1. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 01:35
    Originally posted by joe beyser
    The trigger for world war 3.
    That is a possibility, though not probable.
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:19
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Interesting how Obama says to forget a UN investigation because it will not prove anything. Who needs investigations? There is little doubt so just accept what we tell you. We warmongers know best. Get with the program. 😛
    Naive
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:21
    Originally posted by bill718
    It's a no win situation for America. It's either:

1. Take no action and appear weak and indecisive

2. Use air strikes only, and be accused of taking half steps

3. Launch an all out attack, and find ourselves in the same
    expensive nation building quagmire as Iraq and Afganistan

The only thing we can count on, is no matter what course of
    action is taken, Whodey will find something wrong with it! 🙂
    An all out attack is not in the cards that's for sure. It will be something like in Libya, and it will be punitive strikes for violating the international norm of not using chemical weapons against your own people.
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Does the United States have any responsibility to act as world policeman? Can it afford to do so?
    Yes
  5. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:24
    Originally posted by whodey
    The US is not acting as a world policeman. If it were the world's policeman, then the genocide in the Sudan would have never occurred. The bottom line comes down to political power and how to achieve it. The terrorists that oppose Assad are no more righteous than he. The US has simply calculated that their political power will be enhanced by toppling Assa ...[text shortened]... that the US is trying to support. On the opposite side like Russia and Iran who oppose them.
    The US sure did use it later to justify invading Iraq to overthrow Saddam.
  6. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:25
    Can it afford to do so, and still take on presumed domestic social programs? The most often cited, Norway and Finland, don't take on the role of super world cop, and military leader.

The US national debt is reaching a critical mass that will make all such questions truly irrelevant. We won't be able to do any of the above.
    Norm, the numbers are so small in these limited actions with no troops on the ground. Get a clue.
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 03:26
    People don't really care if they are killed by poison gas, machetes, or AK47s. It seems to be true, that as long as the people being killed are black Africans, without control of oil, we don't give a damn.

Is one mode of genocide more favorable than another? The only thing Russia gets out of US involvement is a broke and bankrupt US.
    Bush I and Clinton went into Somalia.
  8. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 13:47
    Originally posted by moon1969
    Norm, the numbers are so small in these limited actions with no troops on the ground. Get a clue.
    How do you know there won't be US troops on the ground eventually? Obama says regime change is not the goal but that is an obvious lie.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 13:54
    Naive
    I was being sarcastic. No investigation needed? Obvious Assad did it? Only an idiot would accept that without evidence.

Only 9% of Americans agree with Obama on this issue. Obama is thumbing his nose at the majority of Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/26/new-poll-syria-intervention-even-less-popular-than-congress/
  10. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 23:11
    I was being sarcastic. No investigation needed? Obvious Assad did it? Only an idiot would accept that without evidence.

Only 9% of Americans agree with Obama on this issue. Obama is thumbing his nose at the majority of Americans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/08/26/new-poll-syria-intervention-even-less-popular-than-congress/
    You miss the point. Americans are war-weary and do not care that Assad used chemical weapons on his own people.
  11. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    28 Aug '13 23:121 edit
    How do you know there won't be US troops on the ground eventually? Obama says regime change is not the goal but that is an obvious lie.
    You are really ignorant. If you think Obama will send US troops into Syria, I got a bridge I can sell you.
  12. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Aug '13 01:08
    Yes
    Why are we as a nation trillions of dollars in debt, and going deeper every year?
  13. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Aug '13 01:09
    You miss the point. Americans are war-weary and do not care that Assad used chemical weapons on his own people.
    Who cares if he used chemical weapons, and I personally don't accept that he did? Would the dead be alive if he had just shot them with 7.62x39mm ammo?
  14. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Aug '13 01:10
    Bush I and Clinton went into Somalia.
    Yes, and they got out in a hurry with the first casualties.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    29 Aug '13 01:11
    Yes, and we have all those nifty military toys so why not use them?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree