1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 May '15 23:04
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Possibly the one who is king is the one paying the money and not the politician receiving it.
    Of course the political figure is a puppet! In the US we don't build great monuments to the people who put Presidents in place, but to the Presidents themselves. We don't build pyramids, we build "Libraries".
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 May '15 23:05
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    First, the fact that people keep choosing the same parties doesn't mean they didn't have
    the option to do something different.

And second... "Let's limit it to the last 20 years" is going to always land up with the same
    few parties unless there is some great instability and turmoil going on.
    Terms in the UK have typically [and recently] been 4~5 ...[text shortened]... t, in the last 20 years we have had 3 parties in government. Labour, Tory-Lib coalition,
    Tory.
    They are choosing the same people due to huge amounts of money spent on propaganda to keep people voting for the same old jokers.
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 May '15 00:28
    You both seem to be arguing that democracy doesn't work. I agree.
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 May '15 00:31
    Originally posted by normbenign
    That depends on what you want democracy to do. If you want to give everyone what they want then no, clearly. If you simply do not want to live under tyranny then it does a great job.
  5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 May '15 01:07
    That depends on what you want democracy to do. If you want to give everyone what they want then no, clearly. If you simply do not want to live under tyranny then it does a great job.
    Both the US and British forms of democracy lack purity, a good thing IMHO. They both avoid the mob rule of pure democracy, but also are not liked by populists, especially those who lose elections.

And I further think that they are of limited use in preventing tyranny.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 May '15 01:15
    Both the US and British forms of democracy lack purity, a good thing IMHO. They both avoid the mob rule of pure democracy, but also are not liked by populists, especially those who lose elections.

And I further think that they are of limited use in preventing tyranny.
    We've done o.k. for the last few hundred years, looking around it could have been a lot worse.
  7. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    16 May '15 01:50
    We've done o.k. for the last few hundred years, looking around it could have been a lot worse.
    I agree, but many on both sides of the pond find fault with both electoral processes, and with the "imperialism" of the US and UK.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    16 May '15 06:36
    What's your alternative?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    16 May '15 07:091 edit
    My own opinion is that democracy is far from perfect but does have some upsides. Further, I think it can be improved with a few tweaks, and greatly improved with a few more tweaks.
    My own wish list includes:
    1. Better voting systems that result in better representation. (Several good systems exist but haven't been implemented widely)
    2. The removal of bribery from elections. (Again, some countries do this better than others).
    3. Increased input in between elections and less focus on personality cults. (in Africa we call this voting someone into office as opposed to voting someone into power).
    4. Increased local democracy (this may actually be the biggest item on my list). (again, countries vary wildly as to how much this is the case). (also culture varies as to how much focus is put on local democracy even when it exists).
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    16 May '15 14:21
    It works, as long as the government serves the people and the people do not serve the government. It is the difference between what the US started out to be which was a rejection of the European style government.

The US was doomed when the population allowed themselves to be vassals of the state by allowing the government to take from a person's labor. Do away with the income tax and you'll take a big step in limiting the power of government over a person's life.
  11. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    17 May '15 17:11
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It works, as long as the government serves the people and the people do not serve the government. It is the difference between what the US started out to be which was a rejection of the European style government.

The US was doomed when the population allowed themselves to be vassals of the state by allowing the government to take from a person's labor. D ...[text shortened]... income tax and you'll take a big step in limiting the power of government over a person's life.
    Europe also rejected "European style government" many years ago. The "European style government" rejected in the US constitution was totally unlike the current systems in any European country so this point is empty. The tragedy in England is its temptation to adopt a US style of government, which has to be crazy.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    17 May '15 18:56
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Europe also rejected "European style government" many years ago. The "European style government" rejected in the US constitution was totally unlike the current systems in any European country so this point is empty. The tragedy in England is its temptation to adopt a US style of government, which has to be crazy.
    Really? It is so different? Does the government no longer take its cut of a person's labors? Does the government no longer tell its people what to believe through government run education? I know in Germany that it is illegal to educate your own child. In Germany a family is required to give its children to the government for a 'proper education'.
  13. Germany
    Moves
    18 May '15 05:48
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Really? It is so different? Does the government no longer take its cut of a person's labors? Does the government no longer tell its people what to believe through government run education? I know in Germany that it is illegal to educate your own child. In Germany a family is required to give its children to the government for a 'proper education'.
    To operate, a government needs to employ people (directly and indirectly) and therefore any and all governments "take [a] cut of a person's labors."

Education systems vary greatly throughout Europe but it makes sense to me that someone has to be qualified in order to teach students.
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 19:03
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    What's your alternative?
    I'm not certain I have one. You might find "From Aristocracy, to Monarchy, to Democracy", an essay by Hans Herman Hoppe to be interesting.

He rationally finds Monarchy to be worse than aristocracy, and the progression from early forms of monarchy to constitutional monarchy, on to democracy.

Here is a pull quote: "Democracy radically transforms the limited wars of kings into total wars." This is in-arguably the history of the 20th century in the heyday of democratic growth and social consciousness.

I'm not quite certain I can totally support Dr. Hoppe's radical suggestion of anarcho-capitalism, but could it be any worse than what is upon us now?
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    20 May '15 19:07
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    To operate, a government needs to employ people (directly and indirectly) and therefore any and all governments "take [a] cut of a person's labors."

Education systems vary greatly throughout Europe but it makes sense to me that someone has to be qualified in order to teach students.

So because that is the way it is, that is the way it ought to be?

Qualified to teach what? In the US, we used to mock Russian government schools, but in the last several decades American public schools are looking a lot like Soviet style government schools.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree