1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 23:111 edit
    ABC’s Z. Byron Wolf reports:

While the mayor and the two Democratic senators from New York are on-board with the Justice Department on the administration’s decision to try KSM and others in federal courts, there is some growing pushback among conservative Democrats.

"It will be disruptive, costly, and potentially counterproductive to try them as criminals in our civilian courts," said Democrat Jim Webb of Virginia in a paper statement.

Independent Joe Lieberman, nominally a Democrat, calls the move "inconceivable."

Webb has long spoken out against trying detainees in civilian courts. The Virginia city of Alexandria – the so-called"rocket docket" where Zacarias Moussaoui and John Walker Lindh were tried - was another possible venue for the trial of GTMO detainees.

And Webb argues the trials could set a dangerous precedent.

"…we must be especially careful with any decisions to bring onto American soil any of those prisoners who remain a threat to our country but whose cases have been adjudged as inappropriate for trial at all. They do not belong in our country, they do not belong in our courts, and they do not belong in our prisons," Webb said.

Personally,I have to agree w/Web on this. Anybody else agree or disagree?
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 23:19
    Originally posted by utherpendragon

While the mayor and the two Democratic senators from New York are on-board with the Justice Department on the administration’s decision to try KSM and others in federal courts, there is some growing pushback among conservative Democrats.

"It will be disruptive, costly, and potentially counterproductive to try them a ...[text shortened]... aid.

[b]Personally,I have to agree w/Web on this. Anybody else agree or disagree?
    [/b]
    I agree.

But the same should apply to ALL the other dangerous thugs currently in prison. We need to find some island far far away from American soil where we can house all these undesirables - where there's no chance they can escape into some American's backyard.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    13 Nov '09 23:34

"It will be disruptive, costly, and potentially counterproductive to try them a ...[text shortened]... aid.

[b]Personally,I have to agree w/Web on this. Anybody else agree or disagree?
    [/b]
    Totally disagree! I may take issue with the location of the trial, nevertheless ALL those arrested for crimes should be entitled to a trial. I don't know what those folks on the conservative side figure to do with these people...hold them offshore forever!?! 🙄
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 00:26
    Originally posted by bill718
    Totally disagree! I may take issue with the location of the trial, nevertheless ALL those arrested for crimes should be entitled to a trial. I don't know what those folks on the conservative side figure to do with these people...hold them offshore forever!?! 🙄
    First of all,to give them the same treatment as american citizens is absurd.That is protections under our constitution.To treat this as a crime is absurd. It was an act of war and should be handled through military tribunals.They should be put in a military prison forever or executed. I prefer the executions.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 00:44
    First of all,to give them the same treatment as american citizens is absurd.That is protections under our constitution.To treat this as a crime is absurd. It was an act of war and should be handled through military tribunals.They should be put in a military prison forever or executed. I prefer the executions.
    If military tribunals are so good at determining innocence and guilt, why not have all American criminal suspects be subject to the same procedure? Why are we bothering with the system we currently use?
  6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 00:55
    You asked for my opinion...and you got it! Sorry if you disagree:'(
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 00:59
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    If military tribunals are so good at determining innocence and guilt, why not have all American criminal suspects be subject to the same procedure? Why are we bothering with the system we currently use?
    Are you serious?!
  8. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 01:311 edit
    Are you serious?!
    They are not American citizens so they should not be treated as such.It sickens me to think that our tax dollars will be used to support this obviously dangerous misstep.
    Tried in Guantamo, executed in Guantanamo...that's how it should be handled.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 01:47
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    They are not American citizens so they should not be treated as such.
    Are you happy for the rest of the world to adopt the same principle? e.g. In country X, only citizens of country X have a right to trial, not Americans (or any other non-X people) who are being prosecuted in country X?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:07
    BBC headline: Republicans condemn the US administration's decision to try alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York.

To my way of thinking, the 'decision' is a key step in the process of restoring the U.S.'s stature after the hammering it took in the Bush years.

Republican condemnations appear to me to be rooted in small minded retail politics and not principle. Republicans seem to want their country to have the international stature and the legitimacy without doing, and adhering to, what it takes - and what it took in the past - to earn it.
  11. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    Are you happy for the rest of the world to adopt the same principle? e.g. In country X, only citizens of country X have a right to trial, not Americans (or any other non-X people) who are being prosecuted in country X?
    personally i believe if you commit a crime in country x and you are from a different country you should be trailed in and by the laws of country x. this goes for everyone, everywhere.

everyone has a right to a trail.

what's happening here is correct and anyone who see it differently i pity.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:22
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    Tried in Guantamo, executed in Guantanamo...
    guilty before trail.. how interesting.
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:23
    Originally posted by trev33
    personally i believe if you commit a crime in country x and you are from a different country you should be trailed in and by the laws of country x. this goes for everyone, everywhere.

everyone has a right to a trail.

what's happening here is correct and anyone who see it differently i pity.
    no one is saying not to give them a trial.
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:25
    Originally posted by FMF
    BBC headline: [b]Republicans condemn the US administration's decision to try alleged 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed in New York.

To my way of thinking, the 'decision' is a key step in the process of restoring the U.S.'s stature after the hammering it took in the Bush years.

Republican condemnations appear to me to be rooted in small minded re ...[text shortened]... y without doing, and adhering to, what it takes - and what it took in the past - to earn it.[/b]
    The Op mentions or quotes nothing of a Republican. Webb is a democrat and Lieberman is a Independant
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Nov '09 02:35
    no one is saying not to give them a trial.
    "Tried in Guantamo, executed in Guantanamo..."

i see the word but i fail to see the action.

but the main point of my post is that if you commit a crime in a certain country you should be trialed in that country under their laws. and seeing that each state in america has slightly different laws, the only conclusion should be that anyone accused of the 9/11 acts of terrorism (not war) should be trailed in new york state.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree