Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Debates Forum

Debates Forum

  1. 05 Feb '16 22:17
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flea-why-i-support-bernie-sanders-20160205
  2. Standard member vivify
    rain
    05 Feb '16 22:36
    Bernie reminds me so much of Ron Paul (at least in spirit, not policy). If Bernie doesn't win the nomination, I'm not voting this year.
  3. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    05 Feb '16 23:07
    Originally posted by vivify
    Bernie reminds me so much of Ron Paul (at least in spirit, not policy). If Bernie doesn't win the nomination, I'm not voting this year.
    You could vote for Dr. Jill Stein, who will be on the Green Party ticket again this year.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jill_Stein

    http://www.gp.org/
  4. 05 Feb '16 23:09
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/flea-why-i-support-bernie-sanders-20160205
    Down the page a bit, I saw where Bernie want to subsidize college education. The problem with this is that gradually a HS education keeps getting degraded, and the new college education replaces it. The result will be even fewer technically trained individuals for the job market. Typically, people who don't pay for education are not highly motivated to make the most of it.
  5. 05 Feb '16 23:16
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Down the page a bit, I saw where Bernie want to subsidize college education. The problem with this is that gradually a HS education keeps getting degraded, and the new college education replaces it. The result will be even fewer technically trained individuals for the job market. Typically, people who don't pay for education are not highly motivated to make the most of it.
    A few German states experimented with tuition fees, and then abandoned them as they found out they have no influence whatsoever on the motivation of students. The only thing tuition fees do is mildly discourage students (especially from poorer backgrounds) from starting a college education, and induce a lot of waste through added bureaucracy and needless pumping around of money.
  6. Standard member Soothfast
    0,1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,
    05 Feb '16 23:25 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Down the page a bit, I saw where Bernie want to subsidize college education. The problem with this is that gradually a HS education keeps getting degraded, and the new college education replaces it. The result will be even fewer technically trained individuals for the job market. Typically, people who don't pay for education are not highly motivated to make the most of it.
    One of Bernie's points has been that, nowadays, a college education has become essential to make a decent living to the same degree that a high school education was essential two or three generations ago. Thus, if society now demands that you have a college education to "succeed" in life, much as it demands everyone to have a high school education, it stands to reason that society should subsidize college education the same way it subsidizes high school education. But Sanders doesn't propose that society at large pay for free college tuition; rather, he proposes taxing market speculation and the financial industry. Wall Street and corporate American benefit handsomely from a college educated workforce, and both have received generous taxpayer-funded bailouts to the tune of trillions of dollars over the past quarter century.

    Payback time.
  7. 05 Feb '16 23:32
    Originally posted by vivify
    Bernie reminds me so much of Ron Paul (at least in spirit, not policy). If Bernie doesn't win the nomination, I'm not voting this year.
    Have you alerted the media?
  8. 05 Feb '16 23:52
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    A few German states experimented with tuition fees, and then abandoned them as they found out they have no influence whatsoever on the motivation of students. The only thing tuition fees do is mildly discourage students (especially from poorer backgrounds) from starting a college education, and induce a lot of waste through added bureaucracy and needless pumping around of money.
    I have no objection to public financing of education, other than that so far the indications are that Americans don't value what they get without cost. High school students seem to really disparage and do the minimum possible despite many AP classes being made available in High School. In an effort to equalize opportunity, we could limit or eliminate the motivations which identify special talents and abilities.
  9. Standard member vivify
    rain
    06 Feb '16 00:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    Have you alerted the media?
    Did that make you feel big?
  10. 06 Feb '16 00:37 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by normbenign to Zahlanzi
    Down the page a bit, I saw where Bernie want to subsidize college education. The problem with this is that gradually a HS education keeps getting degraded, and the new college education replaces it. The result will be even fewer technically trained individuals for the job market. Typically, people who don't pay for education are not highly motivated to make the most of it.
    An extremely arrogant nearly illiterate self-described 'street vendor' (who has boasted
    of attending some community college classes) such as Normbenign hardly seems to be
    in a position to appreciate what higher education can offer. Indeed, Normbenign often
    spews ignorant nonsense (as KazetNagorra has noted) about what takes place in
    university classrooms (of which Normbenign has no experience).

    A university's mission is not only to provide vocational education for the immediate job market.
  11. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    06 Feb '16 05:04
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    and induce a lot of waste through added bureaucracy and needless pumping around of money.
    I agree with this, cut out the middle man, the IRS and numerous goobermint buratcracies.
  12. 06 Feb '16 05:14
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    An extremely arrogant nearly illiterate self-described 'street vendor' (who has boasted
    of attending some community college classes) such as Normbenign hardly seems to be
    in a position to appreciate what higher education can offer. Indeed, Normbenign often
    spews ignorant nonsense (as KazetNagorra has noted) about what takes place in
    university class ...[text shortened]... A university's mission is not only to provide vocational education for the immediate job market.
    I don't stand on any credentials, but on the power of my words. That's all we have here. Here, claims of grandeur are just claims. We really don't know what Duchess64's background is, except that we know for certain she has a highly inflated self image, which she feeds primarily by dumping on others.

    By the way, I have two degree holding daughters, so I do have an appreciation of higher education, and continue mine in old age with no degree as a goal, only the love of learning. So stick it up your arrogant ARSE.
  13. Subscriber Wajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    06 Feb '16 05:19 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I don't stand on any credentials, but on the power of my words. That's all we have here. Here, claims of grandeur are just claims. We really don't know what Duchess64's background is, except that we know for certain she has a highly inflated self image, which she feeds primarily by dumping on others.

    By the way, I have two degree holding daughters, s ...[text shortened]... old age with no degree as a goal, only the love of learning. So stick it up your arrogant ARSE.
    To be fair Norm I think duchess is very adept at the art of 'google'.
  14. 06 Feb '16 11:13
    Originally posted by normbenign
    I have no objection to public financing of education, other than that so far the indications are that Americans don't value what they get without cost. High school students seem to really disparage and do the minimum possible despite many AP classes being made available in High School. In an effort to equalize opportunity, we could limit or eliminate the motivations which identify special talents and abilities.
    What are these "indications" precisely?
  15. 06 Feb '16 13:23
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Down the page a bit, I saw where Bernie want to subsidize college education. The problem with this is that gradually a HS education keeps getting degraded, and the new college education replaces it. Typically, people who don't pay for education are not highly motivated to make the most of it.
    "The result will be even fewer technically trained individuals for the job market."
    the result will be fewer smart young men and women who don't go to college because they can't afford it.

    the result will be fewer young men and women who don't join gangs because they are stupid teens with no prospect of a future.


    a college education is at the very least hope. it turns the child into a young adult. it gives him choices.