1. Germany
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 09:20
    Originally posted by @tom-wolsey
    I saw a thing on tv today where a small US bourbon company is going to be negatively impacted because in retaliation, Europe is putting a 25% tariff on American whiskey.

I'm thinking... well, no one promised you a rose garden, that's the way it goes when you enter into the global market. Lower your prices a little and sell to Americans. If your product is worth it you should do just fine.
    If American exporters start to focus on the American market instead, wouldn't the U.S. lose even more at trade (i.e. the trade deficit would increase), to use Trumpian lingo?
  2. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 10:531 edit
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    If American exporters start to focus on the American market instead, wouldn't the U.S. lose even more at trade (i.e. the trade deficit would increase), to use Trumpian lingo?
    Its hard to tell because for the past 60 years or so, it has been American fleets that have made peaceful global trade possible, and during the cold war America influenced the democratic processes in many a country to favor a pax Americana. As American corporations got fatter and richer America reached out to China under NIXON and blue collar jobs, from the US and her Western allies in the EU and British Commonwealth countries like Australia soon made their steady migration to China and then India. All the while America protected its farmers with huge tariffs against imported agricultural products.

The process has been a steady slow incremental evolution of balancing trade deficits and negotiating trade imbalances with juggling tariff protection rates.
    Furthermore the US-Oil trade monopoly and international currency of exchange and settlement has hugely favored the US.

Trumps actions are short sighted and exhibit the highest form of economic vandalism as he demands a renegotiation of everything without acknowledging in any way how the US has significantly benefited by being the "reluctant" world cop at the center of global trade in the free world. If world leaders cower to his bullying he may pull of the biggest coup in American trade history, but I would rather think that they have a longer memory of the last 60 years and have electorates to answer to who will not be kind to them for pandering to Trump's unhinged claims.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    10 Jun '18 11:30
    Admittedly, I ignored it. The only point of the OP is, some guy in Europe hates the president of the United States and claims not to understand something he said about tariffs. Since that point is completely irrelevant to anyone but the author of the OP, we might as well discuss things that matter.
    No. You missed the point of tariffs.
    You advocate a free market but support Trump's tariffs?
    If US steel was cheaper industry would not import it!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 00:57

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    11 Jun '18 01:13
    Originally posted by @wolfgang59
    No. You missed the point of tariffs.
    You advocate a free market but support Trump's tariffs?
    If US steel was cheaper industry would not import it!
    You misread my comment. The OP made no point about tariffs so how did I miss it?
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    12 Jun '18 04:29
    You misread my comment. The OP made no point about tariffs so how did I miss it?
    Actually, the OP did.

But thanks for opening your gob and covering us in stupidity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree