1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 18:55
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Not surprising thanks to liberal policies like no one loses. Every one gets a trophy!
    I know Liberal bashing is fun, but Conservatives are little different. Conservatives want to privatize everything, while keeping the present structure in place.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 19:04
    Originally posted by mchill
    I know Liberal bashing is fun, but Conservatives are little different. Conservatives want to privatize everything, while keeping the present structure in place.
    You mean establihment conservatives who work to funnel tax dollars into private companies.

Establisment types conservative or liberal are the problem.
  3. Germany
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 19:09
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I am glad you see my point. In the US that is exactly what the government tries to do. Of course those kids have no interest in it so they disrupt classes they don't want to take but are forced into.

Those same kids get tested and our ranking suffers.
    As mentioned, education is mandatory in Finland until 16 years of age.
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 19:121 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    As mentioned, education is mandatory in Finland until 16 years of age.
    As mentioned the US stupidly treats all kids the same and expects all kids to graduate secondary academic schools at 18. All students are expected to be ready for college upon graduation

Of course this model is an utter failure.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 19:57
    You mean establihment conservatives who work to funnel tax dollars into private companies.

Establisment types conservative or liberal are the problem.
    Yes, Establishment conservatives might as well join the Democrats.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 20:241 edit
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Yes, Establishment conservatives might as well join the Democrats.
    They tried, Trump beat them. I hope.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 21:051 edit
    At least this is evidence of what I've always said, when comparing education systems you need to compare apples to apples. Throwing money at an inherently flawed system doesn't do anything but waste money.

Blaming teachers for the failure is absolutely ridiculous.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    04 Dec '16 22:02
    Does any other country in the world attempt to teach all students college bound curriculum through the age 18?
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 11:461 edit
    Does any other country in the world attempt to teach all students college bound curriculum through the age 18?
    The UK has similarities to both Finland and the US. Standard Education is up to 16, however between 16 and 18 some form of education is mandatory, there is a large range of options between academic, vocational courses and apprenticeships.

16-18 mandatory education began in 2013 before that the it was 16. Some people argue that the raising of the age bracket was a cynical way of reducing the unemployment statistics.
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 13:44
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    The UK has similarities to both Finland and the US. Standard Education is up to 16, however between 16 and 18 some form of education is mandatory, there is a large range of options between academic, vocational courses and apprenticeships.

16-18 mandatory education began in 2013 before that the it was 16. Some people argue that the raising of the age bracket was a cynical way of reducing the unemployment statistics.
    It is really the right way to go, to have different options.

Does the UK require application and acceptance to academic schooling after 16?

In Oklahoma we offer vocational education, 16-18, but only to kids with high enough academic achievement. If their academic achievement isn't high enough for vocational they get put into college prep classes.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 14:03
    Is your country more like the US system where everyone is moved through the system until they are 18? Or is your country more like Finland that reqires some sort of academic competence before entering secondary education?
    My country (Zambia) is one where there simply aren't enough schools (its a poor country) so not everyone can make it to grade 12 and there is intense competition. I don't know the current stats, but when I was younger, a larger percentage got kicked out at grades 7 and 9. The same applied in university. Competition to get in, and the first year was like A levels after which about half are kicked out.

Some people didn't attend university because of the costs. The government paid tuition and some allowances, but it was still too costly for some.

I support a system where anyone who wants to can get an education. Of course with the advent of the internet, education opportunities are opening up.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 14:04
    As mentioned the US stupidly treats all kids the same and expects all kids to graduate secondary academic schools at 18. All students are expected to be ready for college upon graduation.
    Here in South Africa, students that don't meet the requirements are held back and must repeat the year.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 14:05
    I know some americans who apparently made it through school without learning much at all.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 14:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Here in South Africa, students that don't meet the requirements are held back and must repeat the year.
    In the US it is common practice to move kids along if they learn or not. It is called social promotion. If they are held back once they are not longer allowed to be held back.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    05 Dec '16 15:35
    no longer allowed, whatever

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree