Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. Subscriber kmax87
    You've got Kevin
    08 Jan '12 10:12
    I was looking at a globe today and looked at how Iran sits neatly between Iraq on its left and Afghanistan to its right. Given that the US has withdrawn from Iraq, and given that Iran is now playing silly buggers in the straight of Hormuz, the question is, is war in Iran inevitable? If it is, then in an election year, whose candidacy would it favor?
  2. 08 Jan '12 10:14
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I was looking at a globe today and looked at how Iran sits neatly between Iraq on its left and Afghanistan to its right. Given that the US has withdrawn from Iraq, and given that Iran is now playing silly buggers in the straight of Hormuz, the question is, is war in Iran inevitable? If it is, then in an election year, whose candidacy would it favor?
    historically the sitting president has the advantage.
  3. 08 Jan '12 14:07
    Originally posted by kmax87
    I was looking at a globe today and looked at how Iran sits neatly between Iraq on its left and Afghanistan to its right. Given that the US has withdrawn from Iraq, and given that Iran is now playing silly buggers in the straight of Hormuz, the question is, is war in Iran inevitable? If it is, then in an election year, whose candidacy would it favor?
    Sanctions are to weaken a country before invasion. An invasion is clearly the plan, but it takes time for sanctions to have that effect. I doubt an invasion will happen until after the elections this fall. If Iran carries through with their threat to close the straights of Hormuz that could hasten things though.
  4. 08 Jan '12 15:12
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Sanctions are to weaken a country before invasion. An invasion is clearly the plan, but it takes time for sanctions to have that effect. I doubt an invasion will happen until after the elections this fall. If Iran carries through with their threat to close the straights of Hormuz that could hasten things though.
    I think you are right. Something will happen after the elections, whether it be Obama or Romney to do it. I think that is part of the reason Ron Paul is unelectable. He's pretty much the only hope in avoiding such a conflict.
  5. Standard member skipper2666
    Why so serious ????
    08 Jan '12 15:39
    America has been at war with Iran since Carters time and the embassy hostages.

    America sponsers terrorist groups that bomb civillian and military targets in Iran. As stated, sanctions are meant to cripple everyday life in one way or another/ unsettle the population and cause internal strife.



    African countries will be next on the American list and maybe a revisit to Vietnam just to settle that old wound once and for all.
  6. 08 Jan '12 17:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think you are right. Something will happen after the elections, whether it be Obama or Romney to do it. I think that is part of the reason Ron Paul is unelectable. He's pretty much the only hope in avoiding such a conflict.
    Very true.

    I don't understand why Ron Paul is so soft on Romney though. Sometimes I think he works for them as well. I hope this changes and Paul comes out with some serious negative campaign ads to tear down Romney. We all know it is possible.
  7. 08 Jan '12 19:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Very true.

    I don't understand why Ron Paul is so soft on Romney though. Sometimes I think he works for them as well. I hope this changes and Paul comes out with some serious negative campaign ads to tear down Romney. We all know it is possible.
    He should just come out and say it. If you don't vote for me then prepare to send your children to Iran to fight.

    Of course, it is possible that the man has no intention of getting elected. If so, having him in the mix at least gives the illusion of a choice.
  8. 08 Jan '12 22:22
    Originally posted by whodey
    He should just come out and say it. If you don't vote for me then prepare to send your children to Iran to fight.

    Of course, it is possible that the man has no intention of getting elected. If so, having him in the mix at least gives the illusion of a choice.
    You are on a roll.
  9. 08 Jan '12 22:38 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    You are on a roll.
    Aww screw it!!! I'll just run myself.

    You know what they say, if you want to do something right then do it yourself. All I have to do now is catch a plane flight to New Hampshire and raise a few billion dollars.

    I can just hear it now, it's "wacko" peace loving Whodey who wants to balance the budget. What a freak he is!!

    Ok, I'll start with you. How much can ya give me?
  10. 09 Jan '12 01:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    Aww screw it!!! I'll just run myself.

    You know what they say, if you want to do something right then do it yourself. All I have to do now is catch a plane flight to New Hampshire and raise a few billion dollars.

    I can just hear it now, it's "wacko" peace loving Whodey who wants to balance the budget. What a freak he is!!

    Ok, I'll start with you. How much can ya give me?
    Not enough.

    Ask the bankers for a bailout. Tell them you are too big to fail.
  11. 09 Jan '12 01:48
    There's no way in hell we're going to war with Iran.

    BTW, does anyone know if Iran came out with any statements about the US Navy saving one of their boats?
  12. Subscriber AThousandYoung
    Poor Filipov :,(
    09 Jan '12 03:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    There's no way in hell we're going to war with Iran.

    BTW, does anyone know if Iran came out with any statements about the US Navy saving one of their boats?
    Yeah, they said it was a normal humanitarian operation and had nothing to do with relations between the countries.

    What if Iran starts shooting stuff in the Strait and deploying mines and stuff?
  13. 09 Jan '12 03:48 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    There's no way in hell we're going to war with Iran.

    BTW, does anyone know if Iran came out with any statements about the US Navy saving one of their boats?
    I never thought Obama would go to war in Lybia either. Well I be wrong!!

    What has convinced me the US is going to war is the way pretty much every talks about Iran, except Paul. They get that crazed look in their eye as they talk about how they are gonna stop them from getting a nuke. Sound familiar? How exactly are they gonna stop them? Sanctions?

    Mwhahahaahaha!!1
  14. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    09 Jan '12 03:55
    Originally posted by whodey
    I never thought Obama would go to war in Lybia either. Well I be wrong!!
    Perhaps you did not or do not understand what N.A.T.O. is.
  15. 09 Jan '12 04:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps you did not or do not understand what N.A.T.O. is.
    Yes, NATO did a fine job fighting in Lybia. LOL.