Two-State Solution??

Two-State Solution??

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by sh76
My post was mostly an attempt to be funny.

Incidentally, my moving out of the neighborhood had absolutely nothing to do with race. The neighborhood changed from primarily whites to primarily different whites.

Compensation? Fine. I agree to that. Let's figure out what's fair and make it part of an over-all settlement. Giving every Palestinian back the hou ...[text shortened]... d in 1946? Impractical and at odds with what's always been done in these sorts of situations.
I agree that the Palestinians aren't going to ever be allowed a "right to return" and that compensation is all that can be asked for. I think they know that and the "right to return" is a negotiating position.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
I agree that the Palestinians aren't going to ever be allowed a "right to return" and that compensation is all that can be asked for. I think they know that and the "right to return" is a negotiating position.
Good. We agree.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by kmax87
To paraphrase a quote I wrote, "Just because you've neatly tagged it, didn't undo the processes of historical land dispossession that make the State of Israel par for the course"
I disagree that the particular land dispossession mentioned was "par for the course". By 1948, international law, as codified in the UN Charter and other places, was supposed to prevent such abuses. The denial of the Palestinian people's right to self-determination was a particularly heinous violation of IL principles and Israel's banning of Palestinian refugees from returning along with the seizure of their property was outrageous. Israel continues to spit on IL by expanding settlements in Palestinian areas - an action condemned repeatedly in UN Security Council resolutions.

Israel is a rogue nation and should be compelled to reach a just settlement with those it has consistently oppressed and brutalized.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

Good. We agree.
The outline of an eventual Israeli-Palestinian agreement are well-known. As of yet, Israel has not been pressured enough to make it happen. Perhaps Netty will be the one to finally make the deal; the "Nixon to China" analogy could hold though his far-right allies weren't very happy about the very limited concessions the speech contained.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

I disagree that the particular land dispossession mentioned was "par for the course". By 1948, international law, as codified in the UN Charter and other places, was supposed to prevent such abuses. The denial of the Palestinian people's right to self-determination was a particularly heinous violation of IL principles and Israel's banning of Palestinian ...[text shortened]... ompelled to reach a just settlement with those it has consistently oppressed and brutalized.
Way to tell one side of the story.

The repeated invasions of Israel and other acts of war by its Arab neighbors and sustained campaigns of terrorism that have been repeatedly launched since 1948 are completely irrelevant, right?

Since you're such a big reader, read up a little on the "destroy Israel" frenzy that Nasser and Co. whipped up the Arab World into in the lead-up to the '67 war.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

Way to tell one side of the story.

The repeated invasions of Israel and other acts of war by its Arab neighbors and sustained campaigns of terrorism that have been repeatedly launched since 1948 are completely irrelevant, right?

Since you're such a big reader, read up a little on the "destroy Israel" frenzy that Nasser and Co. whipped up the Arab World into in the lead-up to the '67 war.
LMAO!

The 1967 War was started by the most successful sneak attack in modern military history. And it wasn't launched by Nasser.

Israel has never been anywhere near being "destroyed" - notwithstanding Zionist propaganda to the contrary.

g

Pepperland

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by scherzo
Ever heard of the Palestinian right of return?
no.

and Im not interested.

g

Pepperland

Moves
16 Jun 09

The continued, stubborn refusal to admit that the creation of a Zionist state foisted on the majority of Palestinian people was a wrong that needs to be compensated for remains an impediment to the settlement of the problem.

Your post is disingenuous or willfully ignorant.
The creation of the american state displaced native-americans, are you willing to give the land back to them as well?

Ok, you can help the palestinians, and improve their situation, but leave Israel as it is.

q

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
The creation of the american state displaced native-americans, are you willing to give the land back to them as well?

Ok, you can help the palestinians, and improve their situation, but leave Israel as it is.
Only Isreal is expected to give back land in wins in wars. It is such a joke to expect any country to give up its security to appease stated enemies. The Arab word own 99+% of the land in the region and has far more in common with the Palestians (including their hatered of Isreal and the Western world). Perhaps it is time for the Arabs to chip in and give land to the Palestinians. Instead of ensuring that conditions are bad and encouraging violence.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09

Native Americans have been compensated as I have pointed out in several threads. So your "argument" is misinformed.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by quackquack
Only Isreal is expected to give back land in wins in wars. It is such a joke to expect any country to give up its security to appease stated enemies. The Arab word own 99+% of the land in the region and has far more in common with the Palestians (including their hatered of Isreal and the Western world). Perhaps it is time for the Arabs to chip in and g ...[text shortened]... land to the Palestinians. Instead of ensuring that conditions are bad and encouraging violence.
Occupying people's lands and brutally repressing them leads invariably to violence. The solution is in front of Israel; perhaps if they ignore hatemongers like yourself they might finally get around to a peaceful resolution.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
16 Jun 09

no.

and Im not interested.
It's like the Israeli right to return, except they don't deserve it.

q

Moves
16 Jun 09

Occupying people's lands and brutally repressing them leads invariably to violence. The solution is in front of Israel; perhaps if they ignore hatemongers like yourself they might finally get around to a peaceful resolution.
Israel is not occupying anyone's land anymore than the United States occupies land they stole from Great Britian who stole from Native americans. If Israel chooses to give back land again (which I certainly would not recommend as no one else gives back land they win in wars to people who wish to whipe them out) they certainly need to make sure that their safety in ensured.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
16 Jun 09

LMAO!

The 1967 War was started by the most successful sneak attack in modern military history. And it wasn't launched by Nasser.

Israel has never been anywhere near being "destroyed" - notwithstanding Zionist propaganda to the contrary.
And, is it your position that the sneak attack you reference was not a pre-emptive strike and that it did not take place after acts of war were already committed against it by Egypt and the UAR?

I didn't say they were close to being destroyed. I said that the goal of Egypt, Syria, et al. was to destroy it.

And, is it possible for us to discuss Israel/Palestine just once without your referring to every point I make as "Zionist propaganda"? I admit I sympathize with Israel, but I'm certainly not a Zionist.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by quackquack
Israel is not occupying anyone's land anymore than the United States occupies land they stole from Great Britian who stole from Native americans. If Israel chooses to give back land again (which I certainly would not recommend as no one else gives back land they win in wars to people who wish to whipe them out) they certainly need to make sure that their safety in ensured.
There is a majority Palestinian population in the Occupied Territories, and 20% of Israeli citizens are Palestinian Arabs. There are few Native Americans left anywhere now.