1. Germany
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 11:521 edit
    Originally posted by highdraw
    ...Sorry I side with the US and UK. We are at an Impasse.

I believe Hans Bliix must have misunderstood the mandate that Saddam capitulate to the will of the nations that allowed him to retain his place after he illegally had invaded Kuwait just a few short years prior.

Unless I misunderstand...you believe that Saddam should have remained in power?
    Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction (otherwise they would have been found by now), so what interest did he have in obstructing the UN inspectors? Did he want the US to invade? He knew they were looking for an excuse to do so. Saddam was a brutal dictator, but probably not quite that stupid. I don't think Blix "misunderstood" anything, rather he is euphemistically saying what everyone already knows: Bush and Blair were lying.
  2. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 11:55
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Saddam did not have weapons of mass destruction (otherwise they would have been found by now), so what interest did he have in obstructing the UN inspectors? Did he want the US to invade? He knew they were looking for an excuse to do so. Saddam was a brutal dictator, but probably not quite that stupid.
    The fact that his escape plan involved hiding in a hole in the ground suggests that he did not think the U.S. would invade which suggests that he knew that the U.S. knew that he did not have WMD.
  3. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:00
    Earlier in this thread someone posted some information on chemical weapons that were in fact found in Iraq. (He had used some of them to kill 5000 of his people)

I am more comfortable knowing that Saddam and his 2 butcher sons are not abusing people anymore. I understand that there are some people who are upset that Saddam is no longer there in Iraq. I don't understand how these people can be so cold to the poor citizens and the future of Iraq.
  4. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:06
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    The fact that his escape plan involved hiding in a hole in the ground suggests that he did not think the U.S. would invade which suggests that he knew that the U.S. knew that he did not have WMD.
    That or he in fact was a megalomaniac that never believed that he could be ousted from his rule regardless of what he did. Why would he have thought the US would not invade? I think it was clear to everyone at the time that we were going in there.....
  5. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:21
    Why would he have thought the US would not invade?
    Because he did not have significant WMD - he had complied, as we now know - and of course he knew that - and the UN and US knew that - and he knew that the UN and US knew that - one could ask: why would he have thought the US would invade? He miscalculated, clearly. If he HAD had WMD I think his escape plan would have involved something a little more sophisticated than hiding in a hole in the ground.
  6. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:21
    Earlier in this thread someone posted some information on chemical weapons that were in fact found in Iraq. (He had used some of them to kill 5000 of his people)

I am more comfortable knowing that Saddam and his 2 butcher sons are not abusing people anymore. I understand that there are some people who are upset that Saddam is no longer there in Iraq. I don't understand how these people can be so cold to the poor citizens and the future of Iraq.
    No one is upset that Saddam is no longer in power, most people are upset that what Iraq has gone through in the last decade was too high a price for that.

Besides, if deposing Saddam was worth it according to you, than there is a slew of other countries that are in need of some urgent US intervention as well. Most of these even have the advantage that people will actually be pleased to see you there. Imagine what good a couple of US divisions could do to Eastern Congo for starters.
  7. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

8. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:24

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:39
    dancewater said...
    It is striking to me how much attention the Wikileaks papers are getting in Europe, and how little in the USA.

I have found a lot of new pictures in the Guardian (UK) and Spiegel -- and are putting them up on my FACES OF GRIEF blog.

And I am trying to find the reports on the incidents that injured two Iraqi girls I know (Salee and Rusal) but no luck so far. They were shot at by a US gunship on November 6 or November 7 in 2006 in Hasswa. Their brother and another child in the neighborhood were killed in the attack. No adults were even injured.

This war is a monstrous hideous evil, and it is the American people who are the hideously evil perpetrators of this war of aggression. Most of them are too immoral to even realize what they have done.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8812043282272915800&postID=8870573233551472688
  10. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:50
    1/0 Zeblebot!
  11. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:54
    Originally posted by Salad45
    This war is a monstrous hideous evil, and it is the American people who are the hideously evil perpetrators of this war of aggression. Most of them are too immoral to even realize what they have done.
    You are a hyperventilating euroweenie.
  12. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 12:56
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    You are a hyperventilating euroweenie.
    Keep bending over for me I love it when you scream.
  13. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 13:54
    Originally posted by Barts
    No one is upset that Saddam is no longer in power, most people are upset that what Iraq has gone through in the last decade was too high a price for that.

Besides, if deposing Saddam was worth it according to you, than there is a slew of other countries that are in need of some urgent US intervention as well. Most of these even have the advantage that peop ...[text shortened]... ee you there. Imagine what good a couple of US divisions could do to Eastern Congo for starters.
    I'm not sure if the price was too high. What would the price of leaving Saddam and his 2 knucklehead sons in power would have been. If he gassed another couple of towns...would you have been there saying we let Saddam rule there to long we should have done more to oust him?

I agree I think that something should be done about the other awful dictators in the world. If it wasn't so popular to put down the US and other nations for doing the right thing for oppressed people the world might be a more peaceful place....but it seems whatever action the US takes there are always a sizable group of people there to tear us down.
  14. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 13:56
    it seems whatever action the US takes there are always a sizable group of people there to tear us down.
    Maybe the US should make a point of taking these people out first.
  15. Joined
    25 Oct '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 13:56
    I'm not sure if the price was too high. What would the price of leaving Saddam and his 2 knucklehead sons in power would have been. If he gassed another couple of towns...would you have been there saying we let Saddam rule there to long we should have done more to oust him?

I agree I think that something should be done about the other awful dictators i ...[text shortened]... whatever action the US takes there are always a sizable group of people there to tear us down.
    Well ther is 100,000 - 1,000,000+ dead people as a result. What exactly is diff?? It's ther own choice. This is why Iraqis do not beg for US of A to save ther ass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree