1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 17:33
    @kevcvs57 said
    It will but that will be splitting the conservative vote. It looks like the Dems have won the battle to keep their left wing in check longer than the Republicans could keep their right wing in check.
    End result, you’ve seen your last Republican congress or MAGA POTUS for quite some time.
    People are always so quick to write the obituary of parties when they have bad showings. In point of fact, while the Georgia election was a terrible result for Republicans (mainly Trump's fault), the 2020 election was not particularly bad for Republicans given the fundamentals.

Assuming nothing really weird happens (I mean weirder than already has happened), it stands to reason that Republicans should be in good position for the 2022 midterms, as Democrats control all 3 branches of government and will not be able to keep their promises. Midterms tend to go against the party in power anyway.
  2. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 18:11
    @sh76 said
    People are always so quick to write the obituary of parties when they have bad showings. In point of fact, while the Georgia election was a terrible result for Republicans (mainly Trump's fault), the 2020 election was not particularly bad for Republicans given the fundamentals.

Assuming nothing really weird happens (I mean weirder than already has happened), it stands to reas ...[text shortened]... and will not be able to keep their promises. Midterms tend to go against the party in power anyway.
    It’s not about a bad showing, they actually haven’t had a bad showing in congressional terms. It’s about the disjoint between the trump base and more traditional GOP voters that has come about due to 4yrs of trump in the White House and controlling the GOP under the threat of his base during future state primaries. Recent events and the reaction of those traditional GOP voters at the last election. Voting for republicans on the state side of the ballot but not for Trump on the POTUS side.
    Trump isn’t going to give up his base and the only way he can keep them is firing them up again and again which will continue to alienate traditional republicans. I don’t see how the GOP can square that circle.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 19:22
    @dood111 said
    You call the past year of the left wing rioters burning down buildings attacking cops and looting stores being kept in check?
    Talk to your 'Proud Boys' about that.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jan '21 19:31
    @Suzianne
    You do know he is a card carrying member of those Proud Boys, right?

He might come after you so don't tell him your address😉
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '21 02:49
    @mchill

I remember how you thought the Republicans were done when Obama was elected.

What a short memory you have.
  6. Zugzwang
    Moves
    09 Jan '21 03:17
    @mchill said
    The last fig leaf is gone. The GOP, defeated and fragmented is now going to have to weave it's broken parts together and limp along, after spending 5 years backing a tin - pot dictator who would rather incite goon squads to riot and kill their own citizens, rather than accept the outcome of an election. When Al Gore and Hillary Clinton lost their elections, they were angry...b ...[text shortened]... financial problems once he leaves office? Either way; the future of the GOP is not a pretty one. 😳
    "Go where you belong from now on – into the dustbin of history!"
    --Leon Trotsky
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Jan '21 04:571 edit
    @duchess64 said
    "Go where you belong from now on – into the dustbin of history!"
    --Leon Trotsky
    Wise words.

You’d think McConnell would disappear up his own arse and live the rest of his life hiding in shame.

But just looking at the attitudes of our republican comrades on this forum, or listening to that moron on Fox news, it becomes very clear it’s all someone elses’ fault and that the left-wing anarchists are to blame.

As I’ve pointed out multiple times, this is a situation which is never going to end well.

Basically, the republican top has created a monster (of which trump is nothing more than the accumulated symptom) over the last 50 years... and they do not have a clue how to cage it.

And I understand the monster not wanting to be caged, but the republican top, you saw it in their eyes, have realised what they’ve done.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 18:06
    @kevcvs57 said
    It’s not about a bad showing, they actually haven’t had a bad showing in congressional terms. It’s about the disjoint between the trump base and more traditional GOP voters that has come about due to 4yrs of trump in the White House and controlling the GOP under the threat of his base during future state primaries. Recent events and the reaction of those traditional GOP vote ...[text shortened]... h will continue to alienate traditional republicans. I don’t see how the GOP can square that circle.
    I agree in general with your point, but history dictates that these things will work themselves out. Both parties have had dilemmas just as bad and have always found ways to stumble back into power.
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jan '21 18:07
    @shavixmir said
    Wise words.

You’d think McConnell would disappear up his own arse and live the rest of his life hiding in shame.

But just looking at the attitudes of our republican comrades on this forum, or listening to that moron on Fox news, it becomes very clear it’s all someone elses’ fault and that the left-wing anarchists are to blame.

As I’ve pointed out multiple times, th ...[text shortened]... ting to be caged, but the republican top, you saw it in their eyes, have realised what they’ve done.
    The Republican leadership didn't create Trump. Trump sacked the Republican party and re-made it in his own image.