Voter Id Laws

Voter Id Laws

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
08 Aug 20
1 edit

@ashiitaka said
I was only really responding to what you wrote about a strong xenophobic culture in the Tory Party.
I know there's significant xenophobia among British conservatives which was a driving force behind Brexit. In the U.S., the Republican agenda is in line with the conservative extremists. It seems I incorrectly assumed this is the case with the Tories. After all, they're lead by a man who's been called the British version of Trump, and they're pushing voter ID laws just like the Republicans.

It's good news that UK extremists don't represent their party, unlike Republicans.

T

Moves
08 Aug 20
1 edit

@vivify said
I know there's significant xenophobia among British conservatives which was a driving force behind Brexit. In the U.S., the Republican agenda is in line with the conservative extremists. It seems I incorrectly assumed this is the case with the Tories. After all, they're lead by a man who's been called the British version of Trump, and they're pushing voter ID laws just like ...[text shortened]... e Republicans.

It's good news that UK extremists don't represent their party, unlike Republicans.
The Conservatives advocated voter ID because they wanted to make it harder for poor people to vote; the poor, irrespective of colour, are more likely not to have passports or driving licences.

The xenophobia which was a contributory factor to Brexit is in fact as common among the traditional working class (usually Labour voters) as in the leafy shires (Tory territory). Many working-class voters abandoned Labour at the last election for the first time, because Boris Johnson pledged to accomplish the Brexit they had voted for in 2016.

T

Moves
08 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
@Teinosuke

I'm not so familiar as to say what is different. I think here, accommodations are
made for homeless and illegal aliens. Not sure how or if it is universal but that
is closer to the source of the argument.
Where is your evidence that accommodations are made for illegal aliens? If they're not on the electoral register, how can they vote?

rain

Moves
08 Aug 20
2 edits

@teinosuke said
The Conservatives advocated voter ID because they wanted to make it harder for poor people to vote; the poor, irrespective of colour, are more likely not to have passports or driving licences.

The xenophobia which was a contributory factor to Brexit is in fact as common among the traditional working class (usually Labour voters) as in the leafy shires (Tory territory). M ...[text shortened]... r the first time, because Boris Johnson pledged to accomplish the Brexit they had voted for in 2016.
Ash said the poor tend to vote for the Labor Party. Do you agree with that assessment? Because Voter ID laws seem to benefit Tories if that's the case.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Aug 20

@joe-shmo said
Like at the 1:00 min mark where he asks:
Interviewer: Do you think its harder for Black people to go online?
Student Body 1: Well I feel like they don't have the knowledge of like how it works.

Your saying that is edited?
I think you need to have a broader understanding of what "edited" means!

How many student's replies were edited out?

T

Moves
08 Aug 20

@vivify said
Ash said the poor tend to vote for the Labor Party. Do you agree with that assessment? Because Voter ID laws seem to benefit Tories if that's the case.
Traditionally that is the case, but in the most recently election many poor, white, socially conservative voters, and in particular those who had voted for Brexit, gravitated to the Tories. The poll in December, 2019 was the first election in which more low-income voters backed the Tories than Labour. Ash said in an earlier post that British politics lacks the culture-war dimension that is so prominent in American politics. This certain was true five years ago, but it seems that some people are quite eager to foment a culture war in Britain now.

As I said in an earlier post, I expect the Tories to abandon the Voter ID pledge now that they've secured a substantial support base among white working class voters.

A

RSA

Moves
08 Aug 20
1 edit

@vivify said
I know there's significant xenophobia among British conservatives which was a driving force behind Brexit. In the U.S., the Republican agenda is in line with the conservative extremists. It seems I incorrectly assumed this is the case with the Tories. After all, they're lead by a man who's been called the British version of Trump, and they're pushing voter ID laws just like ...[text shortened]... e Republicans.

Well, even if I (a Brexiteer) acknowledge that some Brexiteers had the incorrect motives for voting to leave, the EU is deeply flawed and there are plenty of reasonable criticisms of it. Accusations of xenophobia were undoubtedly accurate in some cases, but I think it is important to look at why people have an issue with free movement (while we are on that particular gripe - it is not the main reason or anywhere the top of my reasons for desiring an exit). Britain is, on the whole, a very tolerant country and I don't think that a reaction to free movement is always or even mostly based on something as primitive as a visceral fear of the unknown. Rather, it is based on economic realities; free movement is seen as a tool for companies to undercut British workers by hiring cheaper labour from the continent. This depresses wage growth and reduces productivity because cost of labour is relatively cheaper than cost of capital. Given that productivity is the only real way to improve living standards and that Britain struggles terribly with it, this became a problem for some, especially given that the UK has a very regionally unbalanced economy, which caused resentment to build up.

As I said, it wasn't close to the top of the reasons why I support Brexit, and I wasn't even a Brexiteer until after the referendum. I was initially on the fence; unimpressed by the EU's political and economic dysfunctionality, waste, narrow view of the rest of the world as threatening, etc but also aware that it would be a difficult process to leave. However, it is also fair to question why Britain should give preferential treatment to citizens of European countries over others, especially given that Britain has more natural allies elsewhere who have far more of a future on the world stage. I am a UK citizen, but I cannot afford to study in the UK (which was my dream) because I haven't lived there for the last three years and I am classified as an international student. Thus, I would have to pay international fees, which are up to 4 times more expensive. However, EU citizens can pay domestic fees. While my reaction to that absurdity - being unable to study in my own country of citizenship - isn't a desire to tear down someone else to lift myself up, it is reasonable to point out that the EU has caused Britain to have a parochial overfocus on the continent, both in terms of trade and at the expense of better-qualified people from elsewhere. My own mother, who is not British or an EU citizen, had to go through the system like everyone else.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Aug 20

@joe-shmo said
According to Pew, the projection of White to Minority vote is going to be ≈ 2.

2 is much less than 6, and as such voter ID laws are much closer to doing nothing to the "racial power dynamic" democrats so desperately rely on.

I personally believe that the reason Dems don't want voter ID laws is obviously not because they think it will drastically disenfranchise minoriti ...[text shortened]... ersist ).

[1] https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/essay/an-early-look-at-the-2020-electorate/
Interesting that this started off as White vs. Black and then shifted to White vs. "minorities".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Aug 20
3 edits

@suzianne said
Interesting that this started off as White vs. Black and then shifted to White vs. "minorities".
Firstly, the word "minorities" is in the OP.

Secondly, this spinoff evolved because I interjected the statistics kevcvs57 was asking Earl for.

Thirdly, why should it be just about Blacks? The other minorities would be pretty much equally affected in regards to voter ID laws, and they are of similar population size in the US.

Do democrats think they own the Black vote or something so that is all they wish to speak of? We are continually fed this load of nonsense that it is simply White vs Brown. So lets talk about White vs Brown.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Aug 20
4 edits

@kevcvs57 said
It’s all bad / good either way. Forget colour and ethnicity it’s poorer people that tend to fall foul of ID voter laws.
That’s why Republicans support voter suppression by ID because poor people are more likely to vote for a party that has the best record of supporting poor people in regard to welfare, health and affordable housing etc.
That’s why the Republicans and this instance Trump are always thinking of ways to cut them out of the ballot.
Yep, the party of give them just enough to stay poor and voting democrat. It amounts to nothing more than the modern day continuation of slavery.

Your party is literally shipping Blacks around the US on an all expense paid vacation in exchange for a vote which is designed to cripple the electoral college system. Some deep pockets on your masters indeed...

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Aug 20
1 edit

@wolfgang59 said
I think you need to have a broader understanding of what "edited" means!

How many student's replies were edited out?
I don't know...I give up...How many?

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
09 Aug 20
1 edit

@teinosuke said
Where is your evidence that accommodations are made for illegal aliens? If they're not on the electoral register, how can they vote?
Not sure how because voting districts in the US do not all have the same
strict rules. I know in the 2016 election, a border state to me, New Hampshire,
had a district with busloads of Latinos show up and vote.

Nobody that I know of was sure of where they came from. This is why Trump -
to this day, says that he really took NH.

On Monday night, President Donald Trump pushed yet again his evidence-free conspiracy theory claiming out-of-state voters illegally cost him New Hampshire in the 2016 general election. There is zero evidence of this claim, which Trump and his allies have been peddling for years.

“We should have won the election, but they had buses being being shipped up from Massachusetts,” he told his booing supporters at a campaign rally in Manchester, New Hampshire. “Hundreds and hundreds of buses. And it was very, very close even though they did.”

There are people in this voting district (or one of them) that are within listening
distance to a Boston radio program. All day on election day, people called
saying that they saw the buses pull up. So this theory is not "evidence free"
as the above suggest.

How they do it is not clear to me. Must have to do with local policies,
perhaps concerning exceptions for immigrants.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Aug 20

@joe-shmo said
I don't know...I give up...How many?
That's the point Joe, you and I don't know, which is why "snapshot" videos
like this are not really snapshots. They've been edited and are therefore
useless unless you are concerned with the opinions of a few selected students.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Aug 20
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
Not sure how because voting districts in the US do not all have the same
strict rules. I know in the 2016 election, a border state to me, New Hampshire,

Nobody that I know of was sure of where they came from. This is why Trump -
to this day, says that he really took NH.

[i]On Monday night, President ...[text shortened]... e"
as the above suggest.

How they do it is not clear to me. Must have to do with local policies.
Earl they are literally doing it in my town. When the population of blacks in a small community changes from 5% to 25% overnight...everyone notices. The problem is that its apparently legal!!! In Pa you have to be a resident 30 days prior to an election. In some states there are no such requirements! Are you a resident on election day..yes...thats that! My area is particularly corrupt, they keep large compounds of section 8 housing open for this distinct purpose. The blue state democratic machine is using its deep pockets to thwart the EC system moving their political slaves to swing states to attempt to win the popular vote and gain the EC votes for the state.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
I know in the 2016 election, a border state to me, New Hampshire,
More of your anecdotes Earl?

Was your Cuban swimmer amongst those on the bus?