1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 11:44
    https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-crime-misogyny/uk-lawmakers-mull-making-misogyny-a-hate-crime-amid-anger-over-murder-idUSL8N2LD4F0

UK lawmakers mull making misogyny a hate crime amid anger over murder

LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - British lawmakers will consider on Monday whether to make misogyny a hate crime amid calls for tougher action on violence against women following national outrage over the murder of a woman who went missing as she walked home in London.

Campaigners say changing the law to classify misogyny as a hate crime would help in the detection and prevention of offences including street harassment, sexual assault, rape and domestic abuse.

An amendment to the Domestic Abuse Bill to be debated in Britain’s upper parliamentary chamber, the House of Lords, would require police in England and Wales to record cases in which crimes were motivated by hatred of someone’s sex or gender.

About a quarter of 43 police constabularies in England and Wales have already made misogyny a hate crime, trialed the policy or are considering implementing it.

Similar protections already exist for race, religion, sexual orientation, disability and transgender identity and can lead to harsher penalties for those convicted.

Campaigners say misogyny generates a culture in which violence and abuse is tolerated, excused and repeated.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 11:56

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 16:251 edit
    @vivify said
    https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-crime-misogyny/uk-lawmakers-mull-making-misogyny-a-hate-crime-amid-anger-over-murder-idUSL8N2LD4F0

UK lawmakers mull making misogyny a hate crime amid anger over murder

LONDON (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - British lawmakers will consider on Monday whether to make misogyny a hate crime amid calls for tougher action on ...[text shortened]... misogyny generates a culture in which violence and abuse is tolerated, excused and repeated.
    Kind of a misleading headline there. From what I could glean, it seeks to make actions that are already crimes and that are motivated by misogyny into hate crimes. It does not seem to seek to make misogyny itself a hate crime.

Do you think "misogyny" should be a hate crime? If someone gets up in a public park and screams "Women should stay in the kitchen" or "Women can't learn math" sure the person is saying something reprehensible, but I presume that you would not argue that the person should be punished by law (unless, of course, you'd like the First Amendment repealed).
  4. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 17:34
    @sh76 said
    Kind of a misleading headline there. From what I could glean, it seeks to make actions that are already crimes and that are motivated by misogyny into hate crimes. It does not seem to seek to make misogyny itself a hate crime.

Do you think "misogyny" should be a hate crime? If someone gets up in a public park and screams "Women should stay in the kitchen" or "Women can't lear ...[text shortened]... t the person should be punished by law (unless, of course, you'd like the First Amendment repealed).
    You're right, that article is using a misleading clickbait title.

Misogyny, in of itself, shouldn't be a hate crime, but crimes motivated by misogyny definitely should.

I don't think such laws would make any difference. A rapist isn't going to change his mind because it's now a hate crime. But if adds more prison time, I'm for it.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 22:30

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 23:44

7. S. Korea
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 23:46
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Well, it's not hard to argue that, but I would point out that your logic can also illustrate as to why we need to not consider these things to be hate crimes.

Hate is a common component of any crime.

It's redundant.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Mar '21 23:502 edits

9. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 00:20
    You are not a native English speaker, so you do not understand that the word 'common' does not, in this case, mean common in all crimes, but merely means that it frequently appears in crime.

It means

Occurring frequently or habitually; usual

I am glad I could be of help explaining the meaning to you.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 03:401 edit

11. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 04:36
    People have paid you for this? Yuck.

When yuo try to correct my sentences, they become garbled:

why we need to not consider these things to be hate crimes.

is completely different from

"... why we need not consider these things hate crimes."

Need not consider is passive; it implies something that is optional. You 'need not worry about shutting the door' is completely different from you need to not shut the door.

By trying to fix it, you've violated the cardinal rule of editing: you changed the meaning.

Moreover, "illustrate as to why" is an extremely common phrase.

A google search of it brings up 55,200 exact matches.

The phrase following it is italicized to even improve the flow.

Now, these statements:

Hate is a common component of any crime.

It's redundant.

The first use of any functions not as every, but in this sense:

whatever or whichever it may be:

e.g., cheap at any price, or, in a phrase like

could happen in any relationship.

" As a Police Officer I knew domestic violence could happen in any relationship, but I thought it would never happen to me..."

What is being said is, obviously, that

hate is a common component of any crime;

is being used like

"She brought me to see the beautiful Klapa singing practice, group singing is a part of any good story."

https://newstoryride.wordpress.com/2020/05/01/the-beginning-of-a-world-lastovo-part-three/

The author is not actually saying all good stories have singing, but the grammar pattern emphasizes that group singing is such a great thing that it can be a feature of all good stories.

Like this sentence:

"There's misdirection, the classic and most important part of any good joke."
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Jokes/comments/2khytb/smartest_dog/

Is misdirection necessarily a part of every single good joke? No. But it is emphasized as being a very classic and important part of a vast array of jokes.

Thus my sentence is completely intelligible to natives, and is a common phrasing.

But keep trying -- it just reveals that yuo can't even read like a native.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 04:531 edit

13. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 05:52
    What the F is a hate crime?

Surely if it’s a crime it’s a crime.
    Does Peter raping Judy get any better if he doesn’t hate women?

Ridiculous.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 06:02

15. S. Korea
    Moves
    18 Mar '21 06:51
    Some background:

Estimates of the number of women raped during the war range between 10,000 and 50,000,[2][6][7][8][9][10] with the further estimate that for one reported rape there are 15 to 20 unreported cases.[11]

Serb forces set up "rape camps", where women were subjected to being repeatedly raped, and only released when pregnant.[10] Gang rape and public rapes in front of villagers and neighbors were not uncommon.[34] On 6 October 1992, the United Nations Security Council established a Commission of Experts chaired by M. Cherif Bassiouni. According to the commission's findings, it was apparent that rape was being used by Serb forces systematically, and had the support of commanders and local authorities.[a] The commission also reported that some perpetrators said they were ordered to rape. Others said that the use of rape was a tactic to make sure the targeted population would not return to the area. The assailants told their victims they would bear a child of the assailant's ethnicity.[36] Pregnant women were detained until it was too late to have the fetus aborted.

Serb forces set up camps where rapes occurred, such as those at Keraterm,[44][c] Vilina Vlas, Manjača,[46] Omarska, Trnopolje, Uzamnica and Vojno.[47] In May 1992, Serb villagers from Snagovo, Zvornik, surrounded and captured the village of Liplje and turned it into a concentration camp. Four hundred people were imprisoned in a few houses and those held there were subject to rape, torture and murder.[48]

Over a five-month period between the spring and summer of 1992, between 5,000 and 7,000 Bosniaks and Croats were held in inhumane conditions at Omarska.[49] At the concentration camp, rape, sexual assaults and torture of men and women were commonplace. One newspaper described the events there as "the location of an orgy of killing, mutilation, beating and rape".[50][51] Rape, murder and physical abuse were commonplace.[52] At the Trnopolje camp an unknown number of women and girls were raped by Bosnian Serb soldiers, police officers and the camp guards.[53] At the Uzamnica camp, one witness in the trial of Oliver Krsmanović, charged with crimes relating to the Višegrad massacres, claimed that the male detainees were at one time forced to rape women.[54]

And more is available at the Wikipedia
    : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_Bosnian_War#Occurrence_of_rape

What is interesting is that these levels of forced rape are actually not unlike what the United Kingdom expereinced through grooming gangs.

While estimates place the number of Bosnian women raped in the war zones as between 10,000 to 70,000, we know an investigation in the UK revealed that as many as 19,000 children were subjected to rape by grooming gangs in a single year:

More than 18,700 suspected victims of child sexual exploitation were identified by local authorities in 2018-19, up from 3,300 five years before.

: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/grooming-child-sex-abuse-exploitation-rotherham-rochdale-police-a9215261.html

I wonder if Duchess64 considers both of these hate crimes?

For I simply think it is a redundant phrase.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree