lobby or vote out of office.

    https://conventionofstates.com/news/the-daily-ledger-minority-in-kansas-senate-blocks-convention-of-states-1?utm_source=Convention+of+States+Project&utm_campaign=3a66424632-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_45196125c1-3a66424632-214799029
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    21 Mar '18 11:33
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The battle is lost, but the war has just begun.

    A vote went before the state legislature on the Article V movement and was defeated.

    This was despite 67% of voters in Kansas who are for the legislation.

    This breaks down to 77% of Republicans and 53% of Democrats in favor of the legislation, yet the lawmakers rejected it.

    For those who don't k ...[text shortened]... tes+Project&utm_campaign=3a66424632-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_45196125c1-3a66424632-214799029
    It's a power play by Republicans who are desperate to amplify the gains they've made during the past ten-fifteen years in getting Republicans installed as governors and state legislators due to questionable policies creating new district maps and disenfranchising minorities from voting in the name of "voter fraud" (which has been proven to be a solution in search of a problem).

    If Republicans get away with forcing a Constitutional Convention in order to re-write the Constitution as a corporation-loving, citizen-hating document, there will be blood in the streets, whodey, and you'll have to take some of the blame for this after unceasingly promoting this disgusting abolition of human rights in the US.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    21 Mar '18 11:40
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    It's a power play by Republicans who are desperate to amplify the gains they've made during the past ten-fifteen years in getting Republicans installed as governors and state legislators due to questionable policies creating new district maps and disenfranchising minorities from voting in the name of "voter fraud" (which has been proven to be a solution in ...[text shortened]... blame for this after unceasingly promoting this disgusting abolition of human rights in the US.
    Suzy, as I have pointed out the vast majority of those in Kansas support it.

    Should the lawmakers represent their constituents or ignore them?

    Even Dims in the state, 53%, favor it.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Mar '18 15:271 edit
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Suzy, as I have pointed out the vast majority of those in Kansas support it.

    Should the lawmakers represent their constituents or ignore them?

    Even Dims in the state, 53%, favor it.
    Apparently Kansas law allows plebiscites. Why doesn't the 67% use that mechanism?

    Quote:

    Are Kansas City and Missouri petition drives clogging the ballot or celebrating democracy?

    By DAVE HELLING

    September 21, 2015 07:58 PM

    Updated September 21, 2015 11:03 PM

    Kansas City’s voters will have a busy 2016. They’ll help pick a president, members of Congress, state legislators and a new governor.

    But voting for people isn’t the only task they’ll face. Voters are likely to decide important issues in 2016 too, such as extending the city’s 1 percent earnings tax. They may face decisions on a new airport, a downtown convention hotel, even changes to the minimum wage.

    And more: Statewide plebiscites are possible on legal marijuana, campaign finance rules, taxes, voting rights, tobacco taxes, term limits, a jobs program, even a proposed constitutional amendment guaranteeing parents the right to discipline their children without fear of legal interference.

    All of those choices are related to one of the most fiercely guarded tools of local and state democracy: initiative and referendum petitions. The right to gather signatures to force public votes on important issues is enshrined in Kansas City’s charter, and Missouri law.

    Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article36067737.html#storylink=cpy
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    21 Mar '18 17:41
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Suzy, as I have pointed out the vast majority of those in Kansas support it.

    Should the lawmakers represent their constituents or ignore them?

    Even Dims in the state, 53%, favor it.
    This is another dumb post by Whodey. From the article:

    "it fell short of the two-thirds threshold as required by the Kansas Constitution".

    The people weren't "ignored"; the legal requirements to change the constitution simply weren't met. Yet, you spin this in your usual propagandist fashion.
  6. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1398
    21 Mar '18 20:20
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Suzy, as I have pointed out the vast majority of those in Kansas support it.

    Should the lawmakers represent their constituents or ignore them?

    Even Dims in the state, 53%, favor it.
    Even Dims in the state, 53%, favor it.

    The "Dims" ??



    Take your childish name calling and stick it where the sun doesn't shine Whodey!
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    21 Mar '18 20:24
    Originally posted by @vivify
    This is another dumb post by Whodey. From the article:

    "it fell short of the two-thirds threshold as required by the Kansas Constitution".

    The people weren't "ignored"; the legal requirements to change the constitution simply weren't met. Yet, you spin this in your usual propagandist fashion.
    As I have shown the majority of the people, even from both parties, supported it.

    Why then did their representatives not represent them?
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    21 Mar '18 20:46
    Originally posted by @whodey
    As I have shown the majority of the people, even from both parties, supported it.

    Why then did their representatives not represent them?
    Because it's not merely a majority that's needed, but a two-thirds majority.

    It's set up that way because changing a constitution shouldn't be done lightly.
  9. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81257
    21 Mar '18 21:46
    Originally posted by @vivify
    Because it's not merely a majority that's needed, but a two-thirds majority.

    It's set up that way because changing a constitution shouldn't be done lightly.
    two thirds of the people wanted it.
  10. Behind the scenes
    Joined
    27 Jun '16
    Moves
    1398
    21 Mar '18 21:51
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    two thirds of the people wanted it.
    Kansas is a ruby red state. Better luck next time. 😀
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    21 Mar '18 22:002 edits
    Originally posted by @mott-the-hoople
    two thirds of the people wanted it.
    Cite your source. Was there a plebiscite? Or was it someone’s private poll? Or did it even happen?
  12. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    81257
    22 Mar '18 01:14
    Originally posted by @js357
    Cite your source. Was there a plebiscite? Or was it someone’s private poll? Or did it even happen?
    its in the link the OP posted.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    22 Mar '18 02:12
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The battle is lost, but the war has just begun.

    A vote went before the state legislature on the Article V movement and was defeated.

    This was despite 67% of voters in Kansas who are for the legislation.

    This breaks down to 77% of Republicans and 53% of Democrats in favor of the legislation, yet the lawmakers rejected it.

    For those who don't k ...[text shortened]... tes+Project&utm_campaign=3a66424632-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_45196125c1-3a66424632-214799029
    You are such a tool.
  14. Subscriberno1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    In the Gazette
    Joined
    22 Jun '04
    Moves
    39949
    22 Mar '18 02:23
    Originally posted by @whodey
    The battle is lost, but the war has just begun.

    A vote went before the state legislature on the Article V movement and was defeated.

    This was despite 67% of voters in Kansas who are for the legislation.

    This breaks down to 77% of Republicans and 53% of Democrats in favor of the legislation, yet the lawmakers rejected it.

    For those who don't k ...[text shortened]... tes+Project&utm_campaign=3a66424632-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_45196125c1-3a66424632-214799029
    Maybe Kansas should get to export their fiscal policy to the country as a whole. https://www.cbpp.org/blog/timeline-5-years-of-kansas-tax-cut-disaster
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35839
    22 Mar '18 02:27
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Maybe Kansas should get to export their fiscal policy to the country as a whole. https://www.cbpp.org/blog/timeline-5-years-of-kansas-tax-cut-disaster
    Why not?

    Kris Kobach has already exported his brand of voter suppression to half the country.
Back to Top