1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 15:40
    This article claims that happiness worldwide follows a consistent pattern, high in youth, declining in middle age and rising again into old age:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20591893

U-shape pattern is global, but age at which happiness is lowest differs between countries.
    Happiness hits rock bottom at 35.8 years in UK; low point in US only emerges a decade later; in Italy, happiness hits low at 64.2 years.
    US citizens are less happy with each passing decade since 1900; in Europe, happiness declined until 1950 and has been increasing steadily ever since.
    Women are at their least happy at 38.6 years on average; males hit low point at 52.9 years.

Questions:
    What could explain the radical difference in the age of minimum happiness between countries (nearly thirty years in the case of the UK and Italy)?
    What explains rising European happiness versus declining American happiness since 1950?
    What explains the difference in least happy ages between the sexes?

I am rather pleased that I will reach the age of minimum happiness in Britain next year! Things can only look up from here!
  2. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    This article claims that happiness worldwide follows a consistent pattern, high in youth, declining in middle age and rising again into old age:

U-shape pattern is global, but age at which happiness is lowest differs between countries.
    Happiness hits rock bottom at 35.8 years in UK; low point in US only will reach the age of minimum happiness in Britain next year! Things can only look up from here!
    Italians don't pay close attention is why. Americans are the same as the UK if you add in 10 years of cock-eyed optimism (or denial -- you pick).

After WWII, Europe had nowhere to go but up, whereas America was at the top of its game. Just regression to the mean.

Responsibility is depressing. Remove responsibility and we feel happy.
  3. Joined
    14 Dec '07
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 17:30

[i]U-shape pattern is global, but age at which happiness is lowest differs between countries.
    Happiness hits rock bottom at 35.8 years in UK; low point in US only ...[text shortened]... will reach the age of minimum happiness in Britain next year! Things can only look up from here!
    Snide whodey comment in 3...2...
  4. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 10:57
    Originally posted by spruce112358
    Responsibility is depressing. Remove responsibility and we feel happy.
    It seems from the stats given that men are most depressed at the age when they're likely to have young children. And women at most depressed at the age when their children are likely to be leaving home.

So maybe it's only men who feel happy when responsibility is removed!
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 16:05
    It seems from the stats given that men are most depressed at the age when they're likely to have young children. And women at most depressed at the age when their children are likely to be leaving home.

So maybe it's only men who feel happy when responsibility is removed!
    Parental responsibility is never removed.
  6. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    06 Dec '12 20:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    Parental responsibility is never removed.
    I hear that.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree