1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '09 17:412 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Calm down. That second post of mine ("cont'd" ) was clearly tongue in cheek. Did it really require a smiley?
    Actually, I thought it was pretty clever the way you said "the spite that you (and KN) mentioned" as if to say "Hey, you're the one who mentioned this strange grudge you have against the poor... not me."

My post was also not 100% serious ("silly me" ).

Inflections and tones do get lost on the printed word, unfortunately.
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 May '09 17:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Being one pay cheque away from financial disaster is a pretty good working definition of "poor" in the "rich" world. If one of your children gets sick in a fairly straight forward way and yet it wreaks an existential threat upon your household economy, despite both parents working long and hard and honestly - that's a passable, rough-hewn definition of "poor" ap ...[text shortened]... s "a relative term" in "rich" economies. No? Is it really such a hard term to use?
    I was just looking for an excuse to use the Wolfe quote.

No excuses for this one though:

"America’s founders launched a political, economic, and social system that unleashed individual ambition worldwide. Our formula for success has bestowed humankind a string of stunning achievements, ranging from doubled life expectancy, free and instant long-distance communication, legal equality for minorities, and material abundance that would make a sun king wince with envy."

- Jim Rubens, Seven Ways To Heal America’s Success Obsession

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree