1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 18:41
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Cannabis is not legal in the Netherlands.
    Aren't there zones much like redlight districts where drugs are permitted. The HBO series "The Wire" had Baltimore cops establishing such a zone, which they dubbed Amsterdam.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 19:041 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Aren't there zones much like redlight districts where drugs are permitted. The HBO series "The Wire" had Baltimore cops establishing such a zone, which they dubbed Amsterdam.
    Permitted, yes. Not in public places though. Legal, no. Possession and sale of small amounts has been decrimininalized (you can carry more in Colorado though). Production and sale of large amounts is illegal. Coffeeshops can sell, but not buy. (excellent series, by the way)
  3. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 19:14
    Permitted, yes. Not in public places though. Legal, no. Possession and sale of small amounts has been decrimininalized (you can carry more in Colorado though). Production and sale of large amounts is illegal. Coffeeshops can sell, but not buy. (excellent series, by the way)
    So then, as in most of the US, cannabis is still unlawful to grow or sell? Enforcement would have to be from national cops, the equivalent of the FBI or DEA?
  4. Germany
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 20:14
    Originally posted by normbenign
    So then, as in most of the US, cannabis is still unlawful to grow or sell? Enforcement would have to be from national cops, the equivalent of the FBI or DEA?
    Yeah. The country is 100 by 200 miles in area, so there isn't much else beyond "national" cops. They actually spend quite a lot of money and resources on the war on drugs. Not just cannabis plantations but it is also a major hub for drugs coming in from outside Europe. A total waste of money, of course.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    21 Feb '13 20:16
    Originally posted by e4chris
    OK its an old story now, but what do you make of it? I was so pleased when i heard could not believe it.

Will this spread? or is washington unusually liberal in the US?
    kind of hard to spread, marijuana lobbyists are too mellow and chill to lobby about it.
  6. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 03:37
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    kind of hard to spread, marijuana lobbyists are too mellow and chill to lobby about it.
    That is very true, and there is something not very compelling about a stoned person arguing for legalisation. But i think it has to happen people like it, you have a receptor in your body for that specific plant, your programmed to. Whats happening in california, mentioned before sounds very cool but I want to see coffee shops or a cannabis equivalent of tobbaconists, any other way and you keep a big black market, and i think thats undesirable, the country would feel 'richer' if all the money came back.
  7. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 05:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    Legal weed is a trend in the western US. Arizona, Colorado and Oregon (and maybe others I'm not thinking of) have also legalized marijuana to one extent or another.
    The only problem with being a great legal mind like you, is you tend to alienate your friends by reciting case law when you go out to dinner!😀
  8. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 16:302 edits
    Yeah. The country is 100 by 200 miles in area, so there isn't much else beyond "national" cops. They actually spend quite a lot of money and resources on the war on drugs. Not just cannabis plantations but it is also a major hub for drugs coming in from outside Europe. A total waste of money, of course.
    Whats happening in Scandinavia about this KN? I heard denmark has a comune in one of its city centers that sells weed, What about sweden, thats a very big country, any movement there?

On the good news front, A cannabis shop has just opened on my street! today! i don't think i can buy any there but it is still a good thing!
  9. Germany
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 17:29
    Whats happening in Scandinavia about this KN? I heard denmark has a comune in one of its city centers that sells weed, What about sweden, thats a very big country, any movement there?

On the good news front, A cannabis shop has just opened on my street! today! i don't think i can buy any there but it is still a good thing!
    In Denmark weed is very popular. In other Scandinavian countries it's less common and I wouldn't really know how they do it there. In Sweden they get pretty nazi when it comes to drug law enforcement though.
  10. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 18:22
    In Denmark weed is very popular. In other Scandinavian countries it's less common and I wouldn't really know how they do it there. In Sweden they get pretty nazi when it comes to drug law enforcement though.
    No weed but at least they have ABBA
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 19:44
    OK its an old story now, but what do you make of it? I was so pleased when i heard could not believe it.

Will this spread? or is washington unusually liberal in the US?
    I was in Seattle this past weekend, and saw a couple of people smoking marijuana openly. (The smell caught my attention first). Also, late one night in downtown, I was offered some for sale which I declined.
  12. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 20:09
    Originally posted by moon1969
    I was in Seattle this past weekend, and saw a couple of people smoking marijuana openly. (The smell caught my attention first). Also, late one night in downtown, I was offered some for sale which I declined.
    I went to New York a while back and a guy offered me some pot, but i think he was an undercover cop, he was wearing great big policeman boots and looked like one so i said no. But i also met a photography assistant there, who told me his job was basically to score weed...
  13. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    22 Feb '13 20:31
    the fact you have the SSDF shows some people are seriously bored in Sweden.
  14. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    23 Feb '13 00:08
    When the USA opens its first coffee shop it will take my best country in the world prize away from Holland 🙂
  15. Joined
    19 Jan '13
    Moves
    24 Feb '13 01:283 edits
    I don't understand American drug laws. I have it in my head that in some states its like caught 3 times with a spliff and its life, puts me off wanting to work there. where as i hear other place you have towns on crystal meth, so i guess weed goes unnoticed.

In the UK the police seem fairly leniant, cases where people get caught often seem to be associated with ineptness. There was someone who tried to grow it in a caravan, it caught fire, another, grew it in their roof, when it snowed they were the only house it didn't settle. But there is a big black market especially in London, everyone smokes it I'm sure its worth at least £10 billion in the UK.

It can cause mental health problems, but I think people in that profession who complain don't realise they are seeing the tip of the iceburg with stoners and most are fine. Also with the bedsits they are expected to live in in London many would go crazy without it, not with it. We need some change in the UK a national march would be a good, theres 6 million to go.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree