1. Germany
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 07:01
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    I'm with you, Eladar. Each nation state and/or civilization beyond our own shores needs an analytical adjective to sum up their relative inadequacy succinctly.
    You're FMF pretending to be a Sam the Sham clone? You have such a strange sense of humour.
  2. Pepperland
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:00
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    You're FMF pretending to be a Sam the Sham clone? You have such a strange sense of humour.
    He is DSR pretending to be FMF impersonating a Sam the Sham clone.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 19:42
    Originally posted by kmax87
    ... ah, the arrogance of youth...
    Youth still have lives to live. Those who are about to die should not define how we live.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:23
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Youth still have lives to live. Those who are about to die should not define how we live.
    How we live? How old are you exactly?
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 20:41
    Originally posted by darvlay
    How we live? How old are you exactly?
    A/S/L?!
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    28 Oct '10 21:36
    Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed as I just returned from a European vacation. Watching the news I saw a lot of different footage of the protests in France regarding the change in retirement age. I found this coverage humorous for a couple reasons:

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that ...[text shortened]... nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?
    Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed as I just returned from a European vacation. Watching the news I saw a lot of different footage of the protests in France regarding the change in retirement age. I found this coverage humorous for a couple reasons:

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that this is hardly a big deal at all? I am shocked that people feel they have the right to retire at such an early age.

The question should be why does the retirement age need to increase in the first place?

2. I saw footage of a lot of angry protestors with balaclavas and what not trying to provoke police, etc. All the protestors I saw acting this way couldn't have been older than 25 and didn't look like they had ever held a meaningful job in their lives. Is this a case of naive and restless youth in France with nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?

It was way more than just young punks with buttons on their shirts. Why should the average working man be forced to work 2 extra years because a bunch of bankers gambled and lost?

It's class warfare all over, again. It will only get worse in the coming years. California anyone?
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    01 Nov '10 18:42

1. The raising of the retirement age from 60 to 62. Am I out of my head to think that ...[text shortened]... nothing better to do or are their youth really that concerned about the retirement age?
    this may have been offered already but here goes:

In a country with high unemployment, one of the few ways that jobs become available is through retirement. If a whole group of workers must retire two years later, that backs up the people trying to enter the job market.

It has been suggested that one way to quickly end unemployement in the US is to have a six month window where workers from 62-65 can retire at full benefits including medicaire. this would open up millions of jobs quickly. There would be little cost to the government because the new workers currently on unemployment would come of the dole and be paying the unemployment taxes of the newly retired.

the employers would benefit because newer workers would be working for lower wages. Everyone wins.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree