1. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 15:29
    what is a good reason to invade a country then?

I disagree that the situation in the long term is worse...certainly there has been alot of pain in the last ten years...but to say the situation is not improving is a stretch at best.

I certainly don't feel under attack.... it just seems as if people make the US out to be some evil empire lashing out with all its power without reason.... I try but cannot comprehend why so many people take this tact...to me the US is still a shining example of how great humanity can be. Are there awful things that occur in the US and atrocities commited by people in the US...and in the name of the US...sorry to say yes...but the US is trying to do the right thing the lions share of the time....and should be thanked for that.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 16:321 edit
    Surely, more Iraqis died in the last decade than in the decade prior to it - even if you count Kurd gassing. However, only time will tell whether or not the long term effects of the invasion were good, for all we know there might be a well-functioning democracy there in 25 years. Or just another cesspool of violence, of course.

A good reason to invade a country: being attacked by a conquest army from that country.
  3. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:54

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    06 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 22:55
    Originally posted by highdraw

I disagree that the situation in the long term is worse...certainly there has been alot of pain in the last ten years...but to say the situation is not improving is a stretch at best.

I certainly don't feel under attack.... it just seems as if people make the US out to be some evil empire lashing out wit ...[text shortened]... is trying to do the right thing the lions share of the time....and should be thanked for that.

Let's put it at a point between rapists and holocaust, where exactly is a discussion I won't get into.

I'd say going down even further would have been quite the achievement. But it's like Kazet says, we won't know if it was worth it until a couple more decades/centuries have passed. The rebound had better be pretty spectacular to outweigh 10 years of warfare though.

I certainly don't feel under attack.... it just seems as if people make the US out to be some evil empire lashing out with all its power without reason.... I try but cannot comprehend why so many people take this tact...to me the US is still a shining example of how great humanity can be. Are there awful things that occur in the US and atrocities commited by people in the US...and in the name of the US...sorry to say yes...but the US is trying to do the right thing the lions share of the time....and should be thanked for that.

Dangerous lines to answer to for sure. I don't share your belief that the US is the shining example of the human race. America is far from bad as far as superpowers go and I don't think Western Europe can soon forget it's debt from WWII, but the USA has done enough to disqualify it from the moral high-ground during it's recent history. In that America is very far from alone in this world, but there are very few countries as good as setting themselves up as targets. If you're playing world police, it shouldn't be a surprise that people will call you out on the things you do wrong yourself.

Add to that the fact that you're still on our side. I could fill quite a list of countries far worse than the USA, but those countries have nothing in common with us, are not our allies. If Iran is being crazy again, than that's not my business as long as they don't start throwing nukes around. If the USA is off on a completely pointless war, throwing some more oil on the West vs. Middle East fire, than that does concern me. Compare it with some drunk guy making a fool of himself on the street, usually you just walk past,but if it's a friend of yours you die from embarrassment and try to drag him home and put him into bed.

As to you saying that the USA should be thanked for for trying to do the right thing most of the time, I'd say I agree. However, that thank you will not come in the form of silence when you do the wrong thing. I reserve the right to think America is pretty OK overall while still criticizing it when they do something wrong.
  5. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 12:06
    Barts...we may be closer to agreement than disagreement...
  6. Joined
    27 Oct '10
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 12:23

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree