1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 12:231 edit
    Looking at all the "not spots" in the world today, how much of it should be blamed on past decisions from the UN?

For example, Israel was created by the UN. It has been a hot bed ever since. The UN voted to go to war in Korea and now the world is looking at nuclear war today, the UN voted to go to war in Libya and now ISIS has a firm foothold in that country, etc.

Has the UN been a complete failure? Has it only achieved the exact opposite of its intent?
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 12:25
    Was the resolution to go to war in Korea and Libya a correct one?
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 12:33
    The UN is fine as a forum for dialogue and for organization of humanitarian activities.

For security, the UN has proven itself irrelevant over and over again.
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:021 edit
    The UN is suffering form a principal error in ist structure: the Veto in the security council. As long as five states have the power to block anything there won't be a high Impact.

That Israel is what it is today is thanks to the US Veto.
    The Korean war was only brought Forward, since Russia didn't vote.
    The Lybia conflict was a desaster insofar as no specific plan for a post-Gaddafi time was envisaged. Plus the nonsensical frontiers drawn by colonial powers are deemed sacrosanct. Had Lyvia been distributed in roughly three parts: Cyrenaika in the North east, Lybia in the North west and Tuareg in the south a lot what we see today wouldn't have occured. Africa suffers from too big "nations" with artificial frontiers.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:07
    Originally posted by @whodey
    Looking at all the "not spots" in the world today, how much of it should be blamed on past decisions from the UN?

For example, Israel was created by the UN. It has been a hot bed ever since. The UN voted to go to war in Korea and now the world is looking at nuclear war today, the UN voted to go to war in Libya and now ISIS has a firm foothold in that co ...[text shortened]...

Has the UN been a complete failure? Has it only achieved the exact opposite of its intent?
    Israel was not "created by the UN" and the UN did not "vote to go to war" in Korea or Libya.

Anything else I need to clear up about the UN?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:26
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Israel was not "created by the UN" and the UN did not "vote to go to war" in Korea or Libya.

Anything else I need to clear up about the UN?
    I see, so the UN had next to nothing to do with the creation of Israel and Korea was not really a war.

Got it! Thanks for that. 😵
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by @ponderable
    The UN is suffering form a principal error in ist structure: the Veto in the security council. As long as five states have the power to block anything there won't be a high Impact.

The Lybia conflict was a desaster insofar as ...[text shortened]... ee today wouldn't have occured. Africa suffers from too big "nations" with artificial frontiers.
    So the war in Libya was justifiable and would have worked if only they had redistributed the country correctly?

Why was it justifiable?
  8. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 14:15
    So the war in Libya was justifiable and would have worked if only they had redistributed the country correctly?

Why was it justifiable?
    What I said was that the ensuing chaos came from bad planing.
    The existence of strongmen, tyrants or whatever you call them is a direct consequence of colonial heritage.

There had been a civil war in Libya before so called coalition participated.

What are your criteria about a war? Then we can clear that up. whose participation was justified by what would be the interesting question. (Was the war bewteen the Union and the CSA justified? Was the cessetion justified who was the agressor? What measures to avoid a war, what war to avoid unjustness are there?)
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 14:212 edits
    What I said was that the ensuing chaos came from bad planing.
    The existence of strongmen, tyrants or whatever you call them is a direct consequence of colonial heritage.

There had been a civil war in Libya before so called coalition participated.

What are your criteria about a war? Then we can clear that up. whose participation was justified by w ...[text shortened]... ied who was the agressor? What measures to avoid a war, what war to avoid unjustness are there?)
    When is war justified? That is what I'm; asking you, for you see, I'm not an enlightened Prog like Obama. I was hoping you could learn me.

When does war not create chaos? Every war creates chaos.

All I would add is, when you go to war expect chaos, as well as insurgencies for at least a decade, like what happened after WW2 in Nazi Germany, so plan to stay and see it through unlike when Obama left Iraq and ISIS took over.

Also, plan to actually win instead of fostering a growing cancer like North Korea and Iran.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 15:42

For example, Israel was created by the UN. It has been a hot bed ever since. The UN voted to go to war in Korea and now the world is looking at nuclear war today, the UN voted to go to war in Libya and now ISIS has a firm foothold in that co ...[text shortened]...

Israel was not "created by the UN". It was created by war.
  11. Germany
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 16:22
    I see, so the UN had next to nothing to do with the creation of Israel and Korea was not really a war.

Got it! Thanks for that. 😵
    I recommend a reading comprehension course.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 16:29
    Originally posted by @no1marauder
    Israel was not "created by the UN". It was created by war.
    I see, so UN resolution 181 that created the Zionist state then led to a quick war to create the nation of Israel we have today? Is this your argument?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 17:51

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 18:522 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    I don't really care how far back you go. All I want is to hold accountable those who seemingly just want to sit back and blame the orange man for everything wrong in the world even though he has been in office less than a year instead of owning up to their short comings.

The UN is and has been a train wreck. In fact, it has been more destructive than anything
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Aug '17 18:53

The Lybia conflict was a desaster insofar as ...[text shortened]... ee today wouldn't have occured. Africa suffers from too big "nations" with artificial frontiers.
    The UN veto is why we haven't yet had WWIII.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree