1. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 17:09
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/feb/15/public-workers-feel-budget-bite/

Salaries of public workers to feel budget bite

By David McGrath Schwartz

Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011 | 2 a.m.

Higher education

Past:

Some university employees, such as maintenance staff and administrative assistants, had to take the same furloughs as state workers. Nontenured professors also took a furlough.

But tenured faculty were protected by contracts. The administration asked these employees to take an “equivalent” of 4.6 percent by increasing their workload. How these are done can vary and there have been complaints about inequity among higher education faculty.

Dale Erquiaga, the governor’s senior adviser, said Sandoval has received a number of complaints about tenured higher education faculty being spared furloughs.

Future:

Sorry, professors. The Board of Regents this summer passed a new rule: The governing body can cut tenured faculty pay up to 6 percent if the state orders a similar cut to its employees. Nevada System of Higher Education Chancellor Dan Klaich, who worked with faculty leadership to pass the regulation, has warned the system is in danger of losing its best professors.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    earth to Palynka: classes are what students are paying tuition for.
    Having the opportunity to help a professor with a research project is an incredible opportunity for students. I'm still proud of the work I did over the summer at a minor university, and I was accepted into Vollhardt's lab at UCB (he wrote the chemistry text I used in junior college!). I ended up not working there for long because my grades were starting to suffer due to lack of time invested in my classes.

Classes are not the only thing universities provide educationally for their students.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 17:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Having the opportunity to help a professor with a research project is an incredible opportunity for students. Classes are not the only thing universities provide educationally for their students.
    that's nice. put it in a class so we can account for it. handling it under the books makes it not measurable and not comparable.
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 18:001 edit
    earth to Palynka: classes are what students are paying tuition for.
    Yes. And tuitions fees are just one of the sources of income for a University. Research income is another very important source. Spin-off companies from research are another important source.

Plus, what you can charge in tuition fees is highly dependent on a University's reputation. Guess what the single biggest factor in a University's reputation is? Its research output.

The point, that you could try and understand rather than posting random articles that often are not relevant, is that an academic doing research is as much doing their job as me writing computer software, street sweepers sweeping the street, and you doing whatever you get paid to do. It's their job. In my institution, the average academic is expected to work roughly one third on teaching-related activities, one third on administration, and one third doing research. This is not optional, it's the job description.

And research is far and away the most important factor considered when considering promotions. The best teacher in the world will get nowhere in your average University if they don't have a good research record. I'm not defending that, but it's the way it works.
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 18:04
    this is UC SANTA CRUZ! not HARVARD! not even PRIVATE! doofus.
    Still not relevant. You're saying that people doing one job are paid too much, and then using someone doing a completely different job as an example of this.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Feb '11 18:09
    UCSC is a minor outlying school!
    That "minor outlying school" was rated 68th in the world (see Times Higher World University Rankings at http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html). It seems minor simply because California's higher education system is so staggeringly good. Which suggests they might be doing something right?
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    17 Feb '11 17:16
    Originally posted by mtthw
    That "minor outlying school" was rated 68th in the world (see Times Higher World University Rankings at http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/top-200.html). It seems minor simply because California's higher education system is so staggeringly good. Which suggests they might be doing something right?
    ok, i'm speaking from california. where it's a minor outlying school.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree