1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 16:32
    https://www.who.int/bulletin/online_first/BLT.20.265892.pdf

This was originally submitted in May, before we were using convalescent plasma, Dexamethasone, mab treatments and Remdesivir (in fact, it was right in the heart of the hydroxychloroquine era).

Long story short, the paper infers a median COVID infection fatality rate of 0.23% (or about 1/15 of the scary 3.6% number that was thrown about in March). (Yes, I know I'm comparing CFR to IFR, but that distinction was ignored by the media at the time as well.)

See Table 4 on Page 31.

Obviously, numbers vary widely from place to place and there's no single number presented for the USA. But you can see that, with certain outliers, the numbers were much lower than we were led to believe.

Look also in the far right column for the IFR for people under 70 (including people under 70 with comorbidities). Mostly microscopic numbers.

Given the vastly improving treatments since then, you can probably divide those numbers by at least 2 (maybe 3) to assess the current risk of death from COVID-19.

As I always say, I'm very much in favor of taking low cost steps to be careful (such as masks and avoiding large gatherings), but the Plague this is not, folks. If you're under 70 and relatively healthy, it's exceedingly unlikely that this poses a danger to your life.
  2. Joined
    22 Sep '20
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 16:441 edit
    Bandanas look cooler 😏

Mask wearers I call "diaper face"
  3. Joined
    05 Nov '06
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 17:411 edit
    @sh76 said

This was originally submitted in May, before we were using convalescent plasma, Dexamethasone, mab treatments and Remdesivir (in fact, it was right in the heart of the hydroxychloroquine era).

Long story short, the paper infers a median COVID infection fatality rate of 0.23% (or about 1/15 of the scary 3.6% number ...[text shortened]... re under 70 and relatively healthy, it's exceedingly unlikely that this poses a danger to your life.
    dems used this to harm Trumps strongest accomplishment, the economy..all part of the "insurance plan".
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 17:45
    @sh76 said

Long story short, the paper infers a median COVID infection fatality rate of 0.23% (or about 1/15 of the scary 3.6% number ...[text shortened]... re under 70 and relatively healthy, it's exceedingly unlikely that this poses a danger to your life.
    Again please send this memo to the 1000 folks a day dying of COVID in the US.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 18:291 edit
    @no1marauder said
    Again please send this memo to the 1000 folks a day dying of COVID in the US.
    Not that it really fundamentally matters, but do you know that the 7-day rolling average is under 700 and you're just using 1,000 as a rhetorical point or do you not know that that the 7-day rolling average is under 700?

If the latter, here:

https://twitter.com/TheLawyerCraig/status/1316524298325102592/photo/1
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 18:57
    @sh76 said

Say that to the families of the 220.000 dead.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 19:403 edits
    @shavixmir said
    Say that to the families of the 220.000 dead.
    I probably am, as it's highly likely at least one person reading this board has lost a family member to COVID.

I lost a grandfather to pneumonia. I suppose it would be heartless of you to discuss the facts about pneumonia on this board.

Edit: It shouldn't bother me perhaps, but I'm curious. Do people in Europe generally use decimal points instead of commas in big numbers or is it just you?
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:09
    @sh76 said
    I probably am, as it's highly likely at least one person reading this board has lost a family member to COVID.

I lost a grandfather to pneumonia. I suppose it would be heartless of you to discuss the facts about pneumonia on this board.

Edit: It shouldn't bother me perhaps, but I'm curious. Do people in Europe generally use decimal points instead of commas in big numbers or is it just you?
    Europeans do indeed use decimal points instead of commas for big numbers. It's weird. How do they know where the actual decimal point is? How do they write $100,000.15? I DON'T KNOW
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    15 Oct '20 20:15
    @athousandyoung said
    Europeans do indeed use decimal points instead of commas for big numbers. It's weird. How do they know where the actual decimal point is? How do they write $100,000.15? I DON'T KNOW
    In your case it would be obvious, but how many is this?

How does one tell if that's 3 million or 3 thousand?
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 04:35
    @sh76 said
    Not that it really fundamentally matters, but do you know that the 7-day rolling average is under 700 and you're just using 1,000 as a rhetorical point or do you not know that that the 7-day rolling average is under 700?

If the latter, here:

https://twitter.com/TheLawyerCraig/status/1316524298325102592/photo/1
    (Shrug) Every other week when you start a thread saying COVID is no big deal, I glance at the WM numbers for that day and they always seem to be around 1000, But you're right, "only" 20-25,000 Americans will die this month and for the foreseeable future from this minor annoyance.

You should consider that the type of posts you are making contribute to that death toll if anyone pays any actual attention to them.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 06:56
    @sh76 said

In Germany you would write 220'000 if you wanted to insert a signifier.

It would be 365'423,65 and it is quite clear what is meant.
  12. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 07:02
    Most Europeans use the comma to separate the decimal part of the number, so the period is needed to break up the big numbers.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 09:321 edit
    @sh76 said

In the UK we are about to continue to dismantle the economy, further increase mental health issues, further increase domestic violence and drive the nation into a generational recession where unemployment and cuts in social spending will harm millions and spread misery for decades.

Q. Why?

A. Because covid infections are much higher than wave one back in March

Err. But last March we were doing 6,000 tests a day and now we are doing 250,000 tests a day!
    So don’t you think that might reveal more cases?

Kier Starmer wants a 2 week “circuit breaker” lockdown. For what!? It will only delay the inevitable.

It’s an utter fuk up and we will destroy ourselves.

Oh a couple of days ago the death rate from covid 19 DOUBLED! DOUBLED I SAY.

Oh yes from 50 to 100 per day.
    FFS there are 65,000,000 people in the uk.

Finally, the average age of people dying from covid in the uk is 82.

PROTECT THE ELDERLY!!!

Err. That’s below the average age of death in the uk overall.

Here’s a gun - shoot yourself in the face.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 09:39
    @sh76 said

As I always say, I'm very much in favor of taking low cost steps to be careful (such as masks and avoiding large gatherings), but the Plague this is not, folks. If you're under 70 and relatively healthy, it's exceedingly unlikely that this poses a danger to your life.
    Exactly.

Keeping your economy going is not EVIL, it’s essential for survival and the continuation of our way of life as we know it.

It is essential if you want a health service, social investment , law and order, education...

Wake up people we are shooting ourselves in the face to remove a mole.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '20 10:16

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree