1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 17:33
    “My luck was accentuated by my living in a market system that sometimes produces distorted results, though overall it serves our country well... I’ve worked in an economy that rewards someone who saves the lives of others on a battlefield with a medal, rewards a great teacher with thank-you notes from parents, but rewards those who can detect the mispricing of securities with sums reaching into the billions. In short, fate’s distribution of long straws is wildly capricious.”

(Buffett Says ‘Capricious’ Economy Requires Charity (Update1) by Hugh Son, Bloomberg, June 16, 2010 16:17 EDT)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett#Politics
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 17:34
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's mutating! 😲
    Maybe not as much as initially thought.
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 17:54
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well thats what we were discussing. Does he pay the highest percentage of his income in tax? You are stating it as fact, but is there any evidence that that is the case?
    When you were asked that as a direct question, you dodged the question.
    You seem to think percentage is relevant. What matters is Buffett is in the maximum bracket in every category and pays way more in total than just about everyone.

Tax rates are different for different streams and so are benefits. My passive income does not help my FICA. I cannot use it for a 401K. There are different levels of risks. You seem to accept that cigarettes and city tax can be at different rates and serve different purposes than income tax. Why do you feel it is intrincally unfair that capital gains is at a different rate too?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 17:56
    Originally posted by quackquack
    You seem to think percentage is relevant. What matters is Buffett is in the maximum bracket in every category and pays way more in total than just about everyone.

Tax rates are different for different streams and so are benefits. My passive income does not help my FICA. I cannot use it for a 401K. There are different levels of risks. You seem to ...[text shortened]... me tax. Why do you feel it is intrincally unfair that capital gains is at a different rate too?
    Buffett stated that he only paid 19% of his income for 2006 ($48.1 million) in total federal taxes (due to their being from dividends & capital gains), while his employees paid 33% of theirs, despite making much less money.

5. Germany
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 17:58
    Buffett certainly pays "the most" taxes in absolute terms. He has no greater citizenship rights than you or me but has a much higher tax paying bill. He also pays the highest percentage of taxes in every category of taxes. Thus, he pays a higher percentage of his income in taxes and he pays the same percentage of his income in capital gains.

Nothing ...[text shortened]... s in the highest income tax bracket and he pays his full capital gains taxes as capital gains.
    How do you know how much taxes Buffett pays?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:02
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Buffett stated that he only paid 19% of his income for 2006 ($48.1 million) in total federal taxes (due to their being from dividends & capital gains), while his employees paid 33% of theirs, despite making much less money.

That's just his income as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Since he is a major stakeholder, and the company's value increases by an average of 20% per year, he pays only a minute amount of his income.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:13
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That's just his income as CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Since he is a major stakeholder, and the company's value increases by an average of 20% per year, he pays only a minute amount of his income.
    Ordinary people own houses. When they appreciates in value, they don't pay taxes until it is realized either. Do you think ordinary people should be billed for unrealized appreciation?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:15
    Ordinary people own houses. When they appreciates in value, they don't pay taxes until it is realized either. Do you think ordinary people should be billed for unrealized appreciation?
    I must not know very many ordinary people. The ones who own houses who I know I always thought were extraordinary.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:27
    I must not know very many ordinary people. The ones who own houses who I know I always thought were extraordinary.
    Well, the bank really owns the house when you have a mortgage but certainly people like teachers with regular 9 to 5 jobs have houses.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:31
    When did I say such a thing? All I said was that Warren Buffett pays a very small percentage of his income in taxes, quite contrary to what you are asserting.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:35
    Well, the bank really owns the house when you have a mortgage but certainly people like teachers with regular 9 to 5 jobs have houses.
    Teachers are not ordinary people. Teachers have post-graduate education. The professional class is not "ordinary people" in my world.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:36
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    When did I say such a thing? All I said was that Warren Buffett pays a very small percentage of his income in taxes, quite contrary to what you are asserting.
    He is the maximum bracket in every category and pays an insane total. You illogically consider his capital gains a diluting factor when it adds to his total tax bill.
  13. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:36
    He is the maximum bracket in every category and pays an insane total. You illogically consider his capital gains a diluting factor when it adds to his total tax bill.
    Warren Buffet doesn't agree with your analysis of how much Warren Buffet pays in taxes.
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:43
    Warren Buffet doesn't agree with your analysis of how much Warren Buffet pays in taxes.
    Warren Buffet is a brilliant man and he knows that he gets infinite amounts of free publicity if he argues that his taxes should be higher. It does not mean I have to agree with his idea of how taxes should be calculated or your idea that only extraordinary people can live in a house.
  15. Germany
    Moves
    04 Aug '10 18:47
    Warren Buffet is a brilliant man and he knows that he gets infinite amounts of free publicity if he argues that his taxes should be higher. It does not mean I have to agree with his idea of how taxes should be calculated or your idea that only extraordinary people can live in a house.
    Right-o, he is just lying, then. I suppose his pledge to give 99% of his fortune away to charity is a lie, too? He's just doing it for the publicity!

Whatever makes you sleep at night...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree