1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 15:55
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    My guess is they will "repeal" it right away by giving it a sunset date, giving them time to work out the replacement bill.
    I wonder how many people will die needlessly when it is repealed before they get insurance again? I am think like what happened to veterans waiting for a doctor for months or years and dying in the meantime.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 21:40
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I wonder how many people will die needlessly when it is repealed before they get insurance again? I am think like what happened to veterans waiting for a doctor for months or years and dying in the meantime.
    I wonder how many will needlessly die with it in place.

Funny how lives have been saved with Obamacare, from improved hospital procedures not insurance at all.
  3. Joined
    29 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Nov '16 22:40
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    I'm beginning to have my doubts. I'm thinking that what they'll do is throw in some tweaks and say that it's too late to repeal it entirely and then try to blame the Democrats for not working with them earlier. But considering that not one Republican offered an amendment which could earn their vote, it could be a tough sell except to the lowest of informati ...[text shortened]... tp://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/i-got-to-see-replace-dems-bait-gop-to-unveil-and-ocare-replacement
    a
  4. Standard memberfinnegan
    GENS UNA SUMUS
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 11:50
    http://bit.ly/2ggl5V9

The refusal of the wealthiest nation on the planet to provide healthcare for its own people is shameful.

The UK under right wing dominance is changing its NHS system to model it on America. The results are already becoming visible.

Sick.
  5. Germany
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 12:07
    Originally posted by finnegan
    http://bit.ly/2ggl5V9

The refusal of the wealthiest nation on the planet to provide healthcare for its own people is shameful.

The UK under right wing dominance is changing its NHS system to model it on America. The results are already becoming visible.

Sick.
    The NHS is actually one of the most efficient health care systems in the world. Leave it to the Tories to screw it up.
  6. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 13:291 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    I've read about the alternatives that are being proposed. Most will help people who make a solid income; i.e., the upper middle class. They are based on things like destructibility of premiums, HSA expansion and allowing inter-state competition (which will absolutely drive down premiums). These things will definitely help people like me; i.e., people who can af ...[text shortened]... health insurance but whose premiums have skyrocketed - and I do mean SKYROCKETED - recently.
    As a point of reference, what does medical insurance similar to yours cost in the US?

In Australia, one of the most comprehensive Hospital and Extra Cover options can set you back around $650 per month ( per couple), though very few Australians would be getting cover that expensive. Typical costs would be around $350 per month for family cover.

https://www.medibank.com.au/health-insurance/couples/
    Have a look at that link if you could and tell me for the money you spend which plan listed correlates best to what you're paying.

Australia brought in a free health system in the 70's but by the 90's there were government incentives to get private health insurance and we have a mixed free/user pays system, where if you can wait for elective surgery you might wait in turn in the public system, but if you want surgery done immediately having private health cover gives you choice. Though in terms of quality of work done its the same surgeons who work in both private and public settings and often the public hospitals are also teaching hospitals so they tend to be better resourced so you would only go private if you wanted the peace of mind to have issues dealt with without a lengthy wait.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    27 Nov '16 16:395 edits
    If you go to a teaching hospital you are a guinea pig.

When my son was born my wife's uncle suggested using the university's top doctor. We did with insurance at a private hospital hoping to avoid students.

The light they put on babies got turned off and they came back to take his temp and it dropped. The doctor took him and had his students practice sticking needles in his spinal chord. They killed him.

They had to bag him to save his life. Code blue was what I heard over the loud speakers.

The real doctor in neo natal icu took him and we were able to take him home after two days from there.

A buddy of mine's wife was a nurse and on duty at the time. She said it is not uncommon for temps to drop like that but he was looking for an excuse for his students to practice sticking babies in the spinal column.

I feel for people who have to be guinea pigs for health care. Hair cuts fine, but not health care.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    29 Nov '16 23:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    I think Trump will further the cause of a single payer system, especially since everyone hates the ACA and there is no conservative in sight to challenge the establishment.
    Price won't let that happen.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 01:11
    Originally posted by kmax87
    As a point of reference, what does medical insurance similar to yours cost in the US?

In Australia, one of the most comprehensive Hospital and Extra Cover options can set you back around $650 per month ( per couple), though very few Australians would be getting cover that expensive. Typical costs would be around $350 per month for family cover.

https:/ ...[text shortened]... nly go private if you wanted the peace of mind to have issues dealt with without a lengthy wait.
    How much tax money goes into the health system?

Tax money plus you private insurance premiums should be combined when calculating cost.

Do you have insurance with a deductible or copay or is service free with premiums?
  10. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 01:444 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    How much tax money goes into the health system?

Tax money plus you private insurance premiums should be combined when calculating cost.

Do you have insurance with a deductible or copay or is service free with premiums?
    Australians willingly pay a 2% (on income) tax to the Medicare system, because we know our poorest are taken care of, as we will be ourselves if we choose not to pay private cover. Also a 10% consumption tax on non-food items.

The public system is totally free, not a cent for anything including discharge pharmacy and home after-care nurses. There can be a longish wait for non-life-threatening surgery though.

We pay $260 per month (for a couple) for top private hospital cover, no exclusions, $500 excess per person per year. We've paid out the $500 several times over the years but we're still ahead on that. We don't subscribe to "extras" cover which in my opinion is poor value for money, although it would be OK for some lifestyles.

Australians would annihilate at the ballot box any party/group which wanted an American-style health system. Because voting is compulsory here, we take an interest in what our politicians do, not the propaganda they spout for the media.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 02:01
    I think the Price nomination positively answers the question that is the topic of this thread.http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/28/news/economy/tom-price-trump-health-secretary/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

Millions of people are going to very quickly lose their health insurance.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 02:01
    Willingly? Does that mean? Is it voluntary?
  13. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 02:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Willingly? Does that mean? Is it voluntary?
    Not voluntary, assuming that you tell the truth to the Tax Office. I meant that it's an issue that we as a nation of active voters feel very strongly about.
  14. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 02:31
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Not voluntary, assuming that you tell the truth to the Tax Office. I meant that it's an issue that we as a nation of active voters feel very strongly about.
    Get ready for the well-worn "taxes are theft!" spiel.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Nov '16 02:33
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Of which any minority gets trampled upon by the majority to the point that all pay the tax happily.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree