1. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:54
    This open for discussion,Is it to early to give it to Joe (swine flu) Biden? Maybe Al (i created the internet)Gore? Or perhaps Dan (potato,potatoe)Quayle?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:56
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    This open for discussion,Is it to early to give it to Joe (swine flu) Biden? Maybe Al (i created the internet)Gore? Or perhaps Dan (potato,potatoe)Quayle?
    I am curious. What was so bad about Gore's vice-presidency?
  3. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:57
    Dick Cheney is up there.
  4. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    24 May '09 23:59
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am curious. What was so bad about Gore's vice-presidency?
    Just naming recent VP's. You have an opinion on the worst?
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:00
    Originally posted by PsychoPawn
    Dick Cheney is up there.
    I would have thought so too. But surely Spiro Agnew would be any non-partisan person's choice out of those VPs in living memory?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:01
    Just naming recent VP's. You have an opinion on the worst?
    I am genuinely curious. What was so bad about Gore's vice-presidency?
  7. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    I did not say one way or the other. The man invented the internet for crying out loud! Cant be that bad! I just threw out a couple of examples to spur debate. Heres some more,Ford,Bush, Lyndon Johnson,Andrew Johnson?
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:15
    Until Cheney, no Vice President really did anything significant. then Cheney came along and basically ran the show. The Vice President's job historically has been:

1) Help your candidate get elected

2) Lead the clapping during the State of the Union Speech

3) Get some good photo-ops and do some campaigning and fund raising

4) Don't say anything dumb

Other than what the President allows him, the VP has no other power (the tie-breaking vote in the Senate is sometimes significant, but not very often).

After Cheney, Biden seems to be a throwback VP, as Obama doesn't seem to want to give him all that much power. He's already shown himself incapable of staying away from saying dumb things.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:26
    Originally posted by sh76
    Until Cheney, no Vice President really did anything significant.
    A whodey like oversimplification, I must say. Offence intended. Walter F. Mondale - for instance - transformed the office of VP and paved the way for the more powerful vice presidents who followed. He was pretty heavily engaged in domestic and foreign policy, he was also the first vice president to have an office actually in the White House and had unprecedented, frequent access to the president.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:471 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Gore has the honor of saying one of my all time favorite quotes. When questioned about possible illegal political contributions from China he said, "We did nothing wrong, and we will never do it again".

I kid you not!! And he even said it with a straight face. 😲
  11. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:481 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    A whodey like oversimplification, I must say. Offence intended. Walter F. Mondale - for instance - transformed the office of VP and paved the way for the more powerful vice presidents who followed. He was pretty heavily engaged in domestic and foreign policy, he was also the first vice president to have an office actually in the White House and had unprecedented, frequent access to the president.
    Don't worry; no offense taken.

I'm not old enough to remember Mondale's tenure; so I'll defer on that. Daddy Bush, Quayle and Gore did nothing significant in VP office other than campaign to be the next president, go after sitcoms and some other nonsense like that.
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 May '09 00:58
    Do you really think that Biden can be blamed for the swine flu?

My money's on Cheney, or maybe Agnew. At least none of the above that you mentioned tried to take over the world, justify torture, set up an illegal invasion of Iraq, etc.
  13. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    25 May '09 01:03
    Originally posted by scherzo

My money's on Cheney, or maybe Agnew. At least none of the above that you mentioned tried to take over the world, justify torture, set up an illegal invasion of Iraq, etc.
    What planet are you on? I never said he is to blame for the swine flu! Its a gaffe!
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    25 May '09 01:06
    Originally posted by scherzo
    He meant Biden's ultra-dumb comment that he wouldn't feel safe (or send his family on or something to that effect) on a subway or plane because of the swine flu.

For the VP of the country, that is about the dumbest comment I can remember.

I expect him one of these days to say that we shouldn't go to work in the winter time because we might catch colds.
  15. At the Revolution
    Moves
    25 May '09 01:31
    Originally posted by sh76
    He meant Biden's ultra-dumb comment that he wouldn't feel safe (or send his family on or something to that effect) on a subway or plane because of the swine flu.

For the VP of the country, that is about the dumbest comment I can remember.

I expect him one of these days to say that we shouldn't go to work in the winter time because we might catch colds.
    Aside from the one that directly preceded him.

Now listen, I'm no fan of Biden either. But I don't think we can mention him in a thread about worst VP's without saying Cheney 10 times.

So:
    Biden
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney
    Cheney

Sorry.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree