Voter Id Laws

Voter Id Laws

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
07 Aug 20
1 edit

@earl-of-trumps said
It sounds very similar to what is happening in the US. But you chose not to
mention that the thrust to the movement is to prevent illegal aliens from voting.
No, it's not. The aim is to keep immigrants or minorities from voting. Just like in the U.S., there's a strong xenophobic culture among UK conservatives. Tories are aware they aren't popular with immigrants as a result, so they seem to be taking measures similar to Republicans to keep them from voting.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
07 Aug 20

@vivify No, it's not. The aim is to keep immigrants or minorities from voting. Just like in the U.S.,

Link...?

This is the problem with you libs. You never get specific with facts. Minorities?

And you can't, in this case because what you said is not fact. It's bullpuppies

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
07 Aug 20

Somebody, please!

Show me documented facts comparing black/white adults that do not have ID's.

rain

Moves
07 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
@vivify No, it's not. The aim is to keep immigrants or minorities from voting. Just like in the U.S.,

Link...?

This is the problem with you libs. You never get specific with facts. Minorities?

And you can't, in this case because what you said is not fact. It's bullpuppies
Dude, this is a well-known fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/02/15/do-voter-identification-laws-suppress-minority-voting-yes-we-did-the-research/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-restrictive-voting-requirements-target-minorities

Do you also need a link that the Earth is round?

rain

Moves
07 Aug 20

Even Fox News knows this:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/voter-id-laws-could-disproportionately-hurt-young-minorities

T

Moves
07 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
It sounds very similar to what is happening in the US. But you chose not to mention that the thrust to the movement is to prevent illegal aliens from voting.

Of course, a simple solution is give the poor people free ID's

But if Labour is anything like Democratic in America, they will flail wildly tryingto come up with an excuse as to why that can't be done.
Well, yes, we could hand out free IDs, but in Britain we've always prided ourselves on not requiring identity cards - they were last compulsory during and surely after World War II, and were seen as an alien imposition on civil liberties. As a boy I was taught to be gently proud of living in a free country where we didn't need to show an ID to perform essential civic duties. We need a driving licence to drive a car (not an essential thing - I've never learned to drive); and we need a passport to travel abroad (again, a luxury), though even then, in principle if not in practice, we don't officially need a passport to leave the country, which is our right should we choose to do so; a passport is required by airlines and by foreign governments choosing to permit us entry.

It's pretty difficult for anyone not eligible to vote to do so, since when you vote your name and address are crossed off the list at the polling station. The would-be fraudster would have to know both your name and your address, and would have to bank on your not turning up yourself to cast your vote. So it's a pretty big risk. As you might therefore expect, identity fraud is a miniscule problem here.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
07 Aug 20

@vivify said
Dude, this is a well-known fact.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/02/15/do-voter-identification-laws-suppress-minority-voting-yes-we-did-the-research/

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/how-restrictive-voting-requirements-target-minorities

Do you also need a link that the Earth is round?
First off, vivify, you did NOT answer the question. I asked for the discrepancy
between whites and blacks possessing ID's. You failed miserably!

1. The first link, the Washington Post, their demographic shows differences
in groups of voters in states with loose v strict voter rules. BUT, they show
Latino, Asian, and African American. They did not include WHITES!!
And I am very suspicious as to why. I bet it didn't go "their way". Anyway, Fail 2.

Your 2nd link is a lengthy interview that I rather not sift through searching for
YOUR evidence. Next time, cut and paste some relevant text.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
07 Aug 20

@vivify said
Even Fox News knows this:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/voter-id-laws-could-disproportionately-hurt-young-minorities
researchers at the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis concluded that overall turnout this year by young people of color ages 18-29 could fall by somewhere between 538,000 to 696,000 in states with photo ID laws.

"Our estimates are conservative. We are looking at demobilization from 9 to 25 percent,"

Again! A total load of horsepuppies.

Where is the figure for what happens to WHITES????
Lies, Damn lies, and statistics.

FAIL

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
07 Aug 20

@Teinosuke

It's nice to have a trusting society to enjoy that level of freedom.
I wish I could say the same for this side of the pond.

rain

Moves
08 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Where is the figure for what happens to WHITES????
Bruh. That's the whole point.

It's not whites being affected by voter ID laws, minorities are. That's why Republicans keep pushing for them: less minorities to vote against them.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
08 Aug 20

@vivify Bruh. That's the whole point.

It's not whites being affected by voter ID laws, minorities are.

----------

No no no no no. Vivify, you cannot make the remark that whites are or are not
affected by Voter ID laws, because whites were left completely out of the statistics.

That's *my* point that you seem to slough off, some how.

Here is my opinion: If truth be told, you will see that whites experience the
same dip in voter participation that Blacks, Latinos, and Asians experienced in
strict voter ID circumstances.
And unless you have the stats to say otherwise, please don't make up a
refutation to that opinion. So far, I see no useful stats that I am looking for.

And do you even remember what I asked for??
I asked for stats on what percentage of each group, white/black, has ID's.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Aug 20
2 edits

According to the table on page 3 [1]

5% of Whites have no confirmed ID.
13% for Blacks
10% Hispanic

Given these statistics it is going to disproportionately remove White votes, not Black and Hispanic.

I'm surprised Dems aren't pushing for ID restrictions.

Consider the voter turnout gap by race in 2016 according to [2].

65.3% For White
59.6% for Black
47.6 for Hispanic

Just look at the ratio of White votes lost to Blacks + Hispanics assuming that the ID issue is uniformly distributed among voters ( i.e there is no reason to conclude that a significantly larger portion of Black/Hispanic voters are affected by ID laws above the percentage of those that don't have ID's) In other words, its not like we would expect 80%( or some large number) of all black voters to have the ID issue voting when only 13% are missing ID's. Same for Hispanics.

Whites:
71% of Population [1]
65.3% Voter Turnout [2]
5% Without Confirmed ID [1]

Blacks:
12% of Population [1]
59.6% Voter Turnout [2]
13% Without Confirmed ID [1]

Hispanics:
11% of Population [1]
47.6% Voter Turnout [2]
10% Without Confirmed ID [1]

So there are about 1.6 White Votes lost for every Black/Hispanic Vote Lost if ID is going to prevent them from voting.

0.05*0.653*0.71* P / ( 0.13*0.596*0.12 + 0.10*0.476*0.11 )*P ≈ 1.6

[1] http://www.projectvote.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/AMERICANS-WITH-PHOTO-ID-Research-Memo-February-2015.pdf

[2] https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/05/12/black-voter-turnout-fell-in-2016-even-as-a-record-number-of-americans-cast-ballots/

rain

Moves
08 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
No no no no no. Vivify, you cannot make the remark that whites are or are not
affected by Voter ID laws, because whites were left completely out of the statistics.

That's *my* point that you seem to slough off, some how.
I'm not saying no whites are ever affected, just that it's a well accepted fact that minorities are disproportionately affected....even by the notoriously hard-right Fox News.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Aug 20

@earl-of-trumps said
Show me documented facts comparing black/white adults that do not have ID's.
Like this is news to you?
No wonder you haven't a clue.

Pawn Whisperer

My Kingdom fora Pawn

Moves
08 Aug 20

@joe-shmo

Thanks, Joe. Well done.

I wonder if the discrepancy is due to the fact that a higher % of blacks live in
cities than whites. People that live in cities tend more to not own cars, as they
rely on mass transit. Just a guess.