1. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:312 edits
    Originally posted by TerrierJack
    An honest government would have already told us for example that the Saudis were urging us to attack Iran.
    Surely we could have guessed this for ourselves?
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:341 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    No, it isn't. The Constitution defines Treason:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.

Leaking the information that some of our diplomats don't think much of the Italian PM is hardly treason and it's hysterical, Whodeyism to suggest it is.
    🙄

You probably also thought I was being literal about them being hung drawn and quartered...

So, just in case:

I do not really condone the torture and execution of the Wikileaks publishers.

🙄
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:37
    Originally posted by sh76
    🙄

You probably also thought I was being literal about them being hung drawn and quartered...

So, just in case:

🙄
    Anyway, don't you have laws protecting whistle blowers? All he has to do is argue his case that he's serving the public... and voila.
  4. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:37
    I don't see anything even moderately strange about any of this.
    There's nothing moderately strange about spying on the UN?
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:42
    🙄

So, just in case:

🙄
    sh76: Some information has to be kept secret to protect its effectiveness. There's a word for leaking such government information to the public. It's called treason.

That's supposed to be tongue in cheek?
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 18:43
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Surely we could have guessed this for ourselves?
    We could have guessed it but it's much better to actually know it.

It's even better for the Saudi people to know it.
  7. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 20:19
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Jesus K Poo Poo, are you aware that Every gov't spies on every other gov't, friend or foe? Your giggly girlish naivete rantings puts you in the category of a horse toothed jackass on a two week Meth bender.

GRANNY.
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 20:22
    Originally posted by smw6869
    Jesus K Poo Poo, are you aware that Every gov't spies on every other gov't, friend or foe? Your giggly girlish naivete rantings puts you in the category of a horse toothed jackass on a two week Meth bender.

GRANNY.
    REC

😵
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 21:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    sh76: Some information has to be kept secret to protect its effectiveness. There's a word for leaking such government information to the public. It's called treason.

That's supposed to be tongue in cheek?
    That was the post where I was talking about "generals discussing troop movements," not the Wikileaks info. The Wikileaks info was the subject of the drawing and quartering remark which, yes, was tongue in cheek.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Nov '10 21:071 edit
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    How do you "spy" on the UN? Does the UN have secret discussions?
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 02:12
    It appears one of the documents leaked shows that the leader of Yemen has been lying to his parliament and people regarding US bombing attacks on suspected "terrorist" targets in Yemen:

“We’ll continue saying the bombs are ours, not yours,” Saleh said, according to the cable. This prompted Deputy Prime Minister Rashad al–Alimi “to joke that he had just ‘lied’ by telling parliament that the bombs in Ahrab, Abyan and Shebwa (provinces) were American-made but deployed by the ROYG (Republic of Yemen Government.)”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40423710/ns/us_news-security
  12. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 02:56
    What does that mean...that Americans were bombing and Yemen was accepting the blame?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 02:59
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What does that mean...that Americans were bombing and Yemen was accepting the blame?
    The Americans were bombing with the permission of Yemen's President. BUT he knew that the majority of his people wouldn't approve of foreign military action in his country. So he lied to his Parliament and people and said it was his armed forces doing the bombing.

Surely that is something the people of Yemen had a right to know.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 06:11
    Why shouldn't he say it in a private communication to his superior? That's what he thought. It's his job to convey his impressions to his superiors. He has no reason to expect every memo he writes to his superior to be made public.
    If Americans have so low expactations about their diplomats within their governement, then they sholdn't be surprised that some people outside not overly love USA.

I think Wikileaks are doing a great job to expose bad diplomats. The world should have more of these whistleblowers.
  15. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 06:52
    Originally posted by smw6869

GRANNY.
    You do know what the UN is, don't you?
    You do know you are a member (and probably wield the most power), don't you?

Don't you think it's moderately strange you're spying on an institution you are part off? Do you spy on your work? Do you spy on your wife?

And please. A citizen from a country with the CIA as it's intelligence agency really shouldn't be lecturing any other citizen from any other country about international naievity. Don't you think?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree