1. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 10:06
    They should just post all their stuff on Facebook and cut out the middle man.
  2. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 11:21
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Americans were bombing with the permission of Yemen's President. BUT he knew that the majority of his people wouldn't approve of foreign military action in his country. So he lied to his Parliament and people and said it was his armed forces doing the bombing.

Surely that is something the people of Yemen had a right to know.
    Doesn't it mean the US supplied the weapons to the Yemeni government, rather than actually doing the bombing itself?

Not that this makes it any better, of course...
  3. Standard memberspruce112358
    Democracy Advocate
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 13:381 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If Americans have so low expactations about their diplomats within their governement, then they sholdn't be surprised that some people outside not overly love USA.

I think Wikileaks are doing a great job to expose bad diplomats. The world should have more of these whistleblowers.
    This is kind of like free speech gone berserk. Normally, you are allowed to say what you want to whom you want. Now, if you say something to one person you are required to say it to everyone.

Nobody has any secrets, right FabianFnas? By the way, what is your real name, address, phone number and yearly income? I'm sure that's been written down somewhere -- and if it has been written down it needs to be shared, right?

(NB. I am joking, right? I don't actually want that information. I am making a point.)
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 14:03
    If Americans have so low expactations about their diplomats within their governement, then they sholdn't be surprised that some people outside not overly love USA.

I think Wikileaks are doing a great job to expose bad diplomats. The world should have more of these whistleblowers.
    Okay, you're a diplomat. You think the guy you're dealing with is a moron. You're not going to tell that to your superior because your memo might be leaked one day? Please.

Other than the other Arab leaders begging the US to bomb Iran to keep them from getting nukes, the entire "exposé" has not amounted to much.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 14:59
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    Doesn't it mean the US supplied the weapons to the Yemeni government, rather than actually doing the bombing itself?

Not that this makes it any better, of course...
    What part of "lied" didn't you understand?
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 15:19
    Originally posted by sh76
    Okay, you're a diplomat. You think the guy you're dealing with is a moron. You're not going to tell that to your superior because your memo might be leaked one day? Please.

Other than the other Arab leaders begging the US to bomb Iran to keep them from getting nukes, the entire "exposé" has not amounted to much.
    You think the US diplomat corps is a buch of incompetent flabber mouths? Okay, I buy that. Isn't it time to sack them and employ a bunch of competent diplomats then?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 16:14

You're not supposed to write that stuff down. You say it face to face in private.
  8. Joined
    13 Mar '07
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 16:25
    How about the revelation that China is considering pulling the plug on North Korea?
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 16:38
    You think the US diplomat corps is a buch of incompetent flabber mouths?
    No, I think the memo in question is seemingly the work of a competent professional.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 16:40
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    You're not supposed to write that stuff down. You say it face to face in private.
    You mean face to face from Rome to a guy in Washington?

I don't know whether it was a memo or an email, but much of the communication that goes on these days is via the printed word. I don't see anything wrong with relying on electronic communications for long distance discussions, especially when what is being said is not really harmful if released; merely a little embarrassing.
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 16:41
    Originally posted by Teinosuke
    How about the revelation that China is considering pulling the plug on North Korea?
    I meant in terms of information that could harm or embarrass the United States.
  12. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 18:49
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ...They'll get away with it, because the electorate simply does not care anymore. Real reality does not factor in anymore. We are more interested in Tiger Woods' peccadilloes and whether Lindsay should stay in rehab, than the state of the world.
    Now I'm worried. Is Lindsay really coming out of rehab? Is she ready?
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 18:531 edit
    Originally posted by finnegan
    Now I'm worried. Is Lindsay really coming out of rehab? Is she ready?
    It would be a shame if she is not; the world might well lose the artistic masterpiece that the movie version of Linda Lovelace's biography promises to be.

EDIT: Apparently Western culture has been saved; last week the multi-talented (though judging from Watchmen acting ain't one of them) Malik Ackerman was named to replace Lindsey. http://www.tvguide.com/celebrities/linda-lovelace/252942
  14. Subscribershavixmironline
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 22:21
    Okay... brace yourselves...

I just watched the top US ambassador to the UK (on the BBC) saying...

Well, it was put to him that Hilary Clinton giving orders to "gather" DNA information about top diplomats within the UN could be deemed, not so much diplomacy, but more "snooping".

And the fat bastard (that's the US top diplomat) answered: "Oh, I don't think we (i.e. the US) does anything illegal."

Hahahahahahaha
    HahahahahahahaHahahahahahaha
    HahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaHahahaha
    HahahahahahahaHahahahahahahaHahahahahahaha
    HAHAHAHAHAHA

HA
  15. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    30 Nov '10 23:21
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    You do know what the UN is, don't you?
    You do know you are a member (and probably wield the most power), don't you?

Don't you think it's moderately strange you're spying on an institution you are part off? Do you spy on your work? Do you spy on your wife?

And please. A citizen from a country with the CIA as it's intelligence agency really shouldn't ...[text shortened]... any other citizen from any other country about international naievity. Don't you think?
    Your analogies are weaker than a fourth grade anorexic after a 10 meter run. Yes, ALL members of the UN spy on the UN and they spy on other member countries of the UN. Why is this so surprising to you? Are you bonging Salvia, or what?

GRANNY.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree