1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 04:52
    Here in the Netherlands we have weather warnings.
    Today, for example, it’s CODE YELLOW!
    They’ve given “the storm” a name: “ Storm Ciarán.”
    With wind surges… up to 100km’s an hour. But an average of 75km’s an hour.
    And… there may be some rain as well.

Now, when I was a kid growing up in Scotland, that’s the sort of weather we’d still be out in, sunbathing on the beach.

Because it’s CODE YELLOW we’ve been warned to try to work from home.

In the 80’s, in the Netherlands, when we had to cycle to school, it didn’t matter if it was a bloody hurriane in freezing temperatures with trees blowing over and cows flying about… we had to go!

Okay… maybe I exaggerate… but the point is, our storms didn’t have names and codes.
    If ever there was a code yellow, it probably meant that a nuclear cyclone was doing a Hiroshima somehow.

Where the hell does this giving windy weather “storm names” come from? And this coding? I mean if I’m supposed to stay off the roads with code yellow, what am I supposed to do in code red? Start praying or something?

Do other countries have these stupid code warnings for breezes?
    I know the US gives storms names, but their storms blow away trailer parks and flood whole cities. I’d be giving them names too.
  2. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 05:372 edits
    @shavixmir said

Now, when I was a kid growing up in Scotland, that’s the sort of weather we’d still be out in, sunbathing on the beach ...[text shortened]... ames, but their storms blow away trailer parks and flood whole cities. I’d be giving them names too.
    Where the hell does this giving windy weather “storm names” come from? And this coding? I mean if I’m supposed to stay off the roads with code yellow, what am I supposed to do in code red? Start praying or something?

I'm afraid it's that way everywhere. I grew up in the 70's and remember my classmates and I walking to school with the snow up to our knees - and the weather wasn't a legitimate excuse for not showing up to school. Today we have the KIRO severe weather TV program my area, which is silly. The last severe weather Seattle had was the Columbus Day storm of 1962, a category 3 hurricane. Nothing like that since. Maybe the weather has entered the twisted world of political correctness, just like everything else these days. πŸ™„
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 05:56
    @mchill said

I'm afraid it's that way everywhere. I grew up in the 70's and remember my classmates and I walking to school with the snow up to our knees - and the weather w ...[text shortened]... has entered the twisted world of political correctness, just like everything else these days. πŸ™„
    Yes! Snow and rain. And we didn’t have rain-proof trousers. So school was a steaming hell hole of shivering kids and drying wet clothes.
  4. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 08:441 edit
    @shavixmir said

Now, when I was a kid growing up in Scotland, that’s the sort of weather we’d still be out in, sunbathing on the beach ...[text shortened]... ames, but their storms blow away trailer parks and flood whole cities. I’d be giving them names too.
    That same breeze in Cornwall blew a car into the sea, I think you might be viewing your childhood through rose tinted glasses but I get the impression it’s the southern facing coastlines that are getting the worst of it.
    Although 60 mile per hour winds are quite mild in terms of storm warnings so yellow sounds about right
  5. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 08:49
    @kevcvs57
    When I were a lad we lived in a sceptic tank and were 14 to a bed πŸ˜‚
    I’m paraphrasing so no point in proof reading Monty python scripts
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 11:32
    @kevcvs57 said
    @kevcvs57
    Luxory!
  7. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 12:57
    @shavixmir said
    Luxory!
    Lol try telling kids today, they think a hard day is having to get an Uber to school because their ma had an early morning pilate class.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 15:38
    @shavixmir said

common man, it's additional info. You do with it what you want. Some people might want to close their windows or bring in their laundry that they left outside to dry. Some might want to cover up their cars in case of a hail warning

You turn off the alert and do what you want if you think it's alarmist or silly
  9. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 20:341 edit
    @kevcvs57 said
    @kevcvs57
    At least you had a bed…….and siblings.
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 22:04
    @kevcvs57 said
    @kevcvs57
    Oops, missed the TU on my too/small smart phone screen with my sausage finger. 😏

Apologies for the mistaken red thumb.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Nov '23 22:04
    @averagejoe1 said
    At least you had a bed…….and siblings.
    I had to eat my siblings …
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    03 Nov '23 03:30
    @moonbus said
    I had to eat my siblings …
    Oh, we could but dream of eating our siblings…
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Nov '23 07:55
    @shavixmir said
    Oh, we could but dream of eating our siblings…
    Well, when I say “siblings” I mean they were siblings to us. We used to trap them when they came in the night to gnaw at our bare toes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree