1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 17:37
    Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed as I just returned from a European vacation. Watching the news I saw a lot of different footage of the protests in France regarding the change in retirement age. I found this coverage humorous for a couple reasons:

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that this is hardly a big deal at all? I am shocked that people feel they have the right to retire at such an early age.

2. I saw footage of a lot of angry protestors with balaclavas and what not trying to provoke police, etc. All the protestors I saw acting this way couldn't have been older than 25 and didn't look like they had ever held a meaningful job in their lives. Is this a case of naive and restless youth in France with nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 17:40
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed as I just returned from a European vacation. Watching the news I saw a lot of different footage of the protests in France regarding the change in retirement age. I found this coverage humorous for a couple reasons:

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that ...[text shortened]... nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?
    I am interested too in what people think. It just seems really funny that people who do not even have their first job are worried about the retirement age.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 17:45

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that ...[text shortened]... nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?
    Certain personalities need to challenge "the enemy" when they're young just to show their machoness.

Then again maybe they all live with Mom.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 18:00
    Just a cultural thing, they like protesting regardless of age.
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 18:50
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    Just a cultural thing, they like protesting regardless of age.
    ...or issue, I suppose.

Perhaps it's a case of the media showing all the wrong shots but I can't help but wonder why these youth provocateurs are taken seriously and not beaten and jailed for their troubles. Or maybe they're not?
  6. Germany
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 18:55
    ...or issue, I suppose.

Perhaps it's a case of the media showing all the wrong shots but I can't help but wonder why these youth provocateurs are taken seriously and not beaten and jailed for their troubles. Or maybe they're not?
    Because beating and jailing them is a sure recipe for creating riots that really get out of hand, see the riots a couple of years back when two kids were electrocuted after being chased by police.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Shoot the Squatters?
    tinyurl.com/43m7k8bw
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 18:57
    Because beating and jailing them is a sure recipe for creating riots that really get out of hand, see the riots a couple of years back when two kids were electrocuted after being chased by police.
    Or the French Revolution.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 19:481 edit
    It was a joke.

Sort of.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 19:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Or the French Revolution.
    If I remember correctly, the French Revolution is what happens when you let kids run the country. 😛
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 19:54

I think it was the jazz pianist Keith Jarrett who remarked -

"Never has the veneer of civilisation been so thin as it is in France"

Or something like that.
  11. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Oct '10 23:52

To a generation that has resigned itself to digging its own grave, the idealism and energy of the youth can be intolerable reminders of their own failure to change the world.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 00:09
    The lazy Greeks are not better.
  13. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 00:33
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I think it was the jazz pianist Keith Jarrett who remarked -

"Never has the veneer of civilisation been so thin as it is in France"

Or something like that.
    Jarrett is unlikely to have been talking about anything much beyond his infamous contempt for audience members coughing during his concerts.
  14. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 00:44
    Originally posted by Eladar
    The lazy Greeks are not better.
    I'm with you, Eladar. Each nation state and/or civilization beyond our own shores needs an analytical adjective to sum up their relative inadequacy succinctly.
  15. Subscriberkmax87
    Blade Runner
    Republicants
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 04:37
    Originally posted by rwingett
    To a generation that has resigned itself to digging its own grave, the idealism and energy of the youth can be intolerable reminders of their own failure to change the world.
    ... ah, the arrogance of youth...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree