1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 12:45
    @philokalia said
    What's funny about the Nixon thing is that experts on the topic talk about how the Joint Chiefs of Staff literally were doing internal spying on Pres. Nixon with the express goal of ending his whole administration because he was anti-establishment and actually represented foreign affairs ideals that would be far more popular with the left now...

In a very real sense, ...[text shortened]... t this more extensively but it's a monster of a topic and I've just never got the material together.
    Obviously you've read very little about Watergate to come to the bizarre conclusions you have.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 12:552 edits
    @philokalia said
    In some cases, it is true that this "fraud" goes along with it.

But as they say, there are prosecutors out there who could indict a ham sandwich.

It makes me think back on my Army days -- the amount of time that we spent actually doing things by the book was almost zilch. To get things done, rules were broken, regulations were routinely overlooked, and everything w ...[text shortened]... can make it really sound liek these guys are threats to our country, can't you?

It's all garbage.
    From Wikipedia:

"In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right."

This has nothing to do with filing paperwork incorrectly, though you wish it were, because you're a partisan hack. This is about deliberate, willful intent to break the law.
  3. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 12:56
    @no1marauder said
    Obviously you've read very little about Watergate to come to the bizarre conclusions you have.
    No one would actually dispute that crimes were committed at the Watergate...

But here is a link to an excellent story concerning Watergate:

https://www.counterpunch.org/2001/01/07/the-nixon-story-you-never-heard/

You're aware of the theory, though, that the real reason for the break in was a guy trying to uncover information concerning whether his wife was acting as a high level prostitute in Washington circles, right?

This is a very interesting post that deals with this:

https://visupview.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-office-of-security-tale-of-sex_18.html

The real attraction, though, is reading about the levels of corruption and the general depravity of the deep state way back when.

It really was always this way -- going back to Franklin. One can imagine that it has generally been this way in most administrations & courts throughout history. The amount of things that are actually a poop festival at the bottom line is pretty surprising.

And if you understand this, then it really isn't such a big deal to read about the prosecutors indicting a ham sandwich and Flynn over anything & everything. It's the way of the world, my dear friend.
  4. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 12:58
    @vivify said
    From Wikipedia:

"In law, fraud is deliberate deception to secure unfair or unlawful gain, or to deprive a victim of a legal right."

This has nothing to do with filing paperwork incorrectly, though you wish it were, because you're a partisan hack.
    Deliberate deception -- geez Luis, imagine pitching a deal for business investment without your persuasive talk ever sounding like it wasn't an effort at deception.

Just recently I was discussing with a lawyer friend of mine about the James Fields case, at which point he explained to me the grounds that exist for indicting someone on "First Degree Murder." The standards for this are absolutely ridiculous in the sense that all the garbage you hear people discuss about 'premeditation' go right out the window -- none of that actually, REALLY matters, because the law is incredibly flexible.

It's a miracle that we do not admit spectral evidence anymore.
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 13:06
    @philokalia said
    Deliberate deception -- geez Luis, imagine pitching a deal for business investment without your persuasive talk ever sounding like it wasn't an effort at deception.

Just recently I was discussing with a lawyer friend of mine about the James Fields case, at which point he explained to me the grounds that exist for indicting someone on "First Degree Murder." The st ...[text shortened]... e the law is incredibly flexible.

It's a miracle that we do not admit spectral evidence anymore.
    So your goal is to downplay felonies from Republicans by renaming their crimes with cuter names. Just like when you called Kavanaugh's allegation of attempted rape by forcibly pinning a girl to a bed and covering her mouth so she can't scream "unwelcomed advances".

Conservatives are a sick bunch.
  6. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 13:25
    @vivify said
    So your goal is to downplay felonies from Republicans by renaming their crimes with cuter names. Just like when you called Kavanaugh's allegation of attempted rape by forcibly pinning a girl to a bed and covering her mouth so she can't scream "unwelcomed advances".

Conservatives are a sick bunch.
    I'm not downplaying anyting. I'm putting it into context.

It is amazing that you go back to the Cavanaugh debacle. It was quite the lost for you guys. I would think that the topic would be a bit too sore to bring up especially considering the condition of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

You know, we can nitpick each other about all of these things day in and day out and nothing will ever really change will be affected. We will never change each other's minds.

That's why I've always been more interested in discussing things in the abstract.

And this is why context always matters to me. If we can discuss the issue at large, in a very big way, we can look past the miner scandals and really gain an appreciation for the things that are going on.

Discussing the intricacies of ongoing scandals isn't really politics to me. I guess, to me, politics is political philosophy. It's the Timeless. That sounds like I'm really on a high horse there, and perhaps I am a little bit, but I don't know, I kind of just don't want to dwell on petty stuff. But I am willing to exchange blows over the petty stuff if it will eventually lead to a discussion I'm the bigger stuff.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 14:282 edits
    @whodey said
    Checking Robert Mueller
    KIMBERLEY A. STRASSEL DECEMBER 13, 2018

Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months as a law unto himself, reminding us of the awesome and destructive powers of special counsels. About the only possible check on Mr. Mueller is a judge who is wise to the tricks of prosecutors and investigators. Good news: That’s what we got this week.

Former nati ...[text shortened]... j-destroyed-missing-strzok-page-text-messages-before-ig-reviewed-them/

https://outline.com/GL9ZLM
    Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months as a law unto himself

Earth to Whodey --- Earth to Whodey--- Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months under the direction and with the approval of Rod Rosenstein, a Trump appointed Republican.

If you're going to post partisan junk like this, please make sure at least 1% of it is the truth.
    🙄
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 14:39
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mueller-s-office-releases-notes-michael-flynn-s-fbi-interview-n949141
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 16:35
    @philokalia said
    This has all been quite the affair.

People were talking about how Pres. Trump wouldn't even see the end of his first year in the Presidency, and as this thing has dragged on, while it has negatively impacted the Presidency, it has only begun to lose ground in recent days.

Hardly the heroic frontal assault the Left thought it'd be.

Now they are spendign their time defending dodgy legal moves instead of celebrating an impeachment. Bit of a bummer.
    The burden of proof is now on them.

If there is sooo much evidence, what is the hold up?

Funny, now we are the conspiracy theorists.
  10. Germany
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 16:54
    @whodey said
    The burden of proof is now on them.

If there is sooo much evidence, what is the hold up?

Funny, now we are the conspiracy theorists.
    Charles Manson was convicted for his role in the murder of Gary Hinman two-and-a-half years after the deed. If there was sooo much evidence, why the hold-up? 🙄
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 21:23
    @kazetnagorra said
    Charles Manson was convicted for his role in the murder of Gary Hinman two-and-a-half years after the deed. If there was sooo much evidence, why the hold-up? 🙄
    Well it shows how poorly the US judicial system works, that is for sure.

However, he was locked up during that time and he was not the President of the United States.

And thanks for comparing Trump to Charely Mansen. It's a nice change from comparing him to Hitler. Such progress almost brings a tear to my eye.
  12. Germany
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 21:33
    @whodey said
    Well it shows how poorly the US judicial system works, that is for sure.

However, he was locked up during that time and he was not the President of the United States.

And thanks for comparing Trump to Charely Mansen. It's a nice change from comparing him to Hitler. Such progress almost brings a tear to my eye.
    I wasn't comparing "Charely Mansen (sic)" to Trump, I was comparing your argument to a hot, steaming turd.
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 21:37
    @kazetnagorra said
    I wasn't comparing "Charely Mansen (sic)" to Trump, I was comparing your argument to a hot, steaming turd.
    Speaking of which, I need to go drop the Obama's off at the Oval Office, be back in a few after my bathroom break.
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 23:44
    @mchill said
    Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months as a law unto himself

Earth to Whodey --- Earth to Whodey--- Robert Mueller has operated for 19 months under the direction and with the approval of Rod Rosenstein, a Trump appointed Republican.

If you're going to post partisan junk like this, please make sure at least 1% of it is the truth.
    🙄
    You do realize, though, that there is a whole subsection of Republicans universally opposed to Pres. Trump...?

You do know about the globalist / nationalist divide, right?

Meaning, what you have said about their "Republican" affiliation is silly and irrelevant.
  15. S. Korea
    Moves
    19 Dec '18 23:46
    @kazetnagorra said
    Your arguments, in my opinion, tend to be dramatic gasps and little more.

It's rare to see you go for a few paragraphs.

You love the style of "keep the content minimal and maximize the snark."

Heckler in the peanut gallery style.

I think it is inappropriate for you, then, to be so critical of other people.

Of course, I tend to do wall of text posts, and that can be annoying, and I should not be judgmental of you, but come on, man, let's Make the Debate Forum Great Again. We can only do that with the right attitude.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree