The US Afraid of Russia's S-400 SAM ??

The US Afraid of Russia's S-400 SAM ??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
21 Mar 21
1 edit

rain

Moves
21 Mar 21
2 edits

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Okay. Fine. Whether or not the U.S. has the largest military ever made, it has the largest military in the world as of now. Maybe I should've just said "most powerful in human history", since modern warfare is more about capability than physical size.

As such, to claim the U.S.' motives in the OP are from "fear" is unfounded.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
21 Mar 21

@vivify said
I highly doubt "fear" is the reason for the largest military in human history. Whenever war and the U.S. are involved, it's usually over money. The vast majority of U.S. wars in recent decades involve oil-rich nations.

Dig deep enough you'll probably find some sort of financial motivation behind this act.
How's this one, Viv... Ever see the cost of an F-35?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
21 Mar 21

@Duchess64 -
Vivify keeps confirming that he's an absolutely obstinate close-minded fool,
with whom any teacher would be wasting his or her time.

-------------------------------

Thanks for ruining yet another thread, you obstinate fool.
Vivify was CORRECT in his wording, you were WRONG. But you had to make this
BIG issue about it, *saying* he was wrong, just so you could abase him. What an ASS

And as a result, we have many filthy Duchess posts littering the thread.

D

Moves
21 Mar 21

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
21 Mar 21
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
Some posters may not follow this but the US and Turkey are at odds over
Turkey's purchase of Russia's S-400 missile system. In fact, the US has sanctioned Turkey
over the move and will not retract. The reason why the USA does not want Turkey to have
the vaunted S-400 SAM missiles is because they are not "NATO Compliant" - or so they say.

But today's article te ...[text shortened]... a/austin-says-discussed-with-india-its-planned-purchase-of-russian-air-defence-systems-idUSKBN2BC0FC
I think it’s pretty obvious why the USA would look askance at a NATO member buying its armaments from the organisations reason for existence.
As for India buying them I would imagine the pentagon would be jumping for joy at the thought of them being deployed against the Chinese military if needed. Although they’d probably still prefer them to buy the US equivalent.
Why would the US fear weapons being wielded by Turkey regardless of origin. The heavy cost of NATO which falls mainly on the shoulders of the US is offset by US arms sails to its fellow members. I know from experience that the policy of NATO is that weapons held by its members should be interchangeable so clearly the compliance issue is a factor. Also if NATO does end up in a shooting war with Russia do you think Russia is going to honour any resupply agreement with a NATO member, not to mention the advantage of sending your forces against weapons you actually designed yourself. but I believe this is more about dollars than anything else and certainly not a US dread of Russian weaponry in the hands the Turkish military.

D

Moves
21 Mar 21
1 edit

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Mar 21

Turkey has major disputes with many people but this addition to its arsenal hardly makes it any more of a Goliath in terms of Greece and Cyprus than it is already.
As I thought the only issue the USA would have with India buying its weapons from Russia would be a commercial one and the US Pakistan sometime ally situation is one of international diplomacies more surreal jokes.
It seems as though the S-400 system is a credible threat to the F-35 along with most of the USA’s airborne attack weapons including stealth bombers and cruise missiles. There’s a possibility that the system may proliferate around the Middle East and beyond which could be real headache for US power projection in the region.
CNBC
“ One of the people said that Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Algeria, Morocco, Egypt, Vietnam, and Iraq have all discussed buying the S-400 missile system from Russia. The U.S. expects a handful of countries will fold under diplomatic pressure.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/14/countries-interested-in-buying-russian-missile-system-despite-us-sanction-threats.html

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
22 Mar 21

@kevcvs57 -
There’s a possibility that the system may proliferate around the Middle East and beyond which could be real headache for US power projection in the region.

Iran tried to buy the S-400 and the entire WEST freaked out. Russia, at that time, acceded, and sold the Iranians the S-300 system.

the way I see it, we shouldn't expect that treatment from Russia forever.

D

Moves
22 Mar 21

D

Moves
22 Mar 21

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
22 Mar 21

Exactly.

The Christians and the Jews rule the ME with an iron fist.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Mar 21
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
@kevcvs57 -
There’s a possibility that the system may proliferate around the Middle East and beyond which could be real headache for US power projection in the region.

Iran tried to buy the S-400 and the entire WEST freaked out. Russia, at that time, acceded, and sold the Iranians the S-300 system.

the way I see it, we shouldn't expect that treatment from Russia forever.
This is not necessarily a negative thing I wonder if the US would have launched the second invasion of Iraq if such a system was a available to Iraq’s military at the time. That would have saved a lot of blood and treasure on both sides. There should never be sanctions on a country for installing what is essentially a defensive system.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
22 Mar 21

@kevcvs57

Jeeeexus, kev, that was like a mind-meld. Keep it up and I may have to lower Defense Shields.

<grin>

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
22 Mar 21

@earl-of-trumps said
@kevcvs57

Jeeeexus, kev, that was like a mind-meld. Keep it up and I may have to lower Defense Shields.

<grin>
Anything that keeps the cavalry in the stables works for me earl, I thought you knew.