Where does the GOP go from here?

Where does the GOP go from here?

Debates

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
08 Jan 21

@kevcvs57 said
It will but that will be splitting the conservative vote. It looks like the Dems have won the battle to keep their left wing in check longer than the Republicans could keep their right wing in check.
End result, you’ve seen your last Republican congress or MAGA POTUS for quite some time.
People are always so quick to write the obituary of parties when they have bad showings. In point of fact, while the Georgia election was a terrible result for Republicans (mainly Trump's fault), the 2020 election was not particularly bad for Republicans given the fundamentals.

Assuming nothing really weird happens (I mean weirder than already has happened), it stands to reason that Republicans should be in good position for the 2022 midterms, as Democrats control all 3 branches of government and will not be able to keep their promises. Midterms tend to go against the party in power anyway.

k
Flexible

The wrong side of 60

Moves
08 Jan 21

@sh76 said
People are always so quick to write the obituary of parties when they have bad showings. In point of fact, while the Georgia election was a terrible result for Republicans (mainly Trump's fault), the 2020 election was not particularly bad for Republicans given the fundamentals.

Assuming nothing really weird happens (I mean weirder than already has happened), it stands to reas ...[text shortened]... and will not be able to keep their promises. Midterms tend to go against the party in power anyway.
It’s not about a bad showing, they actually haven’t had a bad showing in congressional terms. It’s about the disjoint between the trump base and more traditional GOP voters that has come about due to 4yrs of trump in the White House and controlling the GOP under the threat of his base during future state primaries. Recent events and the reaction of those traditional GOP voters at the last election. Voting for republicans on the state side of the ballot but not for Trump on the POTUS side.
Trump isn’t going to give up his base and the only way he can keep them is firing them up again and again which will continue to alienate traditional republicans. I don’t see how the GOP can square that circle.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Jan 21

@dood111 said
You call the past year of the left wing rioters burning down buildings attacking cops and looting stores being kept in check?
Talk to your 'Proud Boys' about that.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Jan 21

@Suzianne
You do know he is a card carrying member of those Proud Boys, right?

He might come after you so don't tell him your address😉

E

Moves
09 Jan 21

@mchill

I remember how you thought the Republicans were done when Obama was elected.

What a short memory you have.

D

Moves
09 Jan 21

Guppy poo

Sewers of Holland

Moves
09 Jan 21
1 edit

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Wise words.

You’d think McConnell would disappear up his own arse and live the rest of his life hiding in shame.

But just looking at the attitudes of our republican comrades on this forum, or listening to that moron on Fox news, it becomes very clear it’s all someone elses’ fault and that the left-wing anarchists are to blame.

As I’ve pointed out multiple times, this is a situation which is never going to end well.

Basically, the republican top has created a monster (of which trump is nothing more than the accumulated symptom) over the last 50 years... and they do not have a clue how to cage it.

And I understand the monster not wanting to be caged, but the republican top, you saw it in their eyes, have realised what they’ve done.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
13 Jan 21

@kevcvs57 said
It’s not about a bad showing, they actually haven’t had a bad showing in congressional terms. It’s about the disjoint between the trump base and more traditional GOP voters that has come about due to 4yrs of trump in the White House and controlling the GOP under the threat of his base during future state primaries. Recent events and the reaction of those traditional GOP vote ...[text shortened]... h will continue to alienate traditional republicans. I don’t see how the GOP can square that circle.
I agree in general with your point, but history dictates that these things will work themselves out. Both parties have had dilemmas just as bad and have always found ways to stumble back into power.

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
13 Jan 21

@shavixmir said
Wise words.

You’d think McConnell would disappear up his own arse and live the rest of his life hiding in shame.

But just looking at the attitudes of our republican comrades on this forum, or listening to that moron on Fox news, it becomes very clear it’s all someone elses’ fault and that the left-wing anarchists are to blame.

As I’ve pointed out multiple times, th ...[text shortened]... ting to be caged, but the republican top, you saw it in their eyes, have realised what they’ve done.
The Republican leadership didn't create Trump. Trump sacked the Republican party and re-made it in his own image.