1. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 20:42
    @sleepyguy said
    Actually this probably helps Trump. It's not like he's counting on votes from Antifastan to put him over the top. Most people are against the destruction and violence that's been allowed to continue in Portland for the last two months. Time to arrest people for terrorism and put a stop to it.
    Oh, won't someone think of the monuments!

But meanwhile, back in the real world, we can see that Trump's ham-fisted and illegal invasion of a US city against the will of its inhabitants is stoking unrest rather than quelling it. I'm sure it will work out for Dear Leader though. Just like gassing and flash-banging peaceful protestors for a photo-op in front of a boarded-up church did.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 20:471 edit
    @Dood111

That's not what the governor or mayor of Portland think, they want those storm troopers out of their state. How it is supposed to go is if some governor WANTS troops to help quell riots and such, they ASK. There was no asking, it was all Trump sticking his ugly orange nose in places he didn't belong.
    So much for states rights.
    Unless they are fighting Covid, THAT our creep in chief Trump puts on to the states with zero actual leadership since his is incapable of basic human emotions like empathy.
    He is a sociopath and narcissist and you no doubt worship the ground he stands on.
  3. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 21:15
    @soothfast said
    Oh, won't someone think of the monuments!

But meanwhile, back in the real world, we can see that Trump's ham-fisted and illegal invasion of a US city against the will of its inhabitants is stoking unrest rather than quelling it. I'm sure it will work out for Dear Leader though. Just like gassing and flash-banging peaceful protestors for a photo-op in front of a boarded-up church did.
    The peaceful protesters in Portland are so peaceful they bought some peaceful commercial grade mortars and peacefully fired them at police and the federal justice center in an attempt to peacefully burn it down. One of the peaceful protesters assaulted a police officer with a peaceful 3 lb sledge hammer. They peacefully burned down a well known and much loved 120 year old statue of an elk for some reason, and have vandalized the whole downtown. Every downtown business is suffering because no one will risk the potential peaceful beating they might receive there. It's like a peaceful war zone.
  4. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 21:27
    @Sleepyguy

Exactly.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 22:16
    @sleepyguy said
    The peaceful protesters in Portland are so peaceful they bought some peaceful commercial grade mortars and peacefully fired them at police and the federal justice center in an attempt to peacefully burn it down. One of the peaceful protesters assaulted a police officer with a peaceful 3 lb sledge hammer. They peacefully burned down a well known and much loved 120 year old s ...[text shortened]... ne will risk the potential peaceful beating they might receive there. It's like a peaceful war zone.
    Links? Dates at least?

If you want me to believe there can be some bad actors on the streets lurking amongst peaceful protestors, I already know that. But why does that require unconstitutional shenanigans up to and including kidnappings? Just a lack of imagination on the part of the Trump administration?
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 22:41
    @sleepyguy said
    The peaceful protesters in Portland are so peaceful they bought some peaceful commercial grade mortars and peacefully fired them at police and the federal justice center in an attempt to peacefully burn it down. One of the peaceful protesters assaulted a police officer with a peaceful 3 lb sledge hammer. They peacefully burned down a well known and much loved 120 year old s ...[text shortened]... ne will risk the potential peaceful beating they might receive there. It's like a peaceful war zone.
    So many villains amongst the peaceful protesters ... yet the feds

*illegally detain people without any evidence.
    *shoot obviously peaceful protesters.
    *can barely produce a couple of videos corroborating their narrative.

Strange that!
  7. Joined
    08 Jun '20
    Moves
    18 Jul '20 22:44
    Enemy combatants don't have rights.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 04:04
    @uglytoproll said
    Enemy combatants don't have rights.
    No. They don’t.

That being said... enemy combatants isn’t a thing. It’s like saying the Yoyadishi-uhnooha’s don’t have rights. No. They don’t. They don’t exist either.

You have soldiers. You have criminals.
    And there are laws on how to deal with both.

That Bush jr. and his cronies imagined a new category so they could hold and torture people for as long as they wanted without the pesky interference of courts is illegal.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 15:141 edit
    @Dood111
    Funny, they LOOK like military troops, carrying machine guns, full riot gear.
    With no ID's of any kind saying which branch of military they are and such, what makes YOU think they are NOT military?
    Tell me the difference. They are black ops, no ID's and you think that is just fine when the governor of Oregon and the mayor of Portland both said we don't want or need any such 'help'.

And you are too stupid to see it for what it is, a political move by Trump to make himself seem strong to his base which I assume means you.
    Trump could care less who tears down what, he ONLY wants to be seen as a hero to his base which is why one day he says one thing, the very next when he gets a negative from Hannity, well forget what I just said, I'm going back on that deal I talked about yesterday.

That is not leadership, that is being led around by his ugly orange nose.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 16:20
    @soothfast said
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53453077

In Portland, Oregon, federal goons in camouflage without identifying insignia are cruising around in unmarked rental vans and seizing people off the street at random. Both the mayor of Portland and the governor of Oregon have demanded that they leave, but the extrajudicial kidnappings continue, along with illegal tear ga ...[text shortened]... tting his (proverbial) bunker out of reach, he may decide instead to forge on and start a civil war.
    I'd say the Trump campaign can write off Oregon in November. It'll go solidly for Biden.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 16:24
    @moonbus said
    I'd say the Trump campaign can write off Oregon in November. It'll go solidly for Biden.
    Trump never had a chance there; he only got 39% in Oregon in 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Oregon
  12. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 16:30
    @sleepyguy said
    Peaceful protests tend to attract a certain segment of rowdies who give the whole protest a bad and wildly inflated reputation. Rather like a few hooligans at a football match.
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    19 Jul '20 16:331 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Trump never had a chance there; he only got 39% in Oregon in 2016. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_United_States_presidential_election_in_Oregon
    After this incident, I'd be surprised if he even showed his face in OR during the run-up to 2020.

Trump has several times crossed swords with state governors ("I have total authority" he once proclaimed, but later retracted). The OR governor has filed suit in federal court, charging abuse of federal power. No doubt the case will drag on long after Trump's demise, but it may set a meaningful precedent. I expect other state governors will jump on the bandwagon and assert their authority, collectively. "Checks and balances" is working, albeit slowly.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree