US election debate

US election debate

Debates

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
09 Apr 07

As has been suggested in the media if it was going to be a race between Senators McCain, Clinton and Obama, Americans would overwhelmingly vote either a black man or a woman into the office of presidency rather that vote in a septuagenarian.

Do people think this is simply media spin, or does this ring true for most?

R
The Guvnor....!!!!

The Dark Side

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by kmax87
As has been suggested in the media if it was going to be a race between Senators McCain, Clinton and Obama, Americans would overwhelmingly vote either a black man or a woman into the office of presidency rather that vote in a septuagenarian.

True to a degree.

But which one is best, I'm not that up to date with all the Sentors, but it does seem like the more money you have the better chance that you can get into power

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by RSMA1234
True to a degree.

But which one is best, I'm not that up to date with all the Sentors, but it does seem like the more money you have the better chance that you can get into power
That's democracy for you...

dsR

Big D

Moves
09 Apr 07

I think right now America would vote for anyone who wasn't a Baby Boomer, and that includes either Obama and McCain. Pretty much, we don't want the next president to be named either Bush or Clinton. Interestingly, the only two candidates running so far who didn't go to college during the sixties are McCain and Obama. Unfortunately for McCain, his campaign is out of gas and Obama suffers from "the all sizzle and no steak" factor. Surprisingly, the poll you cited didn't include Rudy Gulliani, Mitt Romney, nor Fred Thompson.

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
09 Apr 07

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
Unfortunately for McCain, his campaign is out of gas and Obama suffers from "the all sizzle and no steak" factor. Surprisingly, the poll you cited didn't include Rudy Gulliani, Mitt Romney, nor Fred Thompson.
Are we going to have another "where's the beef" rebuttal of a democratic candidate? heh heh.

Apart from Gulliani I haven't heard much of the others. The poll was a news item on Fox, so there goes your depth and balance, though the point of the poll was rather in true News Corp understated style, that Americans would rather vote in a black man or a woman than elect a 70 year old. I dont think Fox were trying to give us the viewer a sense of the depth of candidates but rather a sense of the hopelessness of McCain's campaign.

They also mentioned that he had previously come across as a free speaking maverick and now that he was courting the mainstream, the very demographic that would support him would probably be alienated by his attempts to homogenize into a man for all seasons.

dsR

Big D

Moves
09 Apr 07

Are we going to have another "where's the beef" rebuttal of a democratic candidate? heh heh.

Apart from Gulliani I haven't heard much of the others. The poll was a news item on Fox, so there goes your depth and balance, though the point of the poll was rather in true News Corp understated style, that Americans would rather vote in a black man or a woman th ...[text shortened]... t him would probably be alienated by his attempts to homogenize into a man for all seasons.
McCain is done. The other two, Thompson and Romney are just starting to assert themselves. Obama is either going to be slimed by the Hillary machine or co-opted as the VP. So it really comes down to Hillary vs. the rest of the field.

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
09 Apr 07

McCain is done. The other two, Thompson and Romney are just starting to assert themselves. Obama is either going to be slimed by the Hillary machine or co-opted as the VP. So it really comes down to Hillary vs. the rest of the field.
Have you seen her press release photograph on her website? Now there's a scary smurf mugshot! Not that I am swayed by the cult of personality or anything.

No Name Maddox

County Doledrum

Moves
09 Apr 07
1 edit

Did anyone see McCain on Storyville recently? I have no time for his domestic politics, but his foreign policy grasp was quite heartening - if there has to be another Republican in the White House, let it be him.

I can't say I believe the "out of steam" characterisation, either - they said that about John Kerry just before he won the nomination.

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by Amaurote
Did anyone see McCain on Storyville recently? I have no time for his domestic politics, but his foreign policy grasp was quite heartening - if there has to be another Republican in the White House, let it be him.

I can't say I believe the "out of steam" characterisation, either - they said that about John Kerry just before he won the nomination.
If he manages to win his party's nomination, does it then mean, that the GOP is on a hiding to nothing in 2008?

Moves
10 Apr 07

Interestingly, the only two candidates running so far who didn't go to college during the sixties are McCain and Obama.
You mean the only two candidates approved by the corporate-sponsored major media:
"Ron Paul was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Gettysburg College and the Duke University School of Medicine, before proudly serving as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force during the 1960s. "

The only real conservative in the running; yet Fox has only mentioned his name once, in the "Because You Asked" segment.
Educate yourself: http://www.house.gov/paul/legis_tst.htm

silicon valley

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by tmetzler
You mean the only two candidates approved by the corporate-sponsored major media:
"Ron Paul was born and raised in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Gettysburg College and the Duke University School of Medicine, before proudly serving as a flight surgeon in the U.S. Air Force during the 1960s. "

The only real conservative in the running; yet ...[text shortened]... he "Because You Asked" segment.
Educate yourself: http://www.house.gov/paul/legis_tst.htm
George Will had a column on Ron Paul on the back page of Newsweek a month or two ago.

silicon valley

Moves
10 Apr 07

i think i'd pick him over anyone except Condie, based on that.

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by zeeblebot
i think i'd pick him over anyone except Condie, based on that.
If Condie runs and it becomes possibly a contest between her and Hillary. Assuming America goes color neutral for a moment, which aspect of candidacy would matter most.

Age or party affiliation? And for 50 bonus points, how would color influence the result and why?

silicon valley

Moves
10 Apr 07

ideology ... and foreign affairs experience, Condi's got tons more ... check her wikipedia page. all Hillary has is her senate background (yes or no) and what use is that?

Republicant Retiree

Blade Runner

Moves
10 Apr 07

Originally posted by zeeblebot
ideology ... and foreign affairs experience, Condi's got tons more ... check her wikipedia page. all Hillary has is her senate background (yes or no) and what use is that?
What about the perception that it will really be Hillary's third term?

To what extent has any candidate won on an expertise in world affairs. Accepted wisdom has it that Americans could care less about foreign policy as talk of it usually signals use of more of their money?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.