1. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    16 May '13 11:002 edits
    Here is an article, its just been in the News and Theresa May got a round of applause from the police federation for her policy;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4928210/Murdering-a-police-officer-to-mean-whole-life-in-prison.html

Is this right? I sympathise with the argument, the police do put themselves in danger and need protection.

But - for discussion - a famous UK court case was the Derek Bentley trial
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

Is there a case for self defense, the police sometimes break into peoples houses, or for diminished responsability as with Derek Bentley?

Your thoughts?
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 May '13 11:361 edit
    Originally posted by e4chris
    Here is an article, its just been in the News and Theresa May got a round of applause from the police federation for her policy;

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/4928210/Murdering-a-police-officer-to-mean-whole-life-in-prison.html

Is this right? I sympathise the argument, the police do put themselves in danger and need protection.

...[text shortened]... k into peoples houses, or for diminished responsability as with Derek Bentley?

Your thoughts?
    There are 2 issues here.

The examples you give would most likely, if applicable, result in the person either being acquitted of murder, or the sentence reduced to manslaughter. So the whole of life tariff point would not apply in any case.

The other issue is whether the murder of a particular type of person should carry a tougher sentence.

As I don't support higher sentences for, say, racially aggravated offences, I don't support a mandatory whole of life sentence for killing a police officer.

I would be distressed, in fact, if someone got a tougher sentence for killing a police officer than for murdering my 7 year old son.
  3. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    16 May '13 12:02
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    There are 2 issues here.

The examples you give would most likely, if applicable, result in the person either being acquitted of murder, or the sentence reduced to manslaughter. So the whole of life tariff point would not apply in any case.

The other issue is whether the murder of a particular type of person should carry a tougher sentence.

A ...[text shortened]... eone got a tougher sentence for killing a police officer than for murdering my 7 year old son.
    I think there is a case for self defense if the police raid a house, otherwise i agree with the policy. Its not that police are sacred, more like what Mrs May said, attacking them is attacking society - you might need them next time. Also I think the law is being changed so police killers get the same as child killers, they can already get life with no parol.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    16 May '13 12:31
    So attacking the police is like attacking society?

You advocate no such thing because those that attack society are not treated as harshly. Instead, you are elevating the police above society.

Whatever.
  5. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    16 May '13 12:351 edit
    whatever ?? u just posted 🙄 if you want to have a go at the sun article be my guest, but don't shoot the messenger!
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    16 May '13 22:391 edit
    There is something a bit big brotherish about this law, but i'd feel a bit of an anarchist disagreeing with it...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree