1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:06
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Yes, and perhaps a bureaucrat has an axe to grind when someone is arrested for murder.
    Murder, saying that homosexuals are immoral, what's the difference?
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:28
    Originally posted by whodey
    Looks like you need fined as well, but I'll cut you a break on only charge you a cool even $100,000.
    I am not your employer, so the fine doesn't apply to me. Or didn't you actually read the article you linked to? Did you just get upset by the misleading headline? You do know that headlines are just click bait?
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:31
    Now that we have destroyed free speech, when do we burn all the books?
    There is a difference between 'free speech' and how you should address your employees.

I have noted that you have declined to answer my question as to whether you would have a problem being addressed in a given way by your own employer. I'll take it as an admission that you do see a problem with it.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:49
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    There is a difference between 'free speech' and how you should address your employees.

I have noted that you have declined to answer my question as to whether you would have a problem being addressed in a given way by your own employer. I'll take it as an admission that you do see a problem with it.
    Free Speech means you are free to speak even in ways people believe you should not. If you don't have the freedom, then you do not have free speech.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Free Speech means you are free to speak even in ways people believe you should not. If you don't have the freedom, then you do not have free speech.
    In short, what is protected speech, is that which is not popular or PC. Politically Correct speech doesn't need protection. It is popular.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Dec '15 18:57

If your employer does not want you as an employee there are a myriad of ways of getting rid of them.

I would rather know what they actually think of me than find out the hard way.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 00:03
    http://freedomoutpost.com/2015/12/nyc-goes-full-nazi-fines-citizens-up-to-250000-for-accurately-referring-to-drag-queens/#96uCpzvOg1114zQw.99

In a previous article, "NYC to Enact Legal Consequences for Using Wrong Pronoun with Transgenders," the government of New York City, headed by Mayor Bill De Blasio, indicated individuals could suffer legal conseque ...[text shortened]... " This update could prove crippling for small business owners should they be found in violation.
    I have found that saying "it" seems to be even more politically incorrect.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 12:30
    So it's ok by you for someone to falsely scream 'Fire' in a crowded theater. Otherwise, no free speech......
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 14:13
    There's no such thing as free speech.
    Only the right to not be physically or financially punished for saying what you want.

And that is a far cry from freedom.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 15:261 edit
    Well clearly you do not have free speech in all contexts. The employer - employee context is one of them. Do you wish that you had free speech in all contexts? Do you believe for example that kids in schools should be allowed to say whatever they like with no negative consequences?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 15:28
    If your employer does not want you as an employee there are a myriad of ways of getting rid of them.

I would rather know what they actually think of me than find out the hard way.
    Is that a 'yes I don't mind being addressed in any way my employer chooses'?
  12. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 15:38
    Is that a 'yes I don't mind being addressed in any way my employer chooses'?
    That's a definite yes from me. My employer can address me in any manner they like.
  13. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 15:39
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    There's no such thing as free speech.
    Only the right to not be physically or financially punished for saying what you want.

And that is a far cry from freedom.
    The absence of force it what defines freedom.
  14. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 16:24
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    No it's not.
  15. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    30 Dec '15 21:221 edit
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Are you really more free if no force of law forbids my kicking your ass, stealing your wallet, and spending your cash on hookers and weed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree