1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 11:45
    Seemingly he’s sick of the US beibg ripped off.

Surely capitalism is that you don’t keep industry at home, if it’s cheaper to make it some place else?

Isn’t this a case of the US reaping what it sowed for decades: outsourcing everything to third world child labour camps?

And the global free market; the promised paradise, now feels like an international heist?

Yup. Yup.
    Funny old world, when you think about it.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 11:48
    Originally posted by @shavixmir

Isn’t this a case of the US reaping what it sowed for decades: outsourcing everything to third world child labour camps?
    Nah, it's just Trump soliciting bribes like he did with China/ZTE.
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 12:46
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    Nah, it's just Trump soliciting bribes like he did with China/ZTE.
    He must have deduced after reading his lengthy intelligence reports.

Or...watching FOX News.
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 21:50
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 22:47
    Getting smart or staying dumb are choices.
    After 8 years of dumb The People had had enough, and decided against going with dumber.

You can believe what you want but this isn't rocket science. We might occasionally forget what works and what doesn't, but most of us have at least some real word experience and don't try hiding ourselves inside a protective bubble. That bubble you rely so heavily on is a product of your collective imaginations, it doesn't exist and never has.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 23:11
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    After 8 years of dumb The People had had enough, and decided against going with dumber.

You can believe what you want but this isn't rocket science. We might occasionally forget what works and what doesn't, but most of us have at least some real word experience and don't try hiding ourselves inside a ...[text shortened]... rely so heavily on is a product of your collective imaginations, it doesn't exist and never has.
    How long you reckon the 25% import tariff on steel will last?
  7. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    03 Jun '18 23:19
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    What do you think might be the purpose of that tariff?
    If you can work that out you'll be in a position to answer your own question...

hint: think 'long game'
  8. S. Korea
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 00:31
    The import tariff theoretically doesn't even have to last a day -- it can be used solely as a bargaining chip and an assertion of American sovereignty to get better trade deals.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 09:45

You can believe what you want but this isn't rocket science. We might occasionally forget what works and what doesn't, but most of us have at least some real word experience and don't try hiding ourselves inside a ...[text shortened]... rely so heavily on is a product of your collective imaginations, it doesn't exist and never has.
    Real word experience as opposed to open sourced word experience?

But, damn, I hope you don’t mean real world experience.
    Most of you sound like you’ve never left your state, never mind the country.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 09:54
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    The import tariff theoretically doesn't even have to last a day -- it can be used solely as a bargaining chip and an assertion of American sovereignty to get better trade deals.
    Do you really think that’s going to happen??

Either it’s a trade war or the US wll back down.

Yeah, before Paris and Iran, the rest of the world would probably have made attempts at saving Trump’s face.
    But those days are over. It’s pointless being nice to him, he doesn’t listen anyway.

No sir. This is gonna cost the US.

And so, all these tariffs on steel... do you reckon the US will be able to self-produce the required amounts?

No sir! Your complete industry has been outsourced. So companies will be forced to pay much more for the same amount of produce.

Who works in the factories which use this steel?
    Yes... looks like they’re gonna take a hit.

Oh well, so long as they’re making America great again, I’m sure they won’t mind the soup kitchens.
  11. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 10:19
    Originally posted by @shavixmir
    Real word experience as opposed to open sourced word experience?

But, damn, I hope you don’t mean real world experience.
    Most of you sound like you’ve never left your state, never mind the country.
    Some people don't need to travel. Once they make it into their state of supreme ignorance, location becomes a mere detail.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 10:59
    Why do you not answer my question?
    How long do you think the tariffs will last?
  13. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 11:33
    My opinion:

* The aim of the tariff is to fill the pockets of steel magnates, so it is here to stay. As pointed out by a previous poster the USA won't built up the capacity to make steel at home. So it is just that Prices go up for the steel users. That means that Inflation will go up, which is a good Point in the mnind of all People who fear the weight of the deficit.
  14. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 12:17
    If you can work that out you'll be in a position to answer your own question...

hint: think 'long game'
    This type of protectionist move was, if not promised, at least implied during his election campaign. Trump is under some pressure from the investigation into collusion with the Russians to influence the election result. I think the long game is to manage litigation risk by bolstering his support, rather than any coherent economic plan.
  15. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    04 Jun '18 15:101 edit
    Why do you not answer my question?
    How long do you think the tariffs will last?
    I came back to answer your question, but Philokalia beat me to the punch. The tariff could last a few days, or a few weeks, or a few months. The ball is in China's court now, so in order for me to answer your question I would have to know what they might do.

The only thing I might add to Philokalia's answer is that with the economy roaring back we will become less (rather than more) dependent on foreign imports. We are able to produce our own steel just as we are able to access our own oil, but Obama was clearly working to make the US more dependent on other countries by hamstringing any effort at self dependence. Trump has taken the opposite tact by working to make the US less dependent on foreign goods and services. If this bothers you then all I can say is "tough tiddlywinks"... you look after your home and I'll look after mine.

The point of all this is that when China becomes aware of our lessening dependence on them, they might be more inclined to consider a mutually fair trade agreement. It's easy to get what you want from someone who needs what you have, but not so easy from someone who is mostly self dependent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree