1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    17 Apr '10 16:431 edit
    http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

I kid you not. They are now blaming earthquakes and volcanos on global warming. How? Apparently they are blaming retreating ice sheets as reducing pressure on the earths crust thus prompting increased volcanic acitivity. In addition, the increased water pressure in the oversized oceans can prompt increased pressure on fault line within the earths crust in our oceans. LMAO!!

I remember a day when I started to buy into the whole man made global warming idea, but now it has become just a joke.
  2. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    17 Apr '10 17:44
    Uhh, you do know that Nature is a scientific journal, scrutinized through peer review, with research behind it, right? I'm sure the journal would be elated to hear your refutation, provided it's more than just rhetoric.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 01:25
    Originally posted by Beyer
    Uhh, you do know that Nature is a scientific journal, scrutinized through peer review, with research behind it, right? I'm sure the journal would be elated to hear your refutation, provided it's more than just rhetoric.
    My my, I musn't question them if it comes from a scientific journal. I have no idea what I was thinking. Thanks friend, I almost wound up on a burning stake after facing a Dawkins inquisition.
  4. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 02:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    My my, I musn't question them if it comes from a scientific journal. I have no idea what I was thinking. Thanks friend, I almost wound up on a burning stake after facing a Dawkins inquisition.
    Let me rephrase.

I would be elated to hear your refutation, provided it's more than just rhetoric.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 02:38
    Let me rephrase.

I would be elated to hear your refutation, provided it's more than just rhetoric.
    I thinking that Iceland should pave the entire volcanic crater to "weigh down" the earths crust since the ice no longer can prevent eruptions. Either that, or move all the "over weight" Icelanders to the crater to live and then see if that helps.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 02:47
    I thinking that Iceland should pave the entire volcanic crater to "weigh down" the earths crust since the ice no longer can prevent eruptions. Either that, or move all the "over weight" Icelanders to the crater to live and then see if that helps.
    What are the scientific grounds you are citing for your assertion that the article in Nature is "just a joke"?
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 03:001 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What are the scientific grounds you are citing for your assertion that the article in Nature is "just a joke"?
    It appears to be all speculation to me. Every time you turn your head and a disaster occurs you hear people blaming global warming and they just love to use scientific theories to give them an air of credibility. It started with hurricanes, which have been subdued lately, and now this? Methinks the boy called wolf once to many times.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 03:09
    It appears to be all speculation to me. Every time you turn your head and a disaster occurs you hear people blaming global warming and they just love to use scientific theories to give them an air of credibility. It started with hurricanes, which have been subdued lately, and now this? Methinks the boy called wolf once to many times.
    What is the science behind your refutation? In fact, WHAT is the refutation exactly? You start a a thread on an international forum on a scientific topic and all you've got is "it's just a joke"? Even if it is scientific "speculation", as you say it appears to be to you, why would this be "just a joke"?
  9. Joined
    14 Feb '10
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 03:11
    Losing Weight

According to the new report, Greenland lost an estimated 1,500 gigatons (one gigaton is equal to 1 billion tons) of ice from the year 2000 to 2008. "That is at the upper end of recent estimates of Greenland mass loss using various other methods," van den Broeke told SPIEGEL ONLINE. Between 2006 and 2008, the loss in weight totaled 273 gigatons per year, he said.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,661192,00.html
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 03:16
    According to the new report, Greenland lost an estimated 1,500 gigatons (one gigaton is equal to 1 billion tons) of ice from the year 2000 to 2008.
    Presumably whodey doesn't think this has happened because it would be "just a joke" if it had.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 03:58
    Originally posted by FMF
    Presumably whodey doesn't think this has happened because it would be "just a joke" if it had.
    Are you saying that global warming caused the volcano in Iceland to errupt?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 04:25
    Are you saying that global warming caused the volcano in Iceland to errupt?
    You kicked this thread off with http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

What is your scientific refutation of it (i.e. why is it "just a joke" ) ?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    You kicked this thread off with http://www.livescience.com/environment/070830_gw_quakes.html

What is your scientific refutation of it (i.e. why is it "just a joke" ) ?
    But its just a theory, not proof. So do you buy into it? You know, not everything that appears in science magazines are actually true, especially with such a policially charged topic. Such policially charged topics should be treated with great trepidation in terms of motive.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 04:30
    But its just a theory, not proof. So do you buy into it? You know, not everything that appears in science magazines are actually true.
    It's a scientific theory. What is your scientific refutation?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    18 Apr '10 04:32
    Such policially charged topics should be treated with great trepidation in terms of motive.
    Greenland lost an estimated 1,500,000,000,000 tons of ice between 2000 and 2008. Is that a "policially charged" fact? Or do you think that the ice is still there?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree